Multi Monitor, Multi card

maddude

2[H]4U
Hey, I'm running 2 monitors right now on an 8800gt, and want to add another monitor. I've done this before years ago on an ATi 9700Pro AGP and an ATi 9250 PCI. I'm not sure if things have changed with PCI-e now. More specifically, I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard with 2 16x PCI-e slots for graphics. I know the second one is only a 4x, and I know that SLI isn't supported, which is where my concerns come in. Can I add a second card, like an 8600 for the other monitors, I don't need them to be driven by a top of the line card. I just need the extra screen space.

So I guess my question to anyone who knows is, can I add a second Nvidia card to this board and run a total of 3 monitors.

you should be able to run up to 4 then, (2 connectors per card).

and yea, just invest in a low end nvidia solution for that slot and you should be fine :)

yes you can. I have been running 3 monitors for a while now with 2 different nvidia cards. Works well, in both XP and Vista.

BTW, I would just suggest that you look at the list of gpu supported by the nvidia driver and make sure that 2nd low end card is on that list,

and yes the 8600 is on the list but might still be overkill.

So it won't be a problem on this board? That's my main concern. I know it won't support SLI, which is fine by me, I just didn't know how it'd react with 2 Nvidia gpu's in there.

Back