Multi-GPU RAM requirement?

jfharper

Limp Gawd
Is there a rule of thumb for how much ram to install for a mult-gpu system?

16 GB seems to be the sweet spot for gaming regardless of GPU count these days. You should be fine with that.

3d rendering...but now I use no more than 20 gb for 2 cards, if I up the cards to 4 or 6 will I need more ram because of the extra cards

3d rendering...but now I use no more than 20 gb for 2 cards, if I up the cards to 4 or 6 will I need more ram because of the extra cards

Probably. Though I can't answer that from experience, since the last time I ran more than 2 cards was with 3 8800GTXs - not exactly relevant.

In this day and age I would never build a rendering workstation with less than 32 GB of RAM.

There 's no RAM requirement for MultiGPU setups. The game would use the same amount of RAM on a single card or on multiple ones. However, 16 GB is like the most reasonable bang-for-buck amount to have for today's games.

However, if you run 3D Rendering stuff, no amount of RAM will be enough. I wouldn't consider anything less than 32 GB of RAM.

There 's no RAM requirement for MultiGPU setups. The game would use the same amount of RAM on a single card or on multiple ones. However, 16 GB is like the most reasonable bang-for-buck amount to have for today's games.

However, if you run 3D Rendering stuff, no amount of RAM will be enough. I wouldn't consider anything less than 32 GB of RAM.

Read.

I think the OP is remembering back when 32bit CPUs, memory subsystems and OSes meant that a certain amount of system memory within the 4GB address space was reserved for memory-mapped/direct-access video card operations which could limit the amount of memory available for applications. The amount of memory reserved was dependent on how much video memory each video card had and how many cards were installed. PAE helped, but was not ideal.
With 64-bit it's no longer an issue.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258883-33-graphic-card-stole-memory

Back