Multi-Function Printer

DeathbyPutz

Limp Gawd
So, I've had the same old HP printer hooked up to my computer since '99, and my wife's printer (multi-function) won't do any of the multiple functions that make it worth desktop real estate. Add to the preceding that my wife's job just placed her in a remote/telecommute position, so they gave her an extra $100 for office supplies. We figured we should pick up a new printer.

Seems like printers are pretty rediculous in variety now, so I was looking for any suggestions that you guys might have.

What we're looking for:
Inkjet
Decent page/min printing speed (but we don't print a ton)
Scanner/Copier (some sort of built-in fax program would be a bonus)
Good ink solution (where there are individual cartridges for the cyan/magenta/yellow/etc, instead of just black and "color")
Small-ish (not looking for a goliath)
We don't need a screen for picture previewing, or on-board re-sizing or any other jazz (though I'm aware that just about every all-in-one has those features now, so we're not opposed to them, just not a requirement)... the more bells and whistles, the more potential points of failure

Budget is <$200, I'd like to keep it around $150.

Oh, best part, we have to order it/buy it by Thursday (money has to be spent in 2009)

Thanks for any advice

I have a Brother MFC-490cw and I have no serious complaints with it. I feel it cleans itself a little too often but it prints fairly quickly. It has inputs in the front for auto-printing pictures. Print quality is great for the price and it has it's own sleep mode so it is always "on" but not sucking down huge amounts of power.

Last edited:
Thanks, SlowCobra... looked into your model, and it looks like it would work well for us. Looks like the MFC-495CW is on Amazon for 99.99, so that would be perfect probably.

Back