Multi direction constant ping with recording capabilities?

Hey all.

I was wondering if anyone know of a simple ping tool that can be setup bascially as a ping xx.xx.xx.xx -t but it records every response instead of logging to a buffer. We are trying to tackle a very unique network annomalie and this would be a helpful step.

In a perfect world, we would like to source a ping from one address and then its destination would go to two diff IP subnets in diff datacenters. I don't have peer router access levels hence why we cant just capture from router debugs.

Thanks

It's probably complete overkill just for what you're doing, but I use Cacti to do this (among other things...). I use the Advanced Ping template. Probably not the best tool for short-term monitoring, or if this is the only metric you're looking at, but the output is pretty nice:

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/456/graphimagephp.png

(OT: Why does the little box at the bottom say the IMG code is enabled when it clearly doesn't work...)

ping -t w.x.y.z >>pinglog.txt ?

unless you need it timestamped, in which case that won't work.

I think FREEping is one that I found and tried a while back for some quick network monitoring of a single PC. It's nothing fancy, but it's handy if you're just looking to ping some hosts temporarily for troubleshooting.

We do also use Big Brother, Cacti, and Smokeping at work for real monitoring.

Back