Multi-Browser Issue, Google Redirection to Puerto Rico

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I've tried to "google" the answer but getting conflicting hits that don't necessarily cover this issue.

For some reason, whenever I type google.com into the address bar of ANY web-browser, I get redirected to the Puerto Rican version of google (google.com.pr). I have IE and Chrome installed and both behave the same. I just installed a clean copy of Opera for shits and giggles and it does the same thing.

I'm thinking it might be a DNS issue rather than a malware issue as every computer in the house is affected, even those that are locked down tight. I've run just about every malware/virus tool I can think of and nothing is detected.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm trying to remember when this first started happening, I haven't installed any new software or router changes with the exception of some windows updates.

Yeah.... go into your router and manually set your DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and see what happens.

I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I've tried to "google" the answer but getting conflicting hits that don't necessarily cover this issue.

For some reason, whenever I type google.com into the address bar of ANY web-browser, I get redirected to the Puerto Rican version of google (google.com.pr). I have IE and Chrome installed and both behave the same. I just installed a clean copy of Opera for shits and giggles and it does the same thing.

I'm thinking it might be a DNS issue rather than a malware issue as every computer in the house is affected, even those that are locked down tight. I've run just about every malware/virus tool I can think of and nothing is detected.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm trying to remember when this first started happening, I haven't installed any new software or router changes with the exception of some windows updates.

PLOT TWIST - OP lives in Puerto Rico!

:D

I think I hit him between the eyes... he lives in PR and is just posting a random question to see if we'll fall for it! :D

I think I hit him between the eyes... he lives in PR and is just posting a random question to see if we'll fall for it! :D

I still really hate this about Google and other sites. Usually it ends up being a Google issue that gets sorted within 24 hours if I've done everything on my part. I absolutely despise sites that change you to the mobile version or one based off your IP's origin to the site they think you want.

Note to Webmasters: If I manually type in your goddamn URL send me to the goddamn URL I type in and stop trying to predict what people want.

I'm used to it... live in Canada... ALWAYS type in "google.com", and get "google.ca".

I still really hate this about Google and other sites. Usually it ends up being a Google issue that gets sorted within 24 hours if I've done everything on my part. I absolutely despise sites that change you to the mobile version or one based off your IP's origin to the site they think you want.
Yup, it has resolved itself. Thanks boys. :rolleyes:

And in case you really want to go to .com and it redirects you to .localvesion, then just press the google.com link in bottom right corner, it changes the preffered domain.

Back