Multi-Boot Systems

Jago

n00b
Ok, I'm new here, and I would like to know how to install a multi-boot system on my computer, I have nothing installed on it yet, because I don't want to mess anything up just yet.

The 3 OS's are Win 98, Win 2000, and Win XP.

Which should I install first how would I install the other ones? I know I have to partition them differently, I know Win 98 is Fat32 and NTFS is needed for Win XP.

Can anyone tell me how to set it up?

I used Partition Magic. Use PM to partition your disk with 3 primary partitions and one extended. Set the 1st primary partition active, then install an OS to it. Set each primary partition active in turn, then install the OS to it. Use Boot Magic (included with Partition Magic) to set up your boot selection.

You may need to install PM on your existing computer to make the PM boot disks for partitioning an empty drive. I don't remember if the PM CD is bootable. It's not as complicated as I may have made it sound.

You don't really need Boot Magic. Set up the 3 partitions (or more)...they don't have to be on the same drives, they can even be 3 seperate drives. Install 98 first. When you install the next one onto the next partitioon (If it was me, I'd do 2000 next), it will install a "boot loader" to the MBR (master boot record) of the first drive. When you boot, it will pop up a screen to give you the choice of operating systems (it's not a very pretty screen, so the boot loaders that are "better" are usually just "prettier".) While you're installing 2000, on a reboot, it will give you the choice of "Windows 98" or "Windows 2000 Install", for about 5 seconds...don't worry. When it's done, it will give you the choice of OS's for 30 seconds. Then install XP...the same stuff is true. When you're done, it will give you the choice of the 3 OS's. If you want to change anything (personally, I hate how everything M$ starts with "Microsoft"), edit the file "boot.ini" at root level on your C drive (you might have to make system files visible...I'm not sure). I have 2000, XP and 2003 on this machine. Oh, and one last thing...98 uses FAT32, but it can't see NTFS partitions, so in 98 you won't see the other 2 partitions. 2000 and XP will see both types. Hope this helped!

Back