Multi Boot Setup - Game Installs

just1tree

Weaksauce
Hey Guys,

I recently got a 1 TB WD drive to install all of my PC games to, mainly because my primary drives 2 x 80 gb in raid 0 can get chewed up pretty quickly with modern games. In the process of reinstalling my system I partitioned my raid 3 ways, 1st partition for XP Pro, 2nd for Vista x64 Home Premium, and now that RC1 is out the third is Win7. I installed all of my games in my Vista install, so they all play there no problem, but if I try to just run them under the other OS, they are hit and miss. Is there a way to quickly get them to run without reinstalling on the new OS over the old install on the 2nd Hard drive? If not I'm guessing that's my only option but it'd be nice to see if others have run into the same scenario and their solutions. Thanks in advance for all the replies.

if they are hit or miss maybe it's driver issues since the games were installed with vista and then don't work on the others?

just a guess, I really don't know and if that is the case you probably need to install the games with the problems on the other partitions

No, some games install registry settings. Those are on Vista in his case and missing on Windows 7.
Some games install files, like dlls. If the game program uses absolute paths instead of relative, it will be looking for them on C. But, when he boots to Windows 7, Vista becomes D or something other than C.

There is not one clean solution for all that I am aware of.

Thanks Anyway for the input, What's funny is it's all the older generation games that work i.e. Doom 3, UT2004, but stuff like UT3 won't.

You can always see how the game performs in a virtual machine but I doubt it will be very good.

Reinstall the games to the same folder, then copy the saves out of whatever backwoods corner the system installed them too. Works quite well for me, some games don't even need that much. Installating to the same folder also has the benefit that it often goes faster (classic example that I use is medieval total war 2 + kingdoms... which takes almost an hour from scratch, or 10 mins if its already there).

Back