Multi-Boot CD... Is it possible.

[H]ea\/y B

[H]ard Canadian Bastard
I am trying to find out if it's at all possible to make a CD with the install files from all of the OS's I own. That I could boot from and then choose which OS to install.

Example:

Win 98
Win 2000 onto 1DVD with a boot selection screen
Win XP

Hope this makes sense.

it would be very hard, but i bet it could be done, if the space is not an issue. you could look into making a very small ~a few MBs linux install into the boot area of the cd, and then have a bootloader run from there to select the area to boot from.
but it is certainly not worth it, just make 3 cds.

I have all the CD's I just wanted to simplify it down to one disc. I'll keep looking around, and if I find a way to do it. I'll let ya'll know.

Yes it can be done, people have done it, but i am not sure how it is done. So i can't really offer too much help, other than the fact that it is possible.:rolleyes:

Making a CD that has multiple boot options isn't that big of a deal, the El Torito spec is fine with that (although some older motherboards only take the first boot image). The problem is that you only get a single filesystem on the CD after the boot image comes up and the installers themselves expect the files to be \i386 for both XP and 2K and most (if not all) of the files in those directories are going to have the same names between the two systems..

Doing an XP/98 or a 2K/98 dual shouldn't be too big of a deal, but I don't think that XP and 2K are going to play nice unless you feel like dicking around with the installers.

It can be done...a company I worked for did something like this. It ended up growing into a network boot due to size (and lack of DVD-ROMs in the servers we sold).

I know that you can install any of the MS systems from a directory on your HDD, so you could do the same from a CD/DVD. All you should need to do is make three directories (WXP, W2K, W98), place the contents of the CDs for each in those, and build a bootable directory above them using the tools in whatever authoring software you have.

You'll probably cook a few coasters before you get it right, but it would definitely come in handy.

While you're at it, take my advice and build in the contents of a W98SE boot disk and any DOS-based diagnostic apps you can get on there, as well as any software you install frequently (utilities, service packs/patches, etc). A DVD should give you ample room for all that.

edit: after reading ameoba's post, he raises a good point...WXP and W2K may want to be on x:\i386 (x being your DVD-ROM letter, of course). I know there's a DOS app or command that lets you mount a folder to a drive letter, but it's been years since I used it.

Alternatively, you can use a RAMdrive, if you've got 1 GB RAM or more. You'd have to copy several hundred GB before launching, but it's a possibility if you're crazy enough to try it :D

Back