MULLVAD VPN

I never tried VPN service, I signed up and im enjoying it so far, I feel alittle safer on my pc :) Thank you Kyle!

Can you setup the VPN so only one app goes through it, but all other surfing bypasses it?

Can you setup the VPN so only one app goes through it, but all other surfing bypasses it?

The Mullvad VPN app, does currently not support this, however you can set this up via vanilla OpenVPN or with WireGuard by ignoring routes to be set, and then configuring for instance a browser to use our SOCKS5 proxies (that are only reachable after connecting to the VPN servers) Thien all your regular traffic would go outside the VPN but the browser would go via the VPN tunnel.

For OpenVPN we have a guide that goes through the steps: https://mullvad.net/en/guides/split-tunneling-mullvad-vpn/

I was in the beginning stages of looking for a vpn provider. Looks like you're gonna get a sale. ;)

T[H]anks.

Tested the trial on Linux. It works really well as intended for the most part the performance was good and the UI is nice and clean. I like the ease of setup as VPN can become a complicated beast to the uninitiated, there can be no lower gate than this it really is that simple, Perfect for a new user (y). But that is a double edged sword for me.

I think i might be better setting up OpenVPN or Wireguard with Mullvad. The reason i say this is that the app seems to bypass my Linux Hosts file completely, or it did in my case. It takes over the connection entirely with the app including the DNS settings (this is good to prevent DNS leaks .. but still a more advanced user might want this choice).

Last edited:
I've been thinking on and off about trying a VPN and I'm going to take the plunge now based upon the feedback in this thread.

Somewhere, some VPN provider just got some EURs from my credit card company. ;)

Any chance anyone have any ideas on how to set up a router (software router, via a virtual machine), with an IPSEC vpn connection to Mullvad? (Not OpenWRT, or DDWRT.. but using Kerio Control)..

Working on a proof of concept / idea in the home lab :)

Those of you that use, or have used this service, how has it been?

Looks like there is a flood of PIA users looking for something to fit their needs.

Any long term experience to divulge would be helpful.

I got the 3 years for $100, 5 device plan from NordVPN a couple of months* before one of their servers was compromised. :hungover:
I'm gonna use it because what I need the service for is not mission critical.

* Or should I say before we were notified that one of their servers had been compromised:(

That's the very reason I'm on the fence about signing on a vpn service. I mean how do you really know that they're not keeping logs? You can't know, it is only about whether you trust the provider that they don't keep a history of everything you do. I'm not sure I can make that leap of faith.

This is why I've always rolled my own. Ultimately unless I'm writing the config then I'm taking someone's word for it. Some companies are honest, others aren't and unfortunately you never *really* know.

The short time (2 months) I used Mulvad the service was excellent. Great speeds and no hassle connections.

This is why I've always rolled my own. Ultimately unless I'm writing the config then I'm taking someone's word for it. Some companies are honest, others aren't and unfortunately you never *really* know.

How do you do that? VPS?

TordanGow

How do you roll your own VPN? Where do I search the internet for advice on this type of service?

Back