Mugen 3 Scythe ~ socket 1155 install ~ my thoughts with pics

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently built my new rig (sig) and decided to try out a Mugen product. Have never used one before, used plenty of coolermaster / zalaman / thermaltake etc coolers over the years and wanted so see how this compared.

Was redoing the thermal paste this evening (changing from artic ceramic to artic silver) and thought id take a few pics. Searched the forum and this one doesnt seem to be mentioned often.

Heres a shot of the bare cooler. Pretty friggin big.

One thing I noticed immediately was the finish on the base. Seems to be highly polished....but if I looked at the right angle I could see machining marks, so it may just be a super reflective coating.

Another bizzare thing about this cooler is its attachment method. Typically most I have worked with use a baseplate on the back of the motherboard and the fasteners are accessed from the topside of the board. This cooler uses an adjustable position nut that has to be installed on the cooler first....

and a screw that goes into the back of the mobo and into the threaded portion of the nut/adjustment assembly. The rubber "washer" is included to prevent the screws from falling out of the back of the motherboard during installation ~ it doesn't actually make contact with the cooler when installed.

a shot of the screws and rubber retainers ~ the cooler must be dropped onto the chip which pushes the screws down, and then tightened from the bottom of the board. Unless your case has an access hole there (fortunately my lan li does) the board must be removed everytime you pull the cooler off.

Cooler installed bare

Cooler installed with fan and the rest of my parts.

Different angle of the cooler/fan installed. I don't like the flimsy metal clips they use. I've used these types before but they usually stretch to the outer part of the fan, but these go to the inner. Its not ultra secure and the fan actually can slide down and ride directly on one of my sticks of ram. I'll probably change that at some point.

Quick pic of my boxes location ~ its wedged between a wall, my monitor and my 48 inch plasma right behind it. Not ideal at all, airflow in this room is terrible.

Here are the idle temps ~ vcore is around .900 at idle (cpuz and hwmonitor don't pick this boards sensors up correctly) Ambient temp in here is roughly 73F.

Load temps ~ its an i7 2600k 45x100, vcore is around 1.350 at load. This is prime95 "maximum heat" test. I let it run just long enough to let it get an average temp.

Overall, it seems to work well enough. Still getting used to the temperatures that these 2600k's pump out at full load...my last build was a e6850, and every chip i've overclocked in the last 15 years 60c to 65c was as hot as i'd want to push them.

Just using a fan in push mode at the moment, will try a pull fan on the back at some point and see if it makes much difference. The fan is very quiet even at 100%. I do like the fact that the cooler is oriented correctly so my rear exhaust fan can pull the cpu heat right out the back, where as some of my previous builds the cooler had to be oriented up and down instead.

Nothing blows me away about it, and the attachment method is kinda stupid if you ask me. According to the box its compatible with sockets LGA775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / AM2 / AM2+ and AM3. Paid $50 from newegg for it.

Anyway just passing the info along to anyone who was considering this cooler for overclocking.

Last edited:
FYI, the company is Scythe, a Japanese company.

Mugen is the name of the heatsink line.

nice to see, those temps do seem high, sure they are safe, but seem high.

Yeah, I agree they seem a bit high. I still dont totally have the hang of the way the various voltage controls effect temperatures. I started from scratch on my oc tonight, re-reading all the info and sorting it out. Looks like I am stable at 4.6 now.

FYI, the company is Scythe, a Japanese company.

Mugen is the name of the heatsink line.

Ahh, gotcha. Yeah the box it came in had very little english on it. For Great Justice!

Quick update. 1 120mm silverstone fan and 2 rubber bands later I have a pull fan setup now. It is currently connected to a sys fan header on the motherboard, so its booking along at 2000 rpm....where the factory push fan maxes out at 850 or so. Will need to put it on a rheostat or something similar to get the noise level back down a bit, but as it stands, it has made a -10c change in load temps easy. Looks like this cooler just needs a bit more fan muscle to make it nice.

Running 46x10 now at 1.356 ~ 1.358 under load. Temps maxing around 70c with case closed.

Uber rubber band install:

Back