Much recent bannage?

Wanamingo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 23, 2000
Messages
1,951
Am I just way too nosy, or do other readers wonder why someone was kicked out when "banned" appears in place of their title? I've noticed about a half-dozen "bannees" in my very brief time on the forum today.
 
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
3,222
Wanamingo said:
Am I just way too nosy, or do other readers wonder why someone was kicked out when "banned" appears in place of their title? I've noticed about a half-dozen "bannees" in my very brief time on the forum today.
Banned for breaking the rules. There's a sticky in FS/FT about it. ;)
 

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
53,087
Kicking ass and taking names. Sometimes it seems the only way to get your message across is to beat it into some folks. Asking nicely for months did not work too well. :(
 

Wanamingo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 23, 2000
Messages
1,951
Ah, haven't been in FS/FT for a long while (broke :( ). Thanks for the education; will go read now.
 

EricDawg

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
427
So these people were banned at one time but are now allowed back... but have to live with the banned title? If so that's pretty funny. But why wouldn't they just re-register? Or am I missing it all together.
 
Joined
Jan 30, 2003
Messages
3,222
EricDawg said:
So these people were banned at one time but are now allowed back... but have to live with the banned title? If so that's pretty funny. But why wouldn't they just re-register? Or am I missing it all together.
They are initially banned temporarily (few days or so). When they come back, their title will automatically revert to what it was.
 

Chris626

Ima Da Friggin' Pope!
Joined
May 22, 2002
Messages
2,420
EricDawg said:
But why wouldn't they just re-register?.
Because...

(21) Each Hard|Forum member is limited to one ACCOUNT/ALIAS, unless otherwise authorized by a Hard|Forum Administrator. Protect your password and your account. You are responsible for your account regardless of compromise or stolen password.
 

EricDawg

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 7, 2004
Messages
427
Pretty nice they get warnings. Pathetic they keep doing it. I like the labeling though. This site is just the coolest. In fact I just paid for the 30 yr. deal it's so cool. Can I get an autograph from Kyle? Maybe on my new infinium game box? (or whatever it's called). :D
 

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Joined
May 9, 2000
Messages
75,412
Banned is not so much a title as it is a catagory in vBull. You can set vBull's banning option to automatically reinstate a member after a preset time limit, some, if not many, are of the permanent variety. Reregistering is a possibility, but they are usually filtered out or caught quickly.

EricDawg said:
So these people were banned at one time but are now allowed back... but have to live with the banned title? If so that's pretty funny. But why wouldn't they just re-register? Or am I missing it all together.
 

iddqd

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2004
Messages
1,441
Chris626 said:
Because...

(21) Each Hard|Forum member is limited to one ACCOUNT/ALIAS, unless otherwise authorized by a Hard|Forum Administrator. Protect your password and your account. You are responsible for your account regardless of compromise or stolen password.
You realize that it's almost impossible to enforce this rule?
MajorDomo said:
Reregistering is a possibility, but they are usually filtered out or caught quickly.
May I ask you how? :confused:
 

kevin1211

Gawd
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
600
iddqd said:
You realize that it's almost impossible to enforce this rule?

May I ask you how? :confused:
some forums do it by ip address.... u cant register another account if that ip address already has a registered name...
 

iddqd

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2004
Messages
1,441
But you can easily change an IP address.. some people get a different one every time they connect to the internet as well.
 

LadyMakoFox

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 4, 2004
Messages
8,102
Yes, but then most make a fatal mistakes... and that is they act the exsact same as someone before or the really super easy to spot thing: they come back with a new name thats not all that new exsample RandomLamer mysticaly changes to the craptacular Ramd0mL8m3r (off topic subject to those who over use leet in there name, its annoying to me and some others lol :p )
 

Lethal

ViragoAdmin Emeritus
Joined
May 27, 2000
Messages
28,711
I will add my two cents worth here... the crackdown is in FS/T. Regular traders will want to protect their established reps under their current nicks. If they have heat or ebay references, and they re-reg posting the same heat/refs, when they are found out they will be perma-banned.

My advice to anyone reading this thread who got a temp ban is to just take your lumps, wait it out and come back the wiser for it. Then follow the rules and you won't have any problems here. :)
 

iddqd

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 22, 2004
Messages
1,441
Meh, i've given up on selling stuff on [H] and moved my FS thread to Anandtech.
 
Top