MTV, Real and Verizon Team Up to Battle iTunes

HardOCP News

[H] News
MTV Networks claims to have forged a digital music partnership with Verizon and online music service RealNetworks in an attempt to compete with iTunes. If MTV is indeed partnering with Real and Verizon, I wonder where that leaves Microsoft and Urge?

Viacom said details of the deal will be disclosed later on Tuesday. MTV will merge its joint venture digital music store Urge into a joint venture with RealNetworks' Rhapsody music subscription service, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing unidentified sources.

I'm shocked to find out that MTV is still in the music business. I thought they were mostly about reality TV, teen-focused gameshows, and marketing hip-hop clothing these days. Or maybe they will just focus on sound clips of reality TV...

If MTV is indeed partnering with Real and Verizon, I wonder where that leaves Microsoft and Urge?

Well, didn't MS throw Urge under the bus when they launched the Zune marketplace as a completely separate entity?

Well, didn't MS throw Urge under the bus when they launched the Zune marketplace as a completely separate entity?

What's funny about that is that I completely forgot that Microsoft even made the Zune. LOL It actually took me a second to recall that fact. LOL

I have to agree with DesertCat. MTV's in the music business? I thought they got out of that a decade ago. :rolleyes:

They should have joined forces with Microsoft...

Urge is going away for good. Per an email sent out to subscribers, Urge and Rhapsody are merging into one, and all current Urge subscribers will have their accounts transferred over to Rhapsody.

No time frame was given for the demise. Overall it sounds like an OK deal, but the one absolutly crappy thing is that subscription-based users will have to completely rebuild their library. So for someone like me who uses the Urge subscription-based service for filling an MP3 player, this is going to suck!

Haha MTV..I was surfing last night and ran across these boys kissing and getting tarty. MTV has become rubbish and I wouldn't give a nickel to them. They just make the radicals hate us more for this crap kulture.

They should have joined forces with Microsoft...

QFT. Everyone else without Microsoft is much less powerful than everyone else with Microsoft.

I don't want Itunes undermined, anyway. So what if the songs cost $0.20 more than the other services? Itunes still offers the most content, some of which is DRM-free.

realnetworks.jpg

Back