MSPaint counterpart for Mac OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhissekk

n00b
Hi

I recently switched to Mac. I was looking for mspaint type application for Mac. I dont want to buy the whole photoshop suite as that would be an overkill
any suggestions?

Thanks,
Abhissekk

Black Morty Rackham said:
I'm terribly sorry, but there aren't many horribly limited, piece of shit applications for Mac OS X.

Was that really needed? :rolleyes:

I don't know I think hes bitter. Sure Paint is limited but not everyone wants to spend the time finding an application to do simple drawings in. I know I don't want to use photoshop if I'm just making a stickfigure drawing. Way to much effort to use it.

GIMP is a free alternative to Photoshop, so if you can't find a lightweight substitute for paint, that would be the next best thing

valve1138 said:
Agreed, not necessary. Also, i second the GIMP for free photo editing. But as far as a quick throw together like MS Paint is..cant think of any off hand.

Well.. i tried chocoflop earlier. its a bit too slow. I wanted to add a layer of text on top of a 3000x2000 pixel image, i couldnt do it. I had to find a windows machine and then use paint.

it is the only thing about windows that I truly miss. I even got my fav games on mac. but paint application is what os x lacks.
i will try seashore. lets see if it fits the bill.

thanks.

Octave said:
Agreed, not necessary. Also, i second the GIMP for free photo editing. But as far as a quick throw together like MS Paint is..cant think of any off hand.
Yeah it wasn't necessary. I have a mac but I don't use any photo stuff or drawing or paint stuff on it, sorry.

valve1138 said:

In the case of Paint - I think it was. God knows why they still include it - either replace it with something better (e.g. a five year old build of PictureIt) or do away with it.

Bacillus said:
In the case of Paint - I think it was. God knows why they still include it - either replace it with something better (e.g. a five year old build of PictureIt) or do away with it.
I agree that MSPaint could be updated, and hopefully it is in Vista. In the economics of things however, MSPaint fills its role perfectly. It isnt for fancy image creation / photo editing. Its for quick and dirty additions, pasting screenshots, ect ect. Something simple, limited use, but does the job. Its the kind of program you could quick open up, draw a stick figure comic of your proffessor teaching a class with a soda machine falling out of the sky on him......not that ive ever done that in class and sent it to other people in class that had their laptops on them......cause that would be wrong.

I've tried SeaShore but was unimpressed with it. It was my understand that SeaShore ran with some of the components in GIMP so I tried GIMPshop. This program will do anything you need it to. If all you want is a Paint counterpart or if you want a Photoshop counterpart, it'll do both. Give it a try.

Again the link is: http://www.gimpshop.net/

I don't think they can make paint better. They've been sued many times for including internet explorer and practically killing netscape. If they included a good photo editing or paint program they'd be stepping on the toes of smaller companies who make photo editing and paint programs and likely be sued again.

valve1138 said:
What, you mean Paint isn't horribly limited and generally awful?

Tell me, if you want to crop an image in Paint, do you still have crop one side, flip it and then crop the next side? I always though that feature was great. :rolleyes:

Nothing bad about Microsoft, as such, but Paint is awful.

If they included a good photo editing or paint program they'd be stepping on the toes of smaller companies who make photo editing and paint programs and likely be sued again.
Haha, yeah. By including MS Photo Editor, they're probably making Adobe sell MORE licenses! :D

Paint is one of the best programs in the world for quick editing or pixel art.

It sucks for photography related tasks, but for 2D game making, it wins so hard.

Black Morty Rackham said:
What, you mean Paint isn't horribly limited and generally awful?

Tell me, if you want to crop an image in Paint, do you still have crop one side, flip it and then crop the next side? I always though that feature was great. :rolleyes:

Nothing bad about Microsoft, as such, but Paint is awful.

Haha, yeah. By including MS Photo Editor, they're probably making Adobe sell MORE licenses! :D

MSPaint is not a photo editing tool...and frankly ive never used it for such. If its already in a jpg and all you want to do is normal photo editing- send it to picassa or your favorite photo editing tool. Paint is there so you can take that jpg, put some text on it, save it as a jpg, and then go edit it in whatever program you use. Ya its a two step process, but its not supposed to be fully featured.

The one problem I've found with all the freeware/trialware/whateverware Mac apps is that their interfaces make me feel like I'm walking through half-frozen molasses. GraphicConverter has been the worst of the offenders in my experience, but ChocoFlop isn't too bad. The Intel chips have made them all quite bearable, though.

Arcygenical said:
Paint is one of the best programs in the world for quick editing or pixel art.

It sucks for photography related tasks, but for 2D game making, it wins so hard.
Are you seriously suggesting that MS Paint is superior to Pixen for pixel art? I'm sorry, but I disagree. By the way, Pixen is another app you might want to take a look at.

Paint is there so you can take that jpg, put some text on it, save it as a jpg, and then go edit it in whatever program you use. Ya its a two step process, but its not supposed to be fully featured.
In other words: It's horribly limited by design.

I'm not saying Paint is a bad application, as such. It's great at what it does. It's just that what it does isn't a whole lot. I'm guessing that the prevalence of graphical artists on the Mac platform means there's a bigger market for higher-end applications than Paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back