MSN Messenger will not connect - key ports?

DigitalMP

Gawd
I've never had any connection problems whatsoever, but as of late, I have not been able to drag files into MSN Messenger windows to transfer to contacts. So, I decided to reinstall...

I opted for Windows Live Messenger. However, it would not connect, ran its self-test, and then determined that Key Ports were the issue. A few reboots, a few reinstalls, to no avail. I DLed v7.5 and installed that, but the issue still persists!

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 9300, ethernet (wireless is enabled though), XP Home, Zone Alarm. Nothing relevant seems to be blocked, but when I restart now, a connection is prompted for 192.168.0.0. I select "internet zone", instead of "trusted zone", but I think this might be the problem, as this alert has never occurred prior to this installation.

i have the exact same problem. although i've been running windows live for a while and its worked fine. then all of a sudden yesterday & today i cant connect. is this a msn/yahoo network problem? (i'm also having issues on yahoo today)

I had this problem about a week back.

I ended up going into my TCP/IP properties for my network connection and manually entering the DNS server (should be the address of your router). After that, all was well.

i fixed it by downloading the new beta version of msn and the new yahoo 8.1 and both are working now.

And I fixed it by uninstalling Zone Alarm. I've been procrastinating a move to Kerio, now I just have to decide if that's the one I want to move to.

Onto that matter...I'll test a few before I reformat.

I've had many complaints with Zone Alarm blocking IM connections, especially when a person says that it never use to do it in the past. I use to do support for SBC/Rogers/BT/Yahoo and I found that either Zone Alarm or NIS were responsible for the majority of IM connectivity issues.

As for Kerio, I still believe it to be one of the best software products on the market.

for clients, I always use AVG Free and ZA free.

If someone has a sudden problem, an uninstall and reisntall of ZA should resolve it, I am now confident. I use NOD32 for my AV needs. Onto the firewall matter..

The main key into a product being reliable, is that one should not have to uninstall and re-install to fix a problem. It should just work. :rolleyes:

TrueVector is crap and always will be crap, nuff said.

Yeah, I agree. But for a free firewall that is effective and easy for users to address allow/deny requests, this is still my weapon.

If it blocks something too much on a rarity, rather than allowing too much, I'll still consider it more effective than problematic. Out of 15 computers in the last two years, I've had none come to me with an issue such as this. Not that this means none have had it, but most call me when they have problems.

Back