MSI Z97I Gaming AC

Synomenon

Supreme [H]ardness
I like this board best of the ITX Z97 offerings:

MSI Z97I Gaming AC
five_pictures2_3146_20140414154134.png

five_pictures5_3146_20140414154446.png

No legacy ports except for the PS/2 which is still pretty useful since you can turn the PC on with the press of a key on a PS/2 keyboard. The wifi card is an Intel AC7260 w/ BT4.0.

The only thing I don't like is the Killer NIC.

I like the clean layout on this, with the headers placed on one side and the important hardware on the other. I like the Intel 7260ac card, but the Killer NIC is a negative in my book. A definite improvement over the previous MSI 80-series boards !

I'm also seeying a dual HDMI socket, is it pass-through like the ASRock one ?

I'm also liking that people are putting down the effort for these motherboard topics, as these contain valuable data in the long run !

Because extra software, on Layer 7, is not going to improve your Layer 3 efficiency. It can also have compatibility issues. It's not like it's going to explode in your face but it is nothing more than marketing and extra software.

Yeah, CPU socket placement isn't great, but we're all using AIO liquid coolers, right? :p

The two red ports beneath the PS/2 are USB2.0 ports. The manual says back panel has 4x USB2.0 and 4x USB3.0. It also just mentions the HDMIs as outputs. No mention of input capability.

Those ports were the USB Audio Power ports, which should have a more stable 5V line.

I wonder if they can be used just like any other USB port (for peripherals, etc.)?

Is there any difference with quality connection regarding the Qualcomm E2205 Killer NIC?

I read on some other sites (well, two) with one saying the Intel was way better and another that claimed the E2205 was actually better. I guess the main comparsion is when streaming/gaming?

But, is there any diff. with drivers?

I'm more inclined to trust using Intel drivers. There's just more boards with the Intel NIC.

I don't see much diff. with cpu socket placement. There are a few that are okay but I find on most ITX boards, that few have any that are really good for air coolers. So, you either end up using low profile air ones or go for AIO. It's just one of the limitations and sacrifices of using itx boards.

All the reviews show no real difference in performance between Killer NIC vs Intel NIC, if any difference. Intel also has their "Turbo LAN" traffic shaping solution.

We're not talking about this $100 extra Killer solution while we can get Intel NIC for a mere $15. If it comes included and the motherboard doesn't cost any more than ASRock's or ASUS's, I don't see why Killer NIC would be a negative.

If it's just hating them for their marketing lies of the past, then I can point out numerous more examples for Intel's marketing lies in the past.

On performance solely, as long is it's not Realtec or Broadcom, I don't think people should complain.

There is a difference between Intel having made marketing claims that weren't completely true or acurate and Killer, a company that only makes "gaming" NIC's that don't do anything for games. It's not hate (I don't hate stuff I can ignore, that's for fanboys), it's just preference. I've always been wary for companies that sell "gaming" products that don't actually do anything they claim it does.

Yep, can't really say I want to support some company's deception:

http://www.techspot.com/review/816-intel-haswell-refresh-and-z97-platform/page4.html

"Sounds great, but it's a massive load of rubbish. In reality, they are just massively overpriced network controllers that perform no better than the competition. As big as the Internet is, nowhere on it will you find tangible evidence that the Killer E2200 can back up any of the claims made by Qualcomm."

Intel distorts, too, like some say but many NICs out there are Intel and I want the Intel wifi 7260, too, so might as well try to get both to make it convenient.

Of course, trying for that on a recent Z97 mini-itx mobo means just one or two choices. Or maybe just one?: the Asrock Z97E-ITX /ac
Edit: I think you have to replace the stock broadcom one with the Intel on that mobo?

Also, another critique?
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=26302844

The Killer NIC isn't that bad. Sure, it uses up more CPU cycles than Intel's NIC, but I'd like to think that today's CPUs can handle that little extra load.

Besides, you don't need to install the Killer software, just go into Device Manager and point the NIC to its bare drivers. Works well that way.

Wonder if Newegg had any at all? It was listed with an availability of 05/20 and was pre-orderable. Clock struck midnight PST and it suddenly showed as out of stock.

Besides, you don't need to install the Killer software, just go into Device Manager and point the NIC to its bare drivers. Works well that way.

Works great for my Z87 Gaming AC, got the bare drivers from the MSI forums.

Where does the NIC rank among common choices without the software installed?

I don't think this board has one. I wouldn't want one anyway; not until they get that mess of a "standard" straightened out.

Can you just not install the "killer" software and use it as a completely basic NIC, with no extra cpu etc?

Yeah, CPU socket placement isn't great, but we're all using AIO liquid coolers, right? :p

The two red ports beneath the PS/2 are USB2.0 ports. The manual says back panel has 4x USB2.0 and 4x USB3.0. It also just mentions the HDMIs as outputs. No mention of input capability.

Why would HDMI input for an ITX board be important?

If you were using it as a passthrough port in a media center build, I guess? :confused:
If you want HDMI Passthrough, your only option as far as I know is the ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac. Mind you that the PC needs to be OFF to passthrough, or use the Windows ASRock A-Tuning App to switch it.

Last edited:
Back