MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING LGA 1150 Motherboard Review @ [H]

I definitely love my 4670k, and is more than enough for 90% of people. Though mine is an ES on loan, I plan to get another when it goes back home. Definitely would be a good upgrade for you, it would be worthwhile to spend a little time tweaking your memory/cpu to get better bandwidth for a really nice upgrade ;)

I have been running this board for about a week. No overclocking yet (my water cooler came late) but it performs my 4770k at stock speed decently. First impressions are that I think for a pure OC enthusiast, will probably be happier with the ASUS Rampage series because of the feature set, but this is perfectly good Board for your average gamer. The ASUS Boards are more feature rich and there are some stuff I miss (like the PCI slot, which means I have to buy a new soundcard).

I am not a big overclocker, nor I am intersting in putting 'bling' on my PC. So the two that sold me on this board where

1. The Killer Nic (which for gaming is much better than having 2 standard NICs offered by ASUS)
2. The roughly 40 EURO Price difference.

As much as I like ASUS (and I am a huge fan) I felt this was the better board for me.

I COME FROM THE FUTURE.

Really wish I would have gone w/ this over the Maximus VI Hero. Anybody wanna trade?!

It's probably bad luck and 2 bad boards...2 brand new bad boards, but who knows. The Hero gets more BIOS updates than my GPU gets drivers and EVERYONE says 1 thing:

-Increase System Stability

I'm really hoping to get stability w/ this driver, but as it stands, I can't even get 4.2 Ghz @ 1.3 V due to issues w/ this board and S3. It HATES to sleep. Well, it hates to RESUME from S3. Freezes, reboots, black screens, and today I had some mouse cursor freezing following by a complete lock which needed a forced reboot. It's been a nightmare man. Why so bad? Cause I can play BF4 fur hours @ 4.5 Ghz w/ the ram up from 1600 to 2133, be FINE for 3 weeks, then BAM, freeze on resume from sleep.

I'm on a new BIOS and 100% stock all the way around to see if I can get this thing squared away.

Reason I was asking was thinking about getting a Hero board to replace the Z87-A I have now.

It's probably bad luck and 2 bad boards...2 brand new bad boards, but who knows. The Hero gets more BIOS updates than my GPU gets drivers and EVERYONE says 1 thing:

-Increase System Stability

I'm really hoping to get stability w/ this driver, but as it stands, I can't even get 4.2 Ghz @ 1.3 V due to issues w/ this board and S3. It HATES to sleep. Well, it hates to RESUME from S3. Freezes, reboots, black screens, and today I had some mouse cursor freezing following by a complete lock which needed a forced reboot. It's been a nightmare man. Why so bad? Cause I can play BF4 fur hours @ 4.5 Ghz w/ the ram up from 1600 to 2133, be FINE for 3 weeks, then BAM, freeze on resume from sleep.

I'm on a new BIOS and 100% stock all the way around to see if I can get this thing squared away.

I've had every MSI GD-65 series board since P67 chipset recall and I switched to the Hero earlier this year from my GD-65 because it lost half the SATA channels for some reason. I need every SATA channel.

I follow the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" when it comes to BIOS updates. If I were to encounter a stability issue or compatibility issue, yeah I'd flash to the latest one but, for now, I'm error-free. (I just jinxed myself right there)

That said, I never use "Sleep" or "Hibernate" on any system because my stuff doesn't sit unused long enough for them to need it.

I haven't flashed an upgrade to the Asus board since I purchased it and will refrain from doing so unless/until there is a problem.

Back