MSI X58 Platinum @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
MSI X58 Platinum - Among MSI's boards supporting the Intel Core i7 CPU, the X58 Platinum seems to have a good mix of features and performance all while being one of the most inexpensive LGA 1366 motherboards you can purchase..

The MSI is far from the perfect bleeding edge computer hardware enthusiast motherboard. For those of you looking to save some bucks though while pulling off good overclocks, the MSI X58 Platinum seems to offer up a decent value. In fact, those looking to push Core i7 920 to 3.4GHz or so, the system will do it fairly easily just leaving things on AUTO.

Thanks for reviewing my board, [H]!. I jumped for it when they came out and this was the cheapest on the market at the time. I'm at a mild 3.3ghz on the stock cooler, and for now, don't want to push it.

And honestly, if I can hit 3.5ghz and add a 4870 1G, It'll be one DAMN solid I7 gaming rig built for minimal $$$.

My last experience with MSI was not good. (I think it was a P4N Platinum SLI.) I almost gave them another shot with the X58 Plat, but something in my gut told me to go Asus. I'm glad I made the right call. With the combo deal it wasn't any more expensive.

thanx for the review kyle. purchased at the i7 launch and happily running at 3.4ghz with less voltage than stock.

good review think i agree with it all. tho i have no issues with the sata sockets.

I purchased one about one month ago. Running cool and stable i7 920 at 3.5ghz with stock voltage and stock cooler. There is also a beta bios that enables SLI.

url for beta bios? im not an heavy ocer but was thinking of selling the board and getting sli capable one. if the bios is preety stable then it will save me the hassle

seems like this board has been discontinued right? i have one of these even though it isn't in use.

i think msi dumped it after getting sli certificiation for the x58 platinum sli and replaced it with the x58 pro...

pretty crappy of them imho...i doubt there will be any official bios updates from here on..

I purchased two, both overclocked to 3.5 leaving everything else on auto.
One had 12v 4-pin connector shorted out within 30 days.
In diagnosing the problem, I discovered it was pulling 300 watts from the wall socket.
I checked my Asus P6T Deluxe and it pulls 230 watts, both under full load.
I am planing on going into the BIOS of the MSI to see what the voltages are set at, being on auto, and force them to what they should be, and turn off everything else (devices) that I don't use being that they are dedicated crunchers.
I won't buy another one. Gigabyte might be a good alternative to the awesome Asus P6T.

Back