MSI X470 Gaming Plus/2600X Added PBO Disabled All Core Overclock

gerardfraser

[H]ard|Gawd
I started testing my cheap X470 Motherboard with the new combo BIOS for MSI X470 - Gaming Plus that just gets more impressive each BIOS update adding all the features of the high end X470 Motherboards.

EDIT:April 19 2019 :Added PBO Disabled overclock all core CPU 1.35v

Overclock on 2600X and MSI Gaming Plus for someone who ask for some help.

CPU Voltage is set for My CPU for [email protected] .

If your computer does not boot ,change CPU voltage by 0.025v until Computer Boots then test.

DDR Voltage is for overclocking the Ram for the person who asked for help and is not needed for most people default is 1.35v for DDR4 Ram.

Links to all BIOS Settings

Of course I forgot to set my CPU offset voltage before testing but I am OK with the results,so much so I am not sure I will be upgrading to the new X570 Motherboard.

So I am just guessing here ,if the new combo BIOS works well now with 2600X .It should be awesome with new 3xxx CPU.
I know people will say but VRM blah blah blah.Anyway a couple test for stability on combo BIOS for those interested.

Gotta like AMD for not forcing you to buy new Motherboard every new CPU.

♦ CPU - AMD 2600X 4300 Mhz With MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB AIO
♦ GPU - Nvidia RTX 2080
♦ RAM - G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4(F4-4000C18D-16GTZ) (2x8 3466Mhz)
♦ Mobo - MSI X470 - Gaming Plus (BIOS 7B79vA9 AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 0.0.7.2 BIOS)
♦ SSD - M.2 2280 WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB
♦ DSP - LG 27" 4K UHD 5ms GTG IPS LED FreeSync Gaming Monitor (27UD59P-B.AUS) - Black
♦ PSU - Antec High Current Pro 1200W

Click for full size
2600x.png

Last edited:
vrm's should be fine on most of the higher end x470/370 boards.. some of the b450/350 boards might be a different story. i'd say the only reason to go to x570 would be for people running multiple nvme drives/raid cards and/or sli/cfx at the same time which can take advantage of the extra bandwidth available to the pcie slots otherwise for the average user there probably isn't a huge advantage. it'll be interesting to see how the manufactures use the pcie 4.0 lanes on x570 though.

I started testing my cheap X470 Motherboard with the new combo BIOS for MSI X470 - Gaming Plus that just gets more impressive each BIOS update adding all the features of the high end X470 Motherboards.

Of course I forgot to set my CPU offset voltage before testing but I am OK with the results,so much so I am not sure I will be upgrading to the new X570 Motherboard.

So I am just guessing here ,if the new combo BIOS works well now with 2600X .It should be awesome with new 3xxx CPU.
I know people will say but VRM blah blah blah.Anyway a couple test for stability on combo BIOS for those interested.

Gotta like AMD for not forcing you to buy new Motherboard every new CPU.

♦ CPU - AMD 2600X 4300 Mhz With MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB AIO
♦ GPU - Nvidia RTX 2080
♦ RAM - G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4(F4-4000C18D-16GTZ) (2x8 3466Mhz)
♦ Mobo - MSI X470 - Gaming Plus (BIOS 7B79vA9 AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 0.0.7.2 BIOS)
♦ SSD - M.2 2280 WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB
♦ DSP - LG 27" 4K UHD 5ms GTG IPS LED FreeSync Gaming Monitor (27UD59P-B.AUS) - Black
♦ PSU - Antec High Current Pro 1200W

Click for full size
View attachment 150782

Had any resets or black screens after updating to MSI BIOS 7B79vA9?
I, as well as others have encountered an issue after that exact BIOS update.
You'd be surfing, starting a game, encoding a video and BAM!....loss of video signal.
The computer would stay powered and all I would do was hold the power button to shut it off...then do a restart.
I was using the 7B79vA92 beta BIOS just prior to updating to the 7B79vA9...without any issues at all.
I've since switched back to that BIOS and the resetting is gone now.

I'll tell you what...I've been holding off on updating my X470-F bios to see how the new AGESA shakes out. I've heard of problems, so I'm glad we got some good working examples.

I'll tell you what...I've been holding off on updating my X470-F bios to see how the new AGESA shakes out. I've heard of problems, so I'm glad we got some good working examples.
So far the new BIOS has been fine for me, so looking good for now.Just waiting for the 3xxx drop drop in new board.

Had any resets or black screens after updating to MSI BIOS 7B79vA9?
I, as well as others have encountered an issue after that exact BIOS update.
You'd be surfing, starting a game, encoding a video and BAM!....loss of video signal.
The computer would stay powered and all I would do was hold the power button to shut it off...then do a restart.
I was using the 7B79vA92 beta BIOS just prior to updating to the 7B79vA9...without any issues at all.
I've since switched back to that BIOS and the resetting is gone now.

I only ever have had problems with one BIOS and I have used modified BIOS and beta BIOS starting at BIOS 7B79vA3 for the MSI X470 Gaming Plus.

7B79vA7-This BIOS would crash on me with many different memory timings.Had to revert back to a modified BIOS .

I am actually using old AMD chipset 18.10.1810 from Oct 2018 and have not updated to 18.50.16.01 from march with the 7B79vA9 BIOS and all is working fine for over a week.
So I would lean towards memory timings not being adjusted correctly for you and others that are having problems, or it is just a crap BIOS and does not work with on certain combinations of hardware.

Also did a AMD 2600X 4300 Mhz Stability Encode Test with new X470 BIOS .
1 hour + Encode test for stability. This video is for people to check out Ram timings and voltages if they are interested.

I updated to the lastest bios now my oc is not stable and it don't let me roll back to the old bios :(

I updated to the lastest bios now my oc is not stable and it don't let me roll back to the old bios :(

There is probably a way to do it but you have to rename files and force it to flash. I had that problem with an ASUS board and I ended up getting it to work.

I switch BIOS all the time testing on MSI X470 Gaming Plus.
I have a USB drive with every BIOS on it and saved BIOS for different BIOS with all settings.
Turn off computer
Plug it USB drive
Start computer hit delete to get into BIOS
At BIOS click on Mflash
Computer will reboot to USB
Click on BIOS from USB drive
Let Mflash install BIOS and reboot the computer on it own
After reboot set up your BIOS or use old BIO setup on USB drive you already have,if you ever saved any.

I switch BIOS all the time testing on MSI X470 Gaming Plus.
I have a USB drive with every BIOS on it and saved BIOS for different BIOS with all settings.
Turn off computer
Plug it USB drive
Start computer hit delete to get into BIOS
At BIOS click on Mflash
Computer will reboot to USB
Click on BIOS from USB drive
Let Mflash install BIOS and reboot the computer on it own
After reboot set up your BIOS or use old BIO setup on USB drive you already have,if you ever saved any.

That's how i do it. it does not let me it says i can not downgrade to an older version

That's how i do it. it does not let me it says i can not downgrade to an older version

Other have downgraded there BIOS from 7B79vA9.
Well that does not sound good but it is still possible to downgrade a BIOS AMD4.While some people say it is not possible.
Some tools over here and it is always risky,use google translate ,site is in German.
https://forum-de.msi.com/index.php/topic,113838.0.html

EDIT:Also here is a tool by SVET the guy who makes the BIOS for MSI .I say read as much as you can.
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=302638.0

Last edited:
Has anybody tested on an "upgrade" to a beta BIOS then downgrading to previous BIOS? This is MSI we are talking about. Have beta bios links in my thread, Here.
MSI beta BIOS page Here.

Has anybody tested on an "upgrade" to a beta BIOS then downgrading to previous BIOS? This is MSI we are talking about. Have beta bios links in my thread, Here.
MSI beta BIOS page Here.

I have and it worked fine in the past for me with older Beta BIOS.I have not tried it on the newer BIOS yet.

Back