• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MSI Wind vs. EEE 901

As a note, I was able to type 100+wpm on the 701 Eee... it was a simple typing test... just single words with no capitalization or anything "complex"

http://lousyhero.com/blaze/eeetype.jpg
http://www.powertyping.com/typing_test/typing_test.shtml - Frequent Words 1

But... I have massive hands/fingers, my hands were literally pushing against eachother while typing.

So I think the MSI Wind / Anything bigger will be just fine... I got my IBM Model M from 94 for my home computer :) It weighs more than an Eee or Wind by itself :eek:

Quick run on the Model-M got me 146 with 3 errors... =/
 
Personall, I'd go for the eeePC. It's not meant to be your main computer. IA shock-proof SSDD (and fast) would certainly be better than a large HDD for the purposes of this type of mobility. I just love (/sarcasim) when people complain about the small keyboard. Were they really expecting a big one?

Shockproof, yes. Benchmarks have showed that the SSDs are not in fact faster than normal platter HDs, however.
 
Random Access Times... they're not faster in terms of read/write speeds typically (Until you get into the super fast/expensive ones) but they do boot pretty fast. I remember getting into XP faster than my 36.7 Raptors in Raid0 with a Q6600.. with the little Eee 4G and 900mhz Celeron...

And it didn't feel sluggish at all, I think it really had a lot to do with the SSD...
 
Random Access Times... they're not faster in terms of read/write speeds typically (Until you get into the super fast/expensive ones) but they do boot pretty fast. I remember getting into XP faster than my 36.7 Raptors in Raid0 with a Q6600.. with the little Eee 4G and 900mhz Celeron...

And it didn't feel sluggish at all, I think it really had a lot to do with the SSD...

Yea but comparing boot up times in the Wind with an SSD replacement for the HD showed slower times for boot ups, in fact.

At best you could expect similar performance in an SSD compared to a standard HD in a netbook. At worst, the HD boots up faster.
 
I just love (/sarcasim) when people complain about the small keyboard. Were they really expecting a big one?

I'd like one either close enough to full size I can 10 finger on, or one small enough to use as a thumb keyboard. The EEE, XO, and other models with 80% keyboards fail on both ends of the spectrum. The 90%ish ones on the 2133, WIND, and 10" EEE should meet the 1st option for me since while I've not had an oppportunity to try one, they actually do have keycaps larger than my fingertips.
 
I got my Wind yesterday and keybord is good enough to write with 10 fingers but takes some time to get used to Alt, Ctrl and Del positions.

I find 10" screen perfect compromise beetween portability and usefullness.
 
Just curious but isn't the Acer Aspireone also comparable? Or have you ruled it out for some reason?
 
I'm going for the MSI just for the larger screen... the 10" EEE is $650-700... wind is $400-500...
 
Just curious but isn't the Acer Aspireone also comparable? Or have you ruled it out for some reason?
Personally, I think the Aspire One is the best bang for the buck. The 8GB SSD model is out but I'm waiting for the 120GB HDD model. Both are $379 but I've seen the SSD model on sale in Toronto for $340.
 
Personally, I think the Aspire One is the best bang for the buck. The 8GB SSD model is out but I'm waiting for the 120GB HDD model. Both are $379 but I've seen the SSD model on sale in Toronto for $340.

I saw that NCIX has the 120GB for pre-order @ $379, but it's a month away by the looks of things :(
 
Right now I am still holding out for the 904H, it SHOULD be $500 for the XP version, and it is a lot easier to add ram and do the touchscreen mod, possibly GPS one as well.
I have not seen what the difference is on the linux version but if it is not that much it I will grab that since it will be cheaper.

Had a heart attack seeing the price of the 1000HD on Newegg $650!! so far removed from the original idea.
 
Right now I am still holding out for the 904H, it SHOULD be $500 for the XP version, and it is a lot easier to add ram and do the touchscreen mod, possibly GPS one as well.
I have not seen what the difference is on the linux version but if it is not that much it I will grab that since it will be cheaper.

Had a heart attack seeing the price of the 1000HD on Newegg $650!! so far removed from the original idea.

You realize the 904H is basically the 1000 except with an 8.9 inch screen instead of a 10 inch screen. Asus basically wanted to give consumers a bigger keyboard that people complained about on the 901. Supposidly, the 904s will replace the 901s.

IMO, the 904s will be as ugly as the 701s were...small screen, big bezel/border.
 
True but since I am really using this as mainly e-book/surfing I can't justify an extra $150

I will give it a test when it hits the local BB but it still seems to be the one
 
Personally, I think the Aspire One is the best bang for the buck. The 8GB SSD model is out but I'm waiting for the 120GB HDD model. Both are $379 but I've seen the SSD model on sale in Toronto for $340.

I would get a One, but the screen is 8.9 inches compared to the 10 inch Wind.

The 8GB SSD draws me closer, though. :D
 
so far removed from the original idea.

Blame a failure in ASUS's initial marketing research. The average consumer didn't want a dirt cheap device that could barely surf the web, we want ultraportable laptops that don't break the bank.
 
If you need more storage (why?) on the Eee 901, you can add a 1.8" harddrive. While not cheap -- unless you have one laying around, say in an old HD-based iPod -- you can get large capacities in there (80GB+).

http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-add-more-storage-to-asus-eee-pc.html

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=34316

Most people find the 3-cell battery on the Wind truly disappointing, but if you can get that replaced on a reasonable budget it seems like a decent machine.
 
There's not much that can be done with Wind battery since the only factory of 6 cell 5200 mAh batteries from LG got badly damaged few months ago.

From what MSI Poland told they should have 6 cell winds around September/October.

IMHO Acer research was good with pice point of 200-300$ as promised in first. For 400-500 people demand much more than simple tasks.

Altrough as a Wind user I have to tell it does everyting i wanted perfectly so I'm glad i didn't go for bigger laptop.
 
Blame a failure in ASUS's initial marketing research. The average consumer didn't want a dirt cheap device that could barely surf the web, we want ultraportable laptops that don't break the bank.

actually I pretty much agree with that. The original eee just compromised too much for portability imho. The Wind is pretty close to the right balance--just needs those 6-cell batteries.

If you still want a super cheapo netbook, just get the original eee.
 
The Eee 1000 dropped $100 too, now it's $550 vs. $500 for the Wind...

Same basic specs... 6-cell battery (7.5hr estimated) 1.6ghz Atom, 80GB HDD, 1GB Ram, XP etc.

Still think I'll go with the Wind though, I guess we'll see... maybe get the Eee 1000 off ebay with the 20-30% cashback :)
 
Blame a failure in ASUS's initial marketing research. The average consumer didn't want a dirt cheap device that could barely surf the web, we want ultraportable laptops that don't break the bank.

American consumer or Taiwanese consumer?

The united states was not their intended marketplace and judging by the lack of competitors early on almost no one expected it to be received so well in united states (or anywhere it seems).

I would really like to see some tiny convertible laptops, but the 2 or 3 offerings I see are 1k+.
 
Wind. Drive space is important to me, especially when you don't have a CD or DVD drive. Load up the Wind with a few ISO of your favorite DVD movies and you're set for a long time.
 
Size. I just sold off my original eeepc as I am ready to go with one of the new more expensive offerings.

I have done a whole hell of a lot of research and when you get right down to it there aren't many good offerings in the 9" size. The eeepc is a lot smaller than the Wind. A lot. The entire point of owning a unit like this is to have a fully functional PC in as small a space as possible... while not breaking the bank. Even the Acer Aspire One is not representing itself quite right. It's still quite a bit bulkier than the eeepc 4g/900/901. Just find the measurments.

I've decided on the eeepc 901 20G Linux. I'll just add one of my tons of old XP licenses myself.

I LOVED the 4G Surf. It was really, really great. The new 901 is almost the same chassis but with everything upgraded. Just what I want. If it gets bigger then I might as well just order a full size cheap Dell notebook. The original eeepc chassis will fit in some oversize cargo pants pockets. It will fit easily in a portable DVD player case, and it will go in the bottom of the plasic container you put your shoes in at an airport. Security doesn't even notice the things. It's so small you can turn on your GPS software and put it on the center console of your car and it's not in the way of the driver or passenger when driving.
Recently I had to take a long trip and spend several hours in an airport chair. The 4G Surf at a little over 2lbs sat comfortably on top of one knee while I had my feet up relaxing for two hours while I killed some time on the net. And the long power cord reached the 12 feet to the outlet that was too far from the chairs for others to use. Awesome.

Bigger is not better. ASUS got the size just right the first time around. The keyboard is about as small as you can go for a full set of keys and have it usable. I like it as-is. I'm a computer tech by trade but I hate portable electronics. The eeepc is the first notebook that I can tolerate carrying when I need to. Before it, I simply refused to carry one.
 
I've been iffing and awwing about a netbook for a while now. In fact as soon as the EEE original came out, I wanted one.
I was not too happy with the 701 because the layout was just awkward. The 901 hit the sweet spot for me but the keyboard was just too small.
I really liked the Wind but heard some horror stories with regards to overheating, and terrible warranty support from MSI.
I've settled on the ASUS 1000H. It has everything (including a larger screen) and has recieved some positive reviews online.It is a little heavy at 1.4kg but I think it's the netbook to beat.
 
Back
Top