MSI Wind Box DE200 With Blu-ray

HardOCP News

[H] News
MSI is showing of its Blu-ray equipped Wind Box DE200 at CeBIT. Aside from the Celeron processor, the specs look decent. If it is priced right this would make a nice addition to the living room. Hit the link for more pictures and a complete list of specs.

haha, i just looked at the pics...i guess they forgot to use spellcheck for the word "exprince"

It would have been nicer if they would have placed Vista Media Center on it and placed a TV card in it for a custom PVR/BlueRay player system....

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

That powre switch looks like an XBox 360 one (complete with a blue "Ring of Light") around it.

Looks pretty cool.

Celeron M 550 (2GHz). The unit also comes loaded with NVIDIA's GeForce 9400M GPU, 2GB of DDR2 RAM, a 160GB hard drive, 802.11n WiFi, HDMI and DVI outputs, Windows Vista Home edition, a multicard reader, audio in / out, Ethernet, a few USB 2.0 ports and an overly glossy enclosure.

Hopefully they offer better cpu options. It already has a good igp so that is a start.

Hopefully they offer better cpu options. It already has a good igp so that is a start.
I have a bad feeling on the pricing, which is probably why MSI cheaped out on the CPU. Too bad so many of the other Mac Mini competitors have stumbled on price. I think it's going to happen again.

It does look nice, especially compared to the hideous DC100 MSI showed last month.

I didn't see anything about Bluetooth. Yes I know you can buy an adapter, but cmon this has gotta have BT. Either way this is what I've been waiting for.

Gee, I wonder what inspired that design...

Yeah you wouldn't think that motherboard's being square and the case needing to be thick enough to hold the hardware reasonably would have anything to do with it :rolleyes:

i hope it can have a better cpu, and maybe ati, come out with something like this? :D

It would have been nicer if they would have placed Vista Media Center on it and placed a TV card in it for a custom PVR/BlueRay player system....

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

Yep but then would it be thicker if you put a tv card in it?? I would like to know price on it as well, and just to let you know, you don't need to put Rob, etc at the end of your post, you can go to User CP then signature and put it there :) friendly advice btw.

i hope it can have a better cpu, and maybe ati, come out with something like this? :D
It's a 9400M board in a tiny case. I think that's all you get in that model.

nvidia has been teasing tiny form factors for several months. AMD would have to rush to catch up if it's even interested in the market, and it would probably be based on some existing chipset like the slower HD 3200.

These things are like headless laptops since they use mobile chipsets, mobile CPUs and 2.5" hard drives. If you look at laptops, you only get "fast" GPUs in larger form factor models, sometimes ridiculously large form factors. :p I wouldn't count on seeing any high end video card/extremely SFF cases.

If the CPU plays back HD audio, BD video and can record HDTV perfectly then it doesnt need a better one.

Overkill otherwise.

If the CPU plays back HD audio, BD video and can record HDTV perfectly then it doesnt need a better one.

Overkill otherwise.

The Celeron M 550 is too slow for 1080P. There are still issues getting DXVA and other acceleration supported. CoreAVC has CUDA support in their new release, but it doesn't work on every file.

This could handle 720P, good for most people though.

If the VIA Nano + GF8200 can play back Blu-Ray, the Celeron M 550 can too since it's a faster chip.

The Atom 1.6GHz tested here on a 9400M reference Ion platform played back a Blu Ray disc with 66% CPU utilization: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-ion-atom,2153-9.html The Celeron M 550 is much faster than that Atom. Of course it depends on what format you're using for 1080p and what software you use to play back. Unaccelerated/single threaded/unoptimized codecs may choke on your 1337 torrent-acquired moviez. But Blu Ray playback should be fine.

Besides, you should be able to swap out the processor for a faster one if the Celeron M doesn't suit you. Hope there's room for a CPU fan in there ;-)

Back