MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB - $245 after $25 MIR @ Amazon

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Radeon-Exp...9833182&sr=8-4

• Phenomenal price for those in CA, Newegg isn't kind to us.
  • Amazon has good customer service.
  • Three year warranty tied to the serial number,
  • Phenomenal bang over buck and efficiency.

Agreed... great friggin price there, wow. Definitely a good band for buck, you're right on that one.

WHY did I get a gtx 460!!! This is so much better of a deal... :(

This is the same reference board as this card right? I'm already rocking the HIS and thinking perhaps this MSI would do well in Crossfire with it. Also, anyone know if this one will work with the shader unlock like the HIS did?

yeah i almost bought 2 off newegg yesterday but saw only 1 rebate allowed :(

still thinkin :)

Wow! I bit on the HIS deal last month, or I would be all over this. Headcase/Infernal, let me know if you try the HIS/MSI crossfire, I thought they needed to match, but cannot think of anything that would stop you...

Last edited:
I grabbed my HIS for roughly the same price a month ago and have been waiting (on the fence) for another deal).

I'll let you know tomorrow if they work! I'll assume the ref design will let me =D as they are the same GPU family, we'll see! if not, back to Amazon it goes =(

Congrats to you all (I counted three) who got one :). If I gamed often and had the money to spend I'd get one of these.

This is the same reference board as this card right? I'm already rocking the HIS and thinking perhaps this MSI would do well in Crossfire with it. Also, anyone know if this one will work with the shader unlock like the HIS did?

Yes, it is identical to the HIS, and both are reference design. All 2GB reference cards can unlock shaders like your HIS, and while whether the card unlocks is specific to the card, 9+/10 will unlock.

Last edited:
No one's mentioned the 6950 to 6970 flash....Use at your own risk, of course, but the flash can be undone if need be, assuming the card isn't fubbard in the process. http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

[URL="No one's mentioned the 6950 to 6970 flash....Use at your own risk, of course, but the flash can be undone if need be, assuming the card isn't fubbard in the process.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

In for two. Saving on tax makes it worth it even if the MIR is only 1 per household. Thanks OP! :D Anyone wanna buy a pair of lightly used 5870's in about a week? :p

not bad. i just got one used for 235 shipped. shaders unlocked, dunno about clocking. will try monday when its here. some 6950 to 6970 crossfire loving ;)

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Radeon-Exp...9833182&sr=8-4

IMPORTANT: The rebate is limit one person, per product, per household.

* Phenomenal price for those in CA, Newegg isn't kind to us.
* Amazon has good customer service.
* Three year warranty tied to the serial number,
* Phenomenal bang over buck and efficiency.

You mean the state of California isn't nice to you.

Hmm, $5 cheaper. Do I finally bite?

yeah I am surprised Cali doesn't have a "computer parts and safe environmental disposal tax" or something like that these days :rolleyes:.

I would much rather save my hard earned $5 and not piss it away on California's stupid tax spending lately :D

Cards in! Xfire working flawlessly - case temps increased by 3-4C (though ambient is much warmer today as no AC, windows open/high humidity).

Not as much improvement as I was hoping for (RIFT).

Last edited:
Cards in! Xfire working flawlessly - case temps increased by 3-4C (though ambient is much warmer today as no AC, windows open/high humidity).

Not as much improvement as I was hoping for (RIFT).

Didya unlock the shaders or try any OC'ing yet?

Not yet; I want the card to bake a bit/watch sys temps (case is small) before I try anything.

The HIS took the 6970 bios/oc like a champ so here's hoping!

Let us know how you do. I'm planning on just unlocking the shaders and going for stock 6970 speeds for my xfire setup. No need to risk the dmg to the vram if I don't need to. I'm only running at 1920x1200 so those two should be able to drive just about any game at max settings on my rig.

Alrighty.. just got my first card in the post today. The flash was with the stock BIOS modified to unlock the shaders only using RBE.. no other changes. I had to use the cmd method to unlock and flash the BIOS(would not work in windows) but it worked and the shaders are all present just like a 6970. After fiddlin for a bit I found the 6950 GPU voltages were just not cutting it. I looked about and ended up using an ASUS BIOS that had been edited to unlock the shaders and increase the GPU to 1.175v. After that I started some testing. I'm only aiming to match 6970 speeds and I came very close. My GPU is at 870, memory is at 1375 and I have the power control settings in the CCC set to +20%. Card idles at about 58c and max temp I've seen under load is 73c. Very satisfied so far and I cannot wait till my second arrives. :D

I ordered one, should come friday. Once I get everything set up. I will tell you guys if it unlocks

I got one and it flashes fully to the 6970 bios. Not only that, I flashed it to the overclocked XFX bios with 900 core and 1400mhz and it works just fine.

Actually a better deal at Newegg. Same $245 after MIR, but you get a $10 Newegg gift certificate. Wish Newegg had Prime shipping though. :D

This is really tempting. I am on the fense about buying one of these or MSI's Frozr II 6950s cause i like a quieter/cooler card but these reference card unlocks are quite tempting especially at 245 (30 more for frozr card).

From what I have read it has a custom board on it with, of course, the custom cooling.They say the bios flash wont work which is a real bummer. Makes my decision that much harder cause, like anyone, i like my money to stretch as much as i can and getting a free 6970 upgrade is very tempting.

Mine had to be flashed via command line. After that no issues... running it at stock, have not tried overclocking it yet. Wondering if I should get another next month. :D

If I buy two of them, I can only get the rebate on one of them, correct?

If I buy two of them, I can only get the rebate on one of them, correct?

Yes correct. You could try buying the card in someone else's name and sending it to a friend or family's house, or buying from Newegg.

These seem to be the sweet spot in the price performance curve at the moment. Are all these cards dropping in price at the anticipation of a new card from nVidia?

Can we expect these cards to drop even further in price later this month when supposedly the GTX 590 hits? Or maybe these are being dropped now in order to get those on the edge pushed over firmly into the "buy this now, it's cheaper" mindset?

wonder if the $230 deal will ever come back. Thinking of crossfire.

Back in stock at Newegg. Comes with a $10 Newegg gift certificate. Just bit on one using the $11.25 gift certificate they issued me when I asked to get credit for the 15% off desktop memory coupon they had like two days after I bit on the $75 Ripjaws X Shell Shocker. It's been fun, GTX 260. :D

Back