• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MSI Radeon 9600XT "Hissing"

arakawa

n00b
Joined
Jul 8, 2003
Messages
8
I've noticed that my radeon starts "hissing" when I run direct3d. It sounds like it's one of the capacitors near the memory modules.
I've seen this on every direct3d test of dxdiag and on games.

Everything runs fine, but I'm worried that the board will fail shortly after the warranty expires...
 
I heard hissing/buzzing with my X800XL AGP during 3D rendering. I changed my power supply from an Antec Truepower 550 to an Antec Neopower 480 and that seems to have solved the problem.
 
I changed my psu but it did not work... :(

I noticed that it only hisses sometimes. During dxdiag direct3d tests and when i use full quality on Lineage 2. On low quality and on doom 3 with any quality setting, it does nothing... :confused: :confused: :confused:
 
Hmm, so are you saying that the change of PSU lessened the hissing, or that it didn't improve the situation at all?
 
My 6800 Hisses as well. I RMA'ed it for that reason, and the new card hisses too. I think it might just be the way it's designed. As long as it works, I wouldn't worry about it.
 
I think the hissing it the Capacitors...
I heard this about the little coil things on motherboards too, you know, the little white thing with copper wrapped around it...
I think the solution was to push on it a little bit...
My 9600 Pro did this too, only one day, then it went away... maybe I just didn't notice it before..
 
It turns out, it s not the video card, it s a capacitor on the motherboard right beside the agp slot... Still not a good sign...
 
arakawa said:
It turns out, it s not the video card, it s a capacitor on the motherboard right beside the agp slot... Still not a good sign...
How do you know it is the capacitor?
Is it discoloured/bloated/leaking?
 
Back
Top