• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MSI R9 290 Gaming

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
LanOC has posted a review of the MSI R9 290 Gaming video card today. For comparison purposes, you can see our evaluation here.

When it comes to video cards, there is only so much that a manufacturer can do to set themselves apart from the competition. Cooling, overclocking, and styling are three of the biggest things that can set cards apart. Without exception MSI has done extremely well at this in the past with their Twin Frozr cooling and their Gaming series of cards.
 
I have this card and I'm happy with it so far. Seems to overclock fine to 1100MHz but I've backed it off to 1060MHz hoping for more stability in BF4 (I think it's probably just the game though). Drivers are okay. Sometimes I need to recreate my Eyefinity configuration on reboot or after waking the computer from sleep.

BF4 Mantle isn't a thing for me. It hangs immediately on trying to enter a multiplayer match. Test range works fine though. At least the DX11 codepath seems to work well enough so that's what I'm using.

I was surprised to see that the MSRP is US$469. I bought mine for CA$600 from Newegg.ca and thought I was being ripped off. Now I see that it isn't even available there any longer and the Sapphire TRI-X R9 290 is CA$800 (yeah not even the R9 290x version) ... prices are FUBAR'd.
 
I love mine, the cooler is great! So far 1,1GHz seems to be stable without voltage adjustment. Not sure if I even bother trying anything higher. Vram is hynix. Bought this for 429 €, definitely worth it.

Edit:
1120MHz for the core.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top