MSI QD-OLED Monitors 2024

I'd like to know what the max refresh on HDMI is with DSC disabled.
In theory, HDMI 2.1 should be able to do 4K 144hz 10 bit. However, some monitors may require you to edit its edid values, to have "reduced blanking" for 10 bit 4K 144hz to work on HDMI 2.1, without DSC.

otherwise, you can do 8 bit color and you probably wouldn't notice a difference. Even in HDR. Especially if your monitor does 10 bit via dithering, rather than a true natively 10 bit panel.

In theory, HDMI 2.1 should be able to do 4K 144hz 10 bit. However, some monitors may require you to edit its edid values, to have "reduced blanking" for 10 bit 4K 144hz to work on HDMI 2.1, without DSC.

otherwise, you can do 8 bit color and you probably wouldn't notice a difference. Even in HDR. Especially if your monitor does 10 bit via dithering, rather than a true natively 10 bit panel.
Ya, that's why I'm wondering what is available without any tweaking.

7000 hours running at max brightness while playing nothing but CNN. Pretty impressive stuff.

1715619867198.png

Maybe my AW3423DW was defective then, because I had excel lines I couldn't get rid of in 3 weeks.

Seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on an MPG 321URX this week. Is there anything tangible to separate it from the ASUS PG32UCDM?

They had three at canada computers when I was buying my legion notebook, the day before the firmware update came out. Should have just done it.

For those of you with the 32 MAG, do they all have the issue that MistaSparkul mentioned with Panel Protect not automatically running upon standby after 4 hours? (I mean when the notice is set to 16 hours. With the MPG if you set it to only prompt at 16 hours it will still automatically run at the next standby after 4 hours.)

Last edited:
For those of you with the 32 MAG, do they all have the issue that MistaSparkul mentioned with Panel Protect not automatically running upon standby after 4 hours? (I mean when the notice is set to 16 hours. With the MPG if you set it to only prompt at 16 hours it will still automatically run at the next standby after 4 hours.)
Is that still the case with the latest firmware?

It is extremely inconsistent. I tried never physically pushing the power button to force a panel protect again and it ran fine for over a week. Then just now while I was playing Ghost of Tsushima on PC, it forced a panel protect cycle on me. And I did NOT use my PC for 16 hours continously. I only used it for about 4 hours and yesterday I used it for 5 hours so it was SUPPOSED to do a refresh yesterday and clearly it did not. So if you want to ensure that the panel protect runs after 4 hours, you MUST physically power the monitor off.

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpeg
    IMG_1091.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 1
It is extremely inconsistent. I tried never physically pushing the power button to force a panel protect again and it ran fine for over a week. Then just now while I was playing Ghost of Tsushima on PC, it forced a panel protect cycle on me. And I did NOT use my PC for 16 hours continously. I only used it for about 4 hours and yesterday I used it for 5 hours so it was SUPPOSED to do a refresh yesterday and clearly it did not. So if you want to ensure that the panel protect runs after 4 hours, you MUST physically power the monitor off.
I decided to order a MAG yesterday just to see if they've fixed any of the issues, since the MPG is still so hard to find. I regretted returning my MPG after the firmware update fixed all of the problems I had with it. I'll report back if the MAG has improved firmware.

I decided to order a MAG yesterday just to see if they've fixed any of the issues, since the MPG is still so hard to find. I regretted returning my MPG after the firmware update fixed all of the problems I had with it. I'll report back if the MAG has improved firmware.

I doubt it. The latest firmware revision is too recent so it is highly likely you are going to get a monitor with a built date that is still using the launch firmware. You would probably have to wait months before you get an MAG model that comes with updated firmware out of the box, by which you can just get an MPG model instead.

Monitor set-up, firmware updated, bit of calibration and good to go. IQ is superb, blacks are just on another level compared to my old IPS. HDR is also excellent, without frying your retinas.

Yeah the latest firmware basically makes the monitor perfect now. The only other thing they can add in the future is Dolby Vision for those who care about it I guess.

So my monitor just powered itself off while I was in the middle of playing ghosts of tsushima. I've had it for exactly 3 months now and this is the second time it's happened. I don't think this has anything to do with firmware, probably some power spikes? Two occurances in a 3 month span is sort of rare but still quite annoying that it's even happening at all, should be 0 occurances.

So my monitor just powered itself off while I was in the middle of playing ghosts of tsushima. I've had it for exactly 3 months now and this is the second time it's happened. I don't think this has anything to do with firmware, probably some power spikes? Two occurances in a 3 month span is sort of rare but still quite annoying that it's even happening at all, should be 0 occurances.
Someone shared the same thing happening with their MPG32, though it's happening more frequently for them. Maybe it's an issue with heat?

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/1d1kf0v/mpg321urx_qdoled_monitor_shuts_off_randomly/

Someone shared the same thing happening with their MPG32, though it's happening more frequently for them. Maybe it's an issue with heat?

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/1d1kf0v/mpg321urx_qdoled_monitor_shuts_off_randomly/

Hmm I suppose it could be. That user's unit just seems to be flat out defective though since it's turning off 3 times within 5 minutes and also flashing red and green. His also shuts off while just watching youtube while mine has only shut off while doing HDR gaming so perhaps it is heat related in my case where the monitor is shutting off in order to protect itself. The issue first happened to me after about 6 weeks of ownership and now again after 3 months, we'll see if/when it happens again.

Hmm I suppose it could be. That user's unit just seems to be flat out defective though since it's turning off 3 times within 5 minutes and also flashing red and green. His also shuts off while just watching youtube while mine has only shut off while doing HDR gaming so perhaps it is heat related in my case where the monitor is shutting off in order to protect itself. The issue first happened to me after about 6 weeks of ownership and now again after 3 months, we'll see if/when it happens again.
One of those new noctua desk fans pointed up at the back could be valuable here.

A company needs to make one with 140 mounts on either side.

Last edited:
One of those new noctua desk fans pointed up at the back could be valuable here.

A company needs to make one with 140 mounts on either side.

If it really was heat though, I'm not sure how being powered off for a few seconds is somehow good enough to let the panel run for hours on end again if it's reached a critical temperature. In both instances when it shut off on me, I just powered it back on and kept using it and it went on for hours just fine as if nothing happened. At least the Alienware will tell you if the monitor is overheating, wish this MSI would.

If it really was heat though, I'm not sure how being powered off for a few seconds is somehow good enough to let the panel run for hours on end again if it's reached a critical temperature. In both instances when it shut off on me, I just powered it back on and kept using it and it went on for hours just fine as if nothing happened. At least the Alienware will tell you if the monitor is overheating, wish this MSI would.
Are you on firmware 010? Seems to resolve a lot of issues.

Are you on firmware 010? Seems to resolve a lot of issues.

I can't update the firmware since I have the MAG model, but I don't think this a firmware related issue. Not sure what part of the firmware would cause it to randomly shut off once every 6 weeks. Would be something to ask the MPG user on reddit though.

I can't update the firmware since I have the MAG model, but I don't think this a firmware related issue. Not sure what part of the firmware would cause it to randomly shut off once every 6 weeks. Would be something to ask the MPG user on reddit though
Sorry, it sounded like you had the MPG model :)

Sorry, it sounded like you had the MPG model :)

No worries. Not sure what else to do with this thing besides keep using it I suppose. If I were to attempt to RMA it I am 99.9% sure MSI will just send it back saying they can't find anything wrong with it since I don't have any way to reliably replicate the issue for them.

Back