MSI PRO B660M-A Compatibility Issues with PSU?

Mizzle612

n00b
Considering the MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX but when putting a build together on parts picker it comes up with a potential issue. Not sure how to determine if it will actually be an issue let alone if I can resolve it. Here's the following compatibility note I'm getting:

The MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair CV 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

I tried switching up the power supply a couple times but was still seeing this note. Anyone know if this additional connector on the motherboard needs to be plugged in? (This will be my first build so I'm not familiar with it all but the way it's worded it makes me think that not all motherboards typically have this extra connector.) If it's needed, which power supply would work? I even watched some videos online for reviews or installs of this motherboard, but couldn't come across anything about this extra connector, concerns with the correct power supply, or anything relevant at all to the issue I'm trying to resolve.

You should always check the motherboard manual first. They almost always tell you upfront if the additional EPS connector is just for increased power delivery for overclocking (which it usually is, like 98% of the time), or if it's required. The manual for the board doesn't specify it being only for additional OC power, only stating "Make sure that all the power cables are securely connected to a proper ATX power supply to ensure stable operation of the motherboard." on page 19. Given that Alder Lake CPUs can see some pretty significant power spikes depending on the workload (even locked CPUs), I would say that, while perhaps not a requirement for general operation, it would probably be best to have the additional connector plugged in if you plan on using any particularly CPU-heavy applications, especially if you're going to be using a higher-tier CPU, like a 12600 and up.

As for how to ensure that you have a compatible PSU, just check the specs for 2x8pin EPS connectors, and at least one of them should be a 4+4 rather than a monolithic 8-pin (so that you can easily separate it to plug into the 4-pin slot with good clearance on the sides).

www.ubuy.jpg

There is a good chance you don't need it, but without knowing the rest of the specs of your PC it's hard to confirm for sure.

Also and this is completely my opinion, but the PSU is one of the more important things in your PC and not something you should skimp on, the one you chose is well to put it politely average and best suited for office type pc's.

There is a good chance you don't need it, but without knowing the rest of the specs of your PC it's hard to confirm for sure.

Also and this is completely my opinion, but the PSU is one of the more important things in your PC and not something you should skimp on, the one you chose is well to put it politely average and best suited for office type pc's.
- So far I have an i5-12400F and EVGA RTX 3060 XC. Planning on a 1tb m.2 and 16gb ddr4 3200mhz. I was considering the Gigabyte B660M DS3H but after some research now leaning towards this MSI Pro. Most reviews I found for B660M put ASRock and Gigabyte (DS3H) at the bottom and MSI Pro was recommended so figured it was worth the extra $20. I did see others rated well too but they were another $40 above this MSI and didn't think I needed to go that high for this build.

- Appreciate the feedback. This is my first build and I was so focused on cpu/mobo that I didn't give psu much research. I thought as long as it was bronze rated I was okay. In your opinion, what would you recommend?

- So far I have an i5-12400F and EVGA RTX 3060 XC. Planning on a 1tb m.2 and 16gb ddr4 3200mhz. I was considering the Gigabyte B660M DS3H but after some research now leaning towards this MSI Pro. Most reviews I found for B660M put ASRock and Gigabyte (DS3H) at the bottom and MSI Pro was recommended so figured it was worth the extra $20. I did see others rated well too but they were another $40 above this MSI and didn't think I needed to go that high for this build.

- Appreciate the feedback. This is my first build and I was so focused on cpu/mobo that I didn't give psu much research. I thought as long as it was bronze rated I was okay. In your opinion, what would you recommend?

I chose 2 models with 2 eps connectors
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Rz...d-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-focus-gx-650
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mQ...ed-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-sf-750f14hg

My go to brand is Seasonic, but would also consider Superflower, EVGA or Be quiet or some of the higher end Corsair ones (RM or HX line)

Came across a deal on a Corsair RM750 so I think I'm going with that one. Looks like it comes with the extra connector and in the end it will cost me $70.

Back