MSI Presents GeForce GTX 1050 / 1050Ti Series Graphics Cards

HardOCP News

[H] News
As the world’s most popular GAMING graphics card vendor, MSI is proud to introduce its full line up of graphics cards based on NVIDIA’s new Pascal GPU with fierce new looks and supreme performance to match. Building on the monumental success of MSI's award winning GTX 10 GAMING series, the MSI GeForce® GTX 1050/1050 Ti series are kept cool by a scaled down version of the imposing TWIN FROZR VI thermal design, allowing for higher core and memory clock speeds for increased performance in games. The recognizable shapes of the eye-catching TWIN FROZR cooler are intensified by a fiery red GAMING glow piercing through the cover, which can be animated together with the MSI GAMING dragon LED on the side. A completely tailored 4-phase PCB design using Military Class 4 components with an 6-pin power connector enables higher overclocking performance to push your graphics card to the max.

The world's worst-kept secret for the month of October. Of course you have to wait a week for reviews.

1050 over the 1060? waiting for the reviews!

If performance is close, there are two reasons to prefer the 1050Ti over GTX1060 - lower price AND lower TDP. (Remember, the TDP of even the 1050Ti is all of 75W - which is the lowest of any 4GB GPU - from anyone; what was the TDP of the 4GB GTX960, for example?)

The RX 460 has 4GB bus-powered parts, they're just not as fast as the 6-pin units everyone reviewed.

And exactly what is the TDP of even those 4GB RX460 GPUs? (The only reason for the extra power of the GTX1050Ti aftermarket GPUs is for the cooling fans - the design itself doesn't require it.)

The GTX1050Ti will, in most cases, replace a GPU that also has that 6-pin power requirement; therefore, the power requirement itself won't be an issue. What can become an issue is heat inside the case - even in a situation like mine when you have an mATX motherboard in an ATX case (the issue there is air circulation). It's also why GTX1050Ti as opposed to GTX1050 - GTX1050 would likely be too SHORT; creating airflow issues is not advisable.

From most of the press I've seen around on the 1050ti, it will only stay in the 75W envelope at stock speeds. Any OC would begin drawing power through the 6 pin, as it would be out of spec for the bus, and higher than stock clocks become unstable without the extra power. It will still stomp a 460, but it won't come close to a 470, let alone 480/1060, if that is the case. And if you do OC it, then its primary competition is no longer the 460, but the 470.

It all depends on if the 6-pin is needed to get to those 1.8GHz OCs.

From most of the press I've seen around on the 1050ti, it will only stay in the 75W envelope at stock speeds. Any OC would begin drawing power through the 6 pin, as it would be out of spec for the bus, and higher than stock clocks become unstable without the extra power. It will still stomp a 460, but it won't come close to a 470, let alone 480/1060, if that is the case. And if you do OC it, then its primary competition is no longer the 460, but the 470.

It all depends on if the 6-pin is needed to get to those 1.8GHz OCs.

Nope, it competes with the 6-pin-powered RX 460. Which is the RX 460 part that most review sites touched back at the beginning of August. We don't actually have any power numbers outside the [H] for bus-powered cards, but this one was 6-pin:

ASUS Radeon RX 460 STRIX OC 4 GB Review

Don't assume the real-world power consumption must be 75w. The GTX 750 Ti originally shipped at around 55-60w actual board power, leaving bus-powered card like mine with 10-15% of overclock headroom. While the bus-powered GTX 950 changed this, it was obviously forced into that territory unofficially by OEMs. I would hope that the GTX 1050 Ti uses significantly less than 75w.

The [H] review put the power consumption of their bus-powered RX 460 card 11w above the GTX 750 Ti, which puts it close to the 75w limit at-stock. I'd assume that Nvidia can do better than that.

1472525958imyLkf3FxX_8_1.gif

Last edited:
Back