MSI P6N SLI-FI / Platinum (650i) Thread

Even though I've had this board (P6N SLI-FI) for a while, I never tried OC w/ it until last night. I have a simple e4300 cpu. When I bumped the FSB up past 800, I recieved the following message when booting -

Right now I have it running at a 966 FSB (2175 core speed). It seems that if I push it past 1000FSB then it refuses to post. Using stock cooling. No changes in the voltage on the cpu, nb/sb or memory.

Also, any idea if uping my memory speed is possible/viable? Its PNY 5300 running at 333/667 w/ 5-5-5-15 timings.

Hey RedChief, that message is normal and you can ignore it. It may be MSI's way of covering their butts in case something goes wrong w/ the overclock. The processor actually isn't run at a reduced clock speed.

I have an e4300 too! I have an SLI-Platinum, but I think I can still help you out. (It would be a good idea to put all your info: board, cpu, ram, whatever, in your "signature" so that you don't have to repeat yourself throughout this thread, you can do this by going to "User CP" at the top left and then click on "Edit Signature" on the left).

So 1000FSB sounds low, for instance I am able to get 2.7Ghz (though it's not perfectly stable under stress tests) without raising any voltages. You're running the RAM at default speeds, but did you "unlink" it from the CPU in the bios? Maybe increasing your CPU is causing your system to want to increase the RAM too. It's worth checking out. It's best to increase 1 thing at a time, so if you want to overclock first only overclock your CPU.

What BIOS version is your motherboard (Put that in your signature too), and if you still have a box from your CPU, you should try and find out when it was made. For this you check the batch number, and you can use this to help you understand when it was made.

By the way what are your temps like on your highest overclock? I would download CoreTemp to get the numbers.

Finally if it turns out unlinking your RAM doesn't do anything, your temperatures are fine, your e4300 is relatively new (mid to latter half of 2007), and your BIOS is up-to-date, then we'll just proceed to upping the voltage on the CPU.

For the record my batch number is Q644A489, which means:
Q = Malaysia
6 = 2006
44 = 44th week of 2006, so close to end of Nov/early Dec
A489 = lot #

So as you can see my processor is pretty old.

Here are my voltages;
CPU: +.1000
Memory: auto
NB: 1.4
SB 1.6
FSB 16%

My Q6600 CPU is at 3.15 Ghz and stable after a 10 hour prime95 session and it's being cooled by a Zerotherm Nirvana 120. I'm worried about the NB and SB voltages, my motherboard is on stock cooling, do you think those voltages are too high for it?

stresstest.jpg

My Rig:
Case: Antec 900
CPU: Intel C2Q Q6600
HSF: ZEROtherm Nirvana 120
MB: MSI P6N SLI
RAM: 2GB Mushkin PC2 6400
GPU: Evga Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512MB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Quad

Also, any suggestions on what timings I should use for my ram? I have them on auto.

I had that happen to my SLI-FI too. I was just putting my Q6600 up to 3.3ghz and frooze like it always does when it's unstable but it never turned on again. I got a new board and hooked everything up and my psu blew up with a huge spark and smoke so IDK if it was related, but luckily it didn't burn out my new asus maximus formula :) I'm not sure it actually is the bios, I think OC'ing the q6600 might just be too much for a lower end board to handle like the P6N

I would hazard a guess that something just hosed on the board, I don't think now it is the bios, when an oc fails and the hd led stays on, no post, after leaving it and clearing cmos, the hd led no longer stays on, so looks like something just had enough on the board. Everything that was in the msi has now been tested and is fully working. My board never had excessive volts pumped through it, 1.35 on the cpu, 1.325 on the NB, ram 1.85 1:1 everything is was stock. I also had great cooling on mine, from day 1 it had Thermalright HR-05-SLI with a 80mm fan strapped to it, which was in turn replaced with a Thermalright HR-05/IFX, with the HR-05-SLI going on the SB, which really was overkill, as the small msi passive fan on the SB did the job with no problems, but hey it looked good, I also had Thermalright HR-09S on the mosfets, and some smaller sinks at other hot spots, ram etc, the cpu was cooled by a tuniq tower, the system was powerd by an corsair hx 620, in a well ventilated case. I really is quite a shame, because after learning the board after first purchase, it was rock solid, and I mean rock solid, I run 24/7 full load on D2OL(Distributed computing project) I still think the sli-fi was a great bang for buck

did anyone try a e8400 on the p6n sli plat yet? im tired of msi being so slow on updating their site :(

does/has any tried or know if the cheap 2x2 gb OCZ ddr2 kit works with this mobo, the p6n sli? ram model no. OCZ2VU8004GK. thanks if anyone can help!

does/has any tried or know if the cheap 2x2 gb OCZ ddr2 kit works with this mobo, the p6n sli? ram model no. OCZ2VU8004GK. thanks if anyone can help!

I dunno but I just bought these 2x2GB G.Skills a week or so ago. I'm getting ready to swap out my board, but maybe I'll throw these in and see if they work before I swap the board out.

I dunno but I just bought these 2x2GB G.Skills a week or so ago. I'm getting ready to swap out my board, but maybe I'll throw these in and see if they work before I swap the board out.

Well, I set vMem to 2.0v and timings on auto (cpu is also not overclocked) and they booted up fine. Note that these are actually PC2 8000 (DDR2 1000) rated sticks, but with the low FSB, they came up at 2:3 ratio (DDR2 800) when set to auto. Apparently they use EPP to set the DDR2 1000 speed in the SPD (I hadn't seen them listed as EPP-ready before)...

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) - F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
g-skillq66.jpg

...I hadn't done any extensive testing (and might not), but I thought folks might be interested in the SPD settings and knowing that they (at least seem to) work in the board.

Well, I set vMem to 2.0v and timings on auto (cpu is also not overclocked) and they booted up fine. Note that these are actually PC2 8000 (DDR2 1000) rated sticks, but with the low FSB, they came up at 2:3 ratio (DDR2 800) when set to auto. Apparently they use EPP to set the DDR2 1000 speed in the SPD (I hadn't seen them listed as EPP-ready before)...

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) - F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
g-skillq66.jpg

...I hadn't done any extensive testing (and might not), but I thought folks might be interested in the SPD settings and knowing that they (at least seem to) work in the board.

I have these sets too, work great. Just manually set them to 1000. I had to set mine to 1033 to get 1000 at 2.4/1066. Takes 2.1v to be stable on this board. Using the BSEL mod to run 1066 at boot. My e4300 needs around 1.4 to run this speed stable. I have the 380 wall so have never taken it much higher than 3450, and took over 1.5v to get there.

My issue from a few posts above was solved with resetting cmos. The proper values now show up when I set manual clock.

Only problem now is even modest overclocks, give me a BSOD. The highest I have gone so far is 2.8ghz (1400mhzfsb) from 2.68. I have everything enabled/disabled that needs to be any help as to discovering the issue would be aappreciated. I shouldn't have to up the vcore for that small of an overclock, as its just over 100mhz. My goal is simply to get it to 3-3.2 ghz(as with 3.2 I can get a 1:1 ratio). After reading this board alot of people have cranked their system up in excess of 600mhz, stable. Runs great when its not OCed, but it really doesn't like me the moment I screw with that clock speed no matter how modest a change. I'll screw around with it some more, next BSOD I get I'll post the results (windows was still set to reset immidiately before).

Again system:
winXp pro 32 sp2
MSI p6n sli-fi bios v. 2.3
C2D E6750 (2.66ghz)(Arctic cooler freezer 7 pro)
Seagate Sata primary drive
Seagate IDE backup drive
IDE lite on DVD/cd-RW
Soundblaster Audigy 2
2gb Corsair value
eVga Nvidia 8800GT

You'll need to have your Northbridge voltage set to at least 1.4, maybe 1.45 depending on the density/amount of ram sticks your running. My experience has been nothing less than 1.4v NB at any overclock. Can sum1 shed light on my question on the previous page? Whats the max FSB your getting with good NB cooling? Are there any vmods that are worth doing to get closer to 500? I would like to know before investing in an e8400.

I have these sets too, work great. Just manually set them to 1000. I had to set mine to 1033 to get 1000 at 2.4/1066. Takes 2.1v to be stable on this board. Using the BSEL mod to run 1066 at boot. My e4300 needs around 1.4 to run this speed stable. I have the 380 wall so have never taken it much higher than 3450, and took over 1.5v to get there.

I can't get my e4300 to post after a FSB of 333. Well actually it posted at 350 but it wasn't very stable. How far are you pushing the NB and SB?

I'm using it with an Asus P5N-E SLI which has the same chipset, 650i.

I'm surprised how well they OC for the value of the kit,
max oc so far is 1018 / 5-5-5-15 / 2.01v

Even the kit is rated as 800 5-6-6-18 running at 800 4-4-4-15 with 1.8v is no problem.

I can't get my e4300 to post after a FSB of 333. Well actually it posted at 350 but it wasn't very stable. How far are you pushing the NB and SB?

Running 356x9 with 1.45vcore and 1.4 NB and 1.5 (stock) on SB. Have never touched the SB volts because I dont believe it has much of an impact on OC, that I know of, correct me if I'm wrong. Didnt realize how wrong all my apps were reporting my temps till I got the new Core Temp 0.96.1. Idling 32c and loading up to 60c on water! This thing might come out today, tempted to get my 8400.

I'm using it with an Asus P5N-E SLI which has the same chipset, 650i.

I'm surprised how well they OC for the value of the kit,
max oc so far is 1018 / 5-5-5-15 / 2.01v

Even the kit is rated as 800 5-6-6-18 running at 800 4-4-4-15 with 1.8v is no problem.

I cant seem to get much more than a 1000 outta them either, havent tried more than 2.15v, dont wanna fry em like my Firestix.

Hello,

I hope you guys can help....I built my Daughter a computer for Christmas and she is having a problem with it freezing up.......after about an hour or so of playing games ( even the sims ) we get artifacts and the the screen freezes....the only way to fix it is to hit the reset button and reboot.... The board is an MSI P6N SLI, Intel E6750, MSI NX8800GT-T2D512E-OC, 3 gigs of ADATA DDR2 800 2 x 1GB and 2 x 512MB , Coolermaster 650w SLI power supply, 2 160GB SATA hard drives in RAID 0 Running Windows XP Home 32 bit.....I have run ORTHOS for 24 hrs with no problems....I am running the latest drivers from Nivida...ANY IDEAS ON WHAT THE PROBLEM IS???????

P.S. I don't think that it overheating...I have been using the MSI Duel Core Center to monitor the temps

Hello,

I hope you guys can help....I built my Daughter a computer for Christmas and she is having a problem with it freezing up.......after about an hour or so of playing games ( even the sims ) we get artifacts and the the screen freezes....the only way to fix it is to hit the reset button and reboot.... The board is an MSI P6N SLI, Intel E6750, MSI NX8800GT-T2D512E-OC, 3 gigs of ADATA DDR2 800 2 x 1GB and 2 x 512MB , Coolermaster 650w SLI power supply, 2 160GB SATA hard drives in RAID 0 Running Windows XP Home 32 bit.....I have run ORTHOS for 24 hrs with no problems....I am running the latest drivers from Nivida...ANY IDEAS ON WHAT THE PROBLEM IS???????

P.S. I don't think that it overheating...I have been using the MSI Duel Core Center to monitor the temps

Did you OC the system? I had my system 12 hrs prime stable, but within one second of 3d rendering it was BSOD. Sometimes 3d will push it in ways that synthetic testing won't.

Did you OC the system? I had my system 12 hrs prime stable, but within one second of 3d rendering it was BSOD. Sometimes 3d will push it in ways that synthetic testing won't.

No I did not over clock the system

we get artifacts and the the screen freezes....the only way to fix it is to hit the reset button and reboot.... MSI NX8800GT-T2D512E-OC, .....I have run ORTHOS for 24 hrs with no problems....I am running the latest drivers from Nivida...ANY IDEAS ON WHAT THE PROBLEM IS???????

The artifacts are from the Qimonda GDDR3 chips from your 8800GT.
When a 8800GT overheats, then you will get red lines and other artifacts on your screen, then the the rig probably freezes...
Does the MSI Dual Core Center monitor the GPU temperatures? - I tink not. How are the core temperatures for that video card ? Use the Fur test from GPU Caps Viewer (but only for a couple of minutes ;) ), then tell me if you get any artifacts and what was the GPU temperature! :D
Seriously, I want to help you.

Does the MSI Dual Core Center monitor the GPU temperatures? - I tHink not.

it does actually, how accurate it is would be the question.

of course, i've seen it read the same temp on GPU as the built in nvidia drivers report the temp as, so maybe it is spot on, chap.

Good news, e8400 under testing on my rig. Flashed 2.4 bios just to be safe, booted right up. Finding the right vcore for stock stability before I overclock. I will start a new thread for those who are interested, this one is helpful, but mayhem.

Additional Note:

Priming at 4ghz with e8400! Check my thread for exact settings.

lets hope my e8400 boot when mine comes on thursday just read a review on newegg about somone not able to boot the e8400 on the p6n plat >.< and someone else saying it works flawlessly

can someone please pm me how to configure speedfan to work with a MSI P6N (non-platinum version)? And why the hell is the search function gone?

lets hope my e8400 boot when mine comes on thursday just read a review on newegg about somone not able to boot the e8400 on the p6n plat >.< and someone else saying it works flawlessly

445X9 Is the best I'm getting right now. I think this chip would run less vcore on intel. Now I'm torn, add another GTS, or jump ship to G33/p35, or wait for an SLI board that can do 500+ fsb? Ram will not pass Orthos over 800mhz, really bummed with that. I set it to stress cpu only and runs for hours, then run blend and instant failure. If I flash the Platinum bios, can I run 1066 ddr2?

Running 356x9 with 1.45vcore and 1.4 NB and 1.5 (stock) on SB. Have never touched the SB volts because I dont believe it has much of an impact on OC, that I know of, correct me if I'm wrong. Didnt realize how wrong all my apps were reporting my temps till I got the new Core Temp 0.96.1. Idling 32c and loading up to 60c on water! This thing might come out today, tempted to get my 8400.

I appreciate the reply. Also keep us updated on the goings w/ the e8400 if you can. I am considering dumping mine for that same chip.

Wow, 60C on water.. I'm on AIR so I guess I shouldn't push the chip that far. 3.2Ghz vs. 3.0Ghz, I guess it's not worth it.

hey guys, minor problem. How do I up the cpu voltage? I see something like "cpu volts" (cant remember exactly) and the settings go from like .0125 up to .3000. I played with these, and never changed my volts, according to CPU-z and everest. halp?

#&@&#^@&#*&#*&@ i think i got a dud cpu or its the mobo its stuck at the logo screen and dont have another mobo to try :( have to refund it becasue mwave wont let me exchange it would have to go to intel for exchange

#&@&#^@&#*&#*&@ i think i got a dud cpu or its the mobo its stuck at the logo screen and dont have another mobo to try :( have to refund it becasue mwave wont let me exchange it would have to go to intel for exchange

Did you try to update the BIOS? Can you test the new board with an older CPU that is supported by the board?

Have two 320gig 7200.10s in raid 0.

My average read is about 86megs
Burst speed is only about 160megs.

In device manager it won't let me enable write caching.

Help?

Hey everyone,
I just upgraded from an E4300 to a Q6600. I had my E4300 running at 3.0 ghz with no issues. I'm having a hell of a time OC'ing the Q6600 though. I just wanna get the Q6600 to at least 3.0 ghz. Relevant specs of my system:
P6N SLI-FI (bios 2.4)
Q6600 (G0)
Cooler Master GeminII with 2 Yate-Loon 120 mm fans
4 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 RAM
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W PSU
I've looked through this thread at other peoples Q6600 configs and have tried several as well as experimenting on my own. Any ideas/suggestions for settings?
TIA

it is very very hard to find a stable overclock for the q6600 for this board. i tried and tried and tried with every bios and every setting imaginable. i also tried all the settings mentioned in this and many other forums. no luck on stabilizing higher than 2.9 ghz. @ 2.9 i have it at near stock voltage and have the FSB VTT at 20%. it runs rock solid. havent had a hitch in the machine for over a week running stable with heavy gaming and media (tv + video editing and such). if u can get it to be stable at 3ghz then u got lucky. i have no such luck. my e4300 was also perfect at 3ghz(333x9) so it isnt a fsb hole in my board per se. so i lost 100mhz....the increase in cache and 2 more cores are great for multi-threaded apps. let me know what u can accomplish. u know u can always settle for 2.9ghz;).

When a 8800GT overheats, then you will get red lines and other artifacts on your screen, then the the rig probably freezes...
Does the MSI Dual Core Center monitor the GPU temperatures? - I tink not. How are the core temperatures for that video card ? Use the Fur test from GPU Caps Viewer (but only for a couple of minutes ;) ), then tell me if you get any artifacts and what was the GPU temperature! :D

I'm Starting to think that its an overheating problem......what do you guys recommend for an after market cooler 50 bucks and under please.....and one that takes up only one more slot

Thanks for the link to the utility (I hadn't heard of it before) ........:eek: But the thing really warms up a video card, it pushed my OC'd 8800GT all the way up to 37c and that's the hotest it's ever been..............:D

guys how did you solved loud north bridge fan issue ? i am talking about platinum version

Most were replacing the fan with a lower RPM model..............:D

But I haven't been following this thread at all here in the past few months because I sold my P6N board after I won a MSI P35 Platinum in a contest.......:)

Another route to go is to remove the small loud fan and build yourself a bracket for a large low RMP fan instead, that way you'll get better cooling over the whole board with less noise.

dsc00255ej2.jpg

seems msi loves you :D looks like neo board. thx for advice what is holding that fan i couldn't understand from the pic

The fan is bolted to the aluminum and mesh that coming from the top of my case .......:D

You can bolt a bracket on anywhere you want as long as it has a clear path to where you want the fan to set.

The board isa P35 Platinum Combo, it runs either DDR2 or DDR3 memory, I currently have DDR3 Kingston memory installed (won that as well).........;)

Some skill....;) Won a Tagan 700w PSU in a OC contest using my now sold MSI P6N SLI-Fi.

The rest were pretty much luck while others required you to post your butt off...............:D

Back