MSI P67A-C43 Heat Issue

Requiem

Limp Gawd
About a month ago I built a new 2500K system with a MSI P67A-C43. In Speedfan there's a reading called "Temp2" that reaches very, very high temperatures. Playing CS:Source it apparently hit 127C and now it's idling around 90C... Ambient is about 75F and airflow isn't bad at all. Does anyone know what this temperature reading is referring to?

I'm having the same issue with this Mobo and I5-2500K. does anybody know where this temp reading is coming from? or if it should be of a concern?

People think this is the PCH, however the chip would have shut down the system long before that got to 127C.

The temp prob is not being offset correctly, try the open hardware monitor (to see if it gives you something else) and/or ping the speedfan guys

Physically touch the southbridge heatsink, at such a temperature the heatsink should be well over 80C.

With Speedfan registering 85C I touched the southbridge heatsink and it was quite hot. I can keep my fingers on the heatsink for quite a while but after 5-10s it definitely starts to burn a bit. This particular temp reading does not show up in open hardware monitor.

With Speedfan registering 85C I touched the southbridge heatsink and it was quite hot. I can keep my fingers on the heatsink for quite a while but after 5-10s it definitely starts to burn a bit. This particular temp reading does not show up in open hardware monitor.

Then it can't possibly be 85C on the southbridge if you can keep it for 10s. That's probably around 40C on the heatsink and 60C on the chip.

As of right now it registers 127C without doing anything too strenuous (just watching large video files). I touched the heatsink and it's quite hot and it's uncomfortable to touch the heatsink for ~5s. I'm guessing (and hoping) that it's just a software glitch...

As of right now it registers 127C without doing anything too strenuous (just watching large video files). I touched the heatsink and it's quite hot and it's uncomfortable to touch the heatsink for ~5s. I'm guessing (and hoping) that it's just a software glitch...

Mine gets up to "127C" doing pretty much anything. Originally convinced that something horrible was going on, I wasted time trying to overheat the system to see if this would fail so I could get a new board. Everything kept working fine. This was running Crossfire X with two cards with full shrouds blocking most airflow around that heat sink as well...

Seriously if that chip was actually running at 127C it would immediately shut down the computer.

as a test I installed speedfan, according to it, my TEMP is -48c

in summary, it's reading and sensor offset's are wrong
you can go to the info tab, and submit your config so they will update for the board, I just did it for the MSI Z68MA-G45 mobo as nothing in my system is that cold.

Or just use Control Center (MSI's app) to see the temps, it's under the Green Power tab.

Back