MSI MAG341CQ DisplayPort Flicker/Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherMichigan

Limp Gawd
I just picked this monitor up over the weekend and I've been having some issues with it. When connected to my RX 480 via DisplayPort and running at its maximum refresh rate (100 Hz), I get frequent flickering and corruption of the display. The issue doesn't occur when using HDMI or if I drop the refresh rate to 60 Hz. The issue doesn't change based on Freesync setting (in the OSD or Radeon Settings) or Overdrive setting, so I'm fairly certain it's not related to either of those. I've tried reinstalling my display drivers, tried all three DP connections on the video card (there's only one on the monitor), and even booted into my Linux desktop, but the issue persists. I would just use the monitor over HDMI, but MSI doesn't provide an 18 Gbps cable in the box and I'm not about to spend an extra $20 just to get the monitor to work as designed.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with this or another monitor using the same panel (pretty sure it's an AU Optronics VA panel) or does anyone have suggestions to rule out things other than the monitor?

It's not a cable issue, it's a panel issue. I can't find who actually makes this panel, but it is the same one in the Viotek GN34CB. Seems to be a common issue with this monitor. It is on the cheap side, and you get what you pay for. It's probably a 60 Hz panel that they pushed to 100 Hz for the marketing point, but it actually can't hold that refresh rate reliably. If it's within the return period I'd just return it and get something better. Or you can try your luck with MSI RMA.

It's interesting because none of the reviews I read mentioned anything similar, it's fine over HDMI, and it will actually do 110 Hz without any (additional) issues. I exchanged it today at lunch and picked up a new video card -- purely to rule out issues, mind you ;) -- so we will see.

Looks like the issues were down to my RX 480. Replaced the monitor to no improvement, replaced the video card an everything seems great!

For the record, anyone who complains about the noise generated by the stock 5700 XT cooler doesn't remember the stock RX 480 cooler...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back