MSI laptops?

I have a GX640 and I love it. Great system for the price. Only a couple of complaints, both fairly minor (I don't like the look of the top controls, and the keyboard isn't well supported and flexes a bit). However it is a fast, powerful system for a good price. That's the important part in my book. Also, all components are standard and MSI doesn't lock any of the hardware so you can use vendor provided drivers, you don't have to get them from MSI. Not the case for all systems (Sony Vaios need video drivers from Sony, which are perpetually out of date).

As far as I know, all warranties are limited warranties. It just means that you don't get a replacement no matter what. You throwing it in to the street isn't covered, for example. The warranty is limited to certain things like defects in the system itself.

At any rate, when it was my money, the GX640 was the choice I made and I'm real happy with it. It isn't perfect, but it is extremely good and the price was very right.

I have a GX640 and I love it. Great system for the price. Only a couple of complaints, both fairly minor (I don't like the look of the top controls, and the keyboard isn't well supported and flexes a bit). However it is a fast, powerful system for a good price. That's the important part in my book. Also, all components are standard and MSI doesn't lock any of the hardware so you can use vendor provided drivers, you don't have to get them from MSI. Not the case for all systems (Sony Vaios need video drivers from Sony, which are perpetually out of date).

As far as I know, all warranties are limited warranties. It just means that you don't get a replacement no matter what. You throwing it in to the street isn't covered, for example. The warranty is limited to certain things like defects in the system itself.

At any rate, when it was my money, the GX640 was the choice I made and I'm real happy with it. It isn't perfect, but it is extremely good and the price was very right.

Agreed. I have the GX640 as well and its been great so far. It was one of the few laptops I could find with 1680x1050 res and core i5.

I have a gt725 and I've been quite pleased with it. The AC adapter that came with it had some overheating issues, but they warrantied it. At first, they wanted me to send the whole laptop back just to replace the AC adapter, but after I squawked a bit, they changed their minds. Other than that, it's been a joy.

I also bought the GX640 out of my own cash for my contract work.

Make no mistake, this is a gaming laptop, so no 10hour battery use. It gets warm. And it has gamming colours, but not too bad. I use it at my customer site and no issues or wierd looks.

The worst part is the keyboard. Pretty low quality.

Now the good part. It is not bulky or or as heavy as most gaming laptops.

This thing is fast. It has a nice i5, and an awesome Mobility HD 5850. I spend many hours at the airports because of flight delays. Wip out a mouse and headphones and I am gaming away.

Amazing resolution for the price. 1680x1050. Word and Web browsing is awsome. Lots of workspace and decent font size.

eSata for fast backups!!!

Hell, just a lot of laptop for $1100.

PS. I also like that I never see another with an MSI. Apple, HP, Toshiba, Lenovo, owners just look like sheep. LOL not that this really matters but it still makes me feel "special" ;)

Also it has good battery life, given that it is a gaming laptop with high end hardware. With the current firmware upgrade it really gets around 3 hours on battery doing web browsing. I used it on my flight up here and with a half bright screen and WiFi (lots of planes have that now) it lasted the whole flight. Not doing anything intense like gaming, of course, but you can surf on a plane for a good while. Normally, laptops with all discrete hardware run out of battery too fast.

Still doesn't compare to the high battery life laptops, if you get something with an LED screen, maybe an i3, and graphics switchable to Intel or nVidia integrated and you'll see 6-8 hours. However they won't compete gaming wise, of course.

It is a real good balance between something that is actually usable a a portable, and a heavy hitting gaming computer. It is still a gaming rig first and foremost, but you can unplug it and use it in a mobile setting for a reasonable amount of time.

their gx series particularly the gx640 and 1656 barebones are awesome.
1, they are priced right
2. they bundle a great warranty.
3. they are always lighter, thinner and slimmer vs. notebooks in their class
4. they come with a 9 cell battery
5. they come with an ati hd5850 which is tremendous for a notebook this size
6. they are made of brushed aluminum (need i say more)?
7. they do have the goodies like bluetooth, and esata

I am a huge fan of msi. their aesthetically pleasing design is a winner

It's also worth noting that they aren't 100% brushed aluminum. The visible parts are, like the back of the screen and the keyboard surround, but the bottom is not. Sounds cheap? Not the case actually. Metal bottomed laptops with high end components have a nasty tendency to get too hot. The plastic bottom helps prevent that.

All in all it is a very good design. Only thing performance wise that could use improving is the keyboard (I'm going to try and order an after market replacement, see how that goes). The top grille with the speakers and control is kinda ugly too, but that is looks only, it works fine.

Back