MSI k9A2 Plat With 2 Seagate 15k.4

losboricua

n00b
So I finally got my 2 Seagate 15k.4 146gb in a RAID-0. I loaded the OS and the drivers(Vista SP1 64bit) and then decided to run HDTune. I was NOT impressed at all with the results. My friends dual 320gb Seagate 7200rpms in RAID-0 get way better numbers. What am I doing wrong.

hdtune.jpg

I'm using the Promise T3 and they Are Seagate Cheetah 15k.4 SAS drives. I will have to look at the drives to get the exact model when I get home later tonight after work and school

Is that controller a SAS controller? SAS is not compatible with SATA and that might be why you are getting sub-par performance.

Edit: Apparently the T3 is a SAS adapter...

Something is not right.

those drives should get around 80mbs individually, so for some reason your raid is not scaling well.

do you have another controller?

It is onboard raid. I have 4 regular SATA raid plugs that can be used with the SB600 raid controller and then there is 2 Orange SATA/SAS plugs that are use with the other Onboard raid controller which is the Promise T3 Raid controller

Ah. I'm used to people using expansion cards when they list a manufacturer like Promise. Graph looks like the result of a single drive (not counting the end where it will normally slow down). Not really sure what your problem is though to be honest (maybe the controller is just very limited?).

Back