• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MSI K8N SLI Compatibility Issue Debunked

[em]HEAT

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 13, 2004
Messages
312
Motherboards Hardwarezone has debunked a compatibility issue with the MSI K8N SLI.

We got word from a few concerned readers about an installation issue with MSI's K8N Diamond and K8N SLI Platinum. Apparently two of the capacitors located beside the second PCI Express graphics slot were causing installation woes with the latest NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX graphics card. The capacitors, some claimed, were in the way of the graphics card's fan connector, making the motherboard unsuitable for SLI systems employing the aforementioned graphics card. While we don't think a lot of users will build new systems with two GeForce 7800 GTX graphics cards, we went ahead to investigate if this issue was at all true.
 
Not much of a debunking, regardless of how factual the original claims were. Capacitors shouldn't have to be moved out of the way to make something fit. A design flaw, to be sure.
 
Sizer said:
Not much of a debunking, regardless of how factual the original claims were. Capacitors shouldn't have to be moved out of the way to make something fit. A design flaw, to be sure.

I don't think MSI could have anticipated where the power connector would be on the 7800 when they made the board.
 
robberbaron said:
I don't think MSI could have anticipated where the power connector would be on the 7800 when they made the board.

Wasnt there a report that those caps were out of spec though? I havent read the article yet and dont have time right now too, so I could be wrong.
 
Skrying said:
Wasnt there a report that those caps were out of spec though? I havent read the article yet and dont have time right now too, so I could be wrong.


No idea. Could be, but, I haven't looked into it since MSI isn't a very important brand to me.
 
Back
Top