MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum chipset fan...

Think

Weaksauce
Mine is beginning to die already. Because the high-pitched noise of such small fans annoys me anyway, I had originally purchased a passive Zalman cooler. However, after applying an Arctic Cooling NV4 heatsink to my 6800GT, the Zalman turned out to be much too tall to use.

Have any of you Neo2 Platinum owners replaced the chipset fan? If so, what did you use? Any suggestions on low-profile replacement cooling? Thanks in advance! :)

Think said:
Mine is beginning to die already. Because the high-pitched noise of such small fans annoys me anyway, I had originally purchased a passive Zalman cooler. However, after applying an Arctic Cooling NV4 heatsink to my 6800GT, the Zalman turned out to be much too tall to use.

Have any of you Neo2 Platinum owners replaced the chipset fan? If so, what did you use? Any suggestions on low-profile replacement cooling? Thanks in advance! :)

How long have u had urs? Maybe i should change mine soon too even though i just got the mobo! :p

I just got my system up and running about two weeks ago, that's why it's a little annoying! ;) But oh well, I was planning on replacing the cooler anyway. I found this cooler over at FrozenCPU, lemme know what you guys think.

I have indeed considered watercooling, however I'm not sure about the practicality of it for me in my current situation. Being a college student, I transport my PC from home to school from time to time with breaks and such. Plus, living only 15 minutes away from college allows me to go home on weekends sometimes to play World of Warcraft on a connection that doesn't suck ass and give me constant 3000ms ping no matter the time of day.

I guess I'm just concerned about waterlogging my nice new system. :confused:

yeah, they could have placed that chip a little better, right smack under the agp card, sucks, if you find a fan let us know

I installed the Zalmann i my system.. Just had to tear a couple of its branches and it fit fine. And I have not had a single issue since...

Scy

k1pp3r said:
yeah, they could have placed that chip a little better, right smack under the agp card, sucks, if you find a fan let us know

Tell me about it. Its a pain in the ass to install and uninstall a video card with the NB cooler there next to the lock on the AGP slot.

burningrave101 said:
Tell me about it. Its a pain in the ass to install and uninstall a video card with the NB cooler there next to the lock on the AGP slot.

not really, i would say is anything got in your way there it would be the heatsink on the processor above it. the stock can is pretty low profile

Think said:

I've got a Chrome Polarflo SF Chipset on mine and the PNY 6600 GT AGP actually just barely cleared it. You can see some pictures of it installed at this link, but not after I put in the AGP card. The Capacitors on the 6600 GT AGP actually just touched the side of the waterblock, but still cleared. I was surprised, because I didn't know if I would have to find a different cooling solution.

http://www.fx-55.com/watercool/

It looks like the new DFI nForce boards are going to be even worse as far as where the Northbridge is placed - truly underneath the back of the card. At least on the Neo2 you can work a waterblock in just to the side of the AGP card.

k1pp3r said:
not really, i would say is anything got in your way there it would be the heatsink on the processor above it. the stock can is pretty low profile

Dude, do you have the Neo2? lol

Its a pain to push down the little plastic lever because the chipset fan is sitting right there in the way. I usually have to get something to push it down with because my fingers wont fit down between there very well.

The CPU heatsink wouldn't get in the way of installing and uninstalling the video card.

SureFire said:
It looks like the new DFI nForce boards are going to be even worse as far as where the Northbridge is placed - truly underneath the back of the card. At least on the Neo2 you can work a waterblock in just to the side of the AGP card.
If I recall correctly, the DFI boards will use a magnetic levitation design on their fan that will reduce wear and tear, hopefully you won't have to replace one at all.

burningrave101 said:
Dude, do you have the Neo2? lol

Its a pain to push down the little plastic lever because the chipset fan is sitting right there in the way. I usually have to get something to push it down with because my fingers wont fit down between there very well.

The CPU heatsink wouldn't get in the way of installing and uninstalling the video card.

yes i do, would you like me to take a picture. I didn't have a problem with the stock NB cooler and installing the vid card (of course i had my tower laying down) i could see a problem if you have a big arse heatsink on the NB or CPU though, But i still didnt' have a problem

Back