MSI K8N neo2 plat, memory placing

niceplace

Weaksauce
Ive finally built my new box based on MSI K8N neo2 platinum. I have 1gb ram 2x512mb am i correct in saying one 512 goes in DIMM-1 coloured green and the other 512 goes in DIMM-2 coloured purple. Ive set it up this way but someone is saying that the ram should go in the 2 green slots but according to the table on MSI site im correct, heres the page

HTML:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=607

This person is also saying that at boot up on the post screen it will say "dual channel" selected or words similar to that. I am not seeing this message at boot is this cos ive put my memory in the wrong slots or because the message doesnt exist. Is there anyway you can verify that dual channel is enabled on the MSI-board other than taking the case side off and looking. Thanks

The table on the MSI website is correct. Your friend was reading the manual, which says to fill the green slots first. I believe this is a misprint, as filling the green slots first will only get you single channel. :rolleyes:

If you disable the post picture, you’ll notice on cold boot that there's a really long text line after it lists the CPU type (on my monitor, it fills the entire line). This lists your ram configuration, and channel setting.

Another way is to run CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php), and click on the memory tab.

Hope that helps.

Not so much a friend, more a i know everything. I had read quite a few reviews before i bought this board and remembered more than one reviewer saying be careful with the ram placement for dual channel as it was not the same as prervious msi boards. I just wanted some opinions from this forum as some of the members hear just seem to know AMD stuff inside out. I will disable the post picture and take a look at that line. Anyway thanks for your input and the link to CPU-Z

as dmatteson said. was a missprint.

1 & 2 for dual channle mode @ 400mhz.
1 & 3 for single channle @ 333mhz.

4 sticks will be dual channle @ 333 unless they are single sided (expensive)

Also, it was important when I built my rig that I used the two slots CLOSEST to the cpu. No post with the others.

codegrinder thanks for the info, how much more expensive is single sided.

ColinR the 2 nearest the cpu are were i placed mine, dont know if it works in the furthest 2. Think i might leave em were they are :)

MSI Reminds You...
• Dual-channel DDR works ONLY in the 3 combinations listed in the table shown in the previous page.
• Please select the identical memory modules to install on the dual channel, and DO NOT install three memory modules on three DIMMs, or it may cause some failure.
• Always insert the memory modules into the GREEN slots first, and it is strongly recommended not to insert the memory modules into the PURPLE slots while the GREEN slots are left empty.
• This mainboard DO NOT support the memory module installed with more than 18 pieces of IC (integrated circuit).

I was coming on here to ask the same question as the OP. That is straight from the MSI website. I thought it was the two closet to the CPU too, but this has me doubting myself. Which is it??

Also, that whole table doesn't make any sense to me.. can someone explain it??

The table does make sense if you concentrate on the table with only 3 lines. Here,s a quote from a review on the web

Something that we need to mention here is the color coding and installation of the dimms. Typically, you would place the dimms in the same colored slots so you can run in dual channel mode. But, when we did that, we quickly found that our memory was not running in dual channel mode. Then we saw this on the top of the board: Dual channel on this board is enabled by running your memory in dimms 1 and 2 or 3 and 4.

Ive got mine in DIMMS 1 and 2 and dual channel is enabled, i seen it on post screen.

Back