MSI K8N Diamond

What he^ said.

ockie.jpg

kuyaglen said:
What he^ said.

ockie.jpg

Wow, that is awesome... why doesn't everyone jump on this like they did on the A8N32? Does it not overclock the CPU's as much? I think the board layout on this is a lot nicer and temps on the chipset will be cooler. LoL. I think this board is hawt!

noobtech said:
Wow, that is awesome... why doesn't everyone jump on this like they did on the A8N32? Does it not overclock the CPU's as much? I think the board layout on this is a lot nicer and temps on the chipset will be cooler. LoL. I think this board is hawt!
yep and it also has onboard audigy sound ;)

noobtech said:
why doesn't everyone jump on this like they did on the A8N32? Does it not overclock the CPU's as much? I think the board layout on this is a lot nicer and temps on the chipset will be cooler. LoL. I think this board is hawt!

Totally. The a8n32 came out first and got a hold of the imagination with a first-mover" type move.

I owned a a8n32 and liked it but did not love it. The layout was poor. the heatpipes are damn sexy and I like the more subdued look of most Aus boards. I can do without pastel colors on slots and such.

nonetheless, i jumped on the k8n DP when it first came out. for me, it OC's better than my old a8n32. the on board sound allows you to have other dedicated cards if you are not a sound Nazi.

At least it has the heatpipes - they just don't look as cool. I do like MSI's utilities better and CORE. The ram slots are less than desireable though. they are a little close for my taste and the populating configuration is weak compared to the every other slot in an Asus.

So in the end I got rid of my a8n32 and I have the k8n DP in one machine and an a8r32-mvp in another. I prefer both of these boards much more over the a8n series.

cpuz_cpu_sli_01.png
cpuz_memory_sli_01.png

Finished setting up my new sli rig courtesy of the MSI DP and evga7800gtx bought [H]ere on the FS forum.

Comming from the Asus A8N-E the bios layout for OC'ing made a lot more sense to me. Perhaps my ram is setting me back

kuyaglen_sli_rig_1b.jpg

K8N Diamond Plus is a great board, I'm running a 7800GT SLI setup on mine with my X2 3800+ at 2.4. Here is my 06 3dmark with the cards at stock speeds. Pushes my 2407 just fine in BF2. Onboard sound is good enough that my audigy 2 zs is currently sitting in it's antistatic bag waiting for another machine.

ND40oz said:
Onboard sound is good enough that my audigy 2 zs is currently sitting in it's antistatic bag waiting for another machine.

Yeah. This is the first board with onboard sound that I've yet to hear any "system noise" when nothing is playing. On my Asus A8N-E you can hear different types of buzzes when you move the mouse, a window, the hdd gets accessed or any number of emi caused by the system. With everything up and nothing playing I only hear the rustling of my earbuds against my shoulder/head...cause its like earplugs when theres nothing playing.
:D

And I love the bios reset button!!!

I hit the bios reset button on accident yesterday while plugging in a SATA cable. Turned my computer back on and was like, son of a b......

Had to go back in a set everything. :(

dR.Jester said:
I hit the bios reset button on accident yesterday while plugging in a SATA cable. Turned my computer back on and was like, son of a b......

Had to go back in a set everything. :(

You should find a straw with a diameter just big enough to go around the button and cut it down to protect against unwanted resets.

How does the heatpipe cooler work on this. Does it work relatively well. Also is the fan relatively silent. I"m trying to decide between this board and an asus a8n32.

RobDMB said:
How does the heatpipe cooler work on this. Does it work relatively well. Also is the fan relatively silent. I"m trying to decide between this board and an asus a8n32.

Well this rig is still as its pictured, I have yet to do any cable manegment or put the side panel back on and the only thing I notice is the 9500 (on full) blast and still it very quiet...quieter then a notebook's fan when on medium. So as for any unwanted noise from this mobo, there is none.

As for the heatpipe performance, I've oc'd my 3200 venice to 2.7, but I have to bring it down to 2.5 for BF2, it maybe the G.Skill ram...that crashes in games.

Can the orange pci "communications" slot be used by any pci card?

Back