MSI K8N Diamond Plus

Mindriot

Limp Gawd
Well I just purchased the MSI K8N Diamond Plus yesterday, and it should arrive here this Friday. So I'm posting here to get the opinion of K8N Diamond Plus owners to see what I should expect and maybe give me some pointers as to which CPU and Memory to put into ths board.

WTF, why does everyone wait tell AFTER they buy "it" to ask if its anygood?

I asked for pointers on Memory and CPU combo's there buddy. I never asked if it was good. I know it's good!! I spent 3 weeks researching whether to buy the DFI Expert the ASUS A8n32 SLI or this board. I went woth this due to the fact it had a better layout, Onboard Audiguy, And it apparently overclocks pretty well and (edit: and the dualx16 PCI Express Slots

I want the opinon of K8N Diamond Plus Owners of CPU and Memory Combos . Read it again!!!

Maybe I could have worded it better. Either way your reply is just uncalled for !!!!!

Mindriot, you'll be happy with it. ;)

I recommend sticking an X2 on it if you haven't already done so.

I just got my board up and running a few minutes ago, using an X2 4400+ and Mushkin XP Redline 2GB. So far so good, I'll post some OCing results as I test things.

You'll want an additional fan near the NB though, it gets hot.

Don't use the nVidia NIC. Although the Diamon doesn't seem to get download corruption the like A8N32 does it still causes problems with Steam among other things.

Update: If you have a PCI card installed in the orange PCI slot then a "PCI modem" will show up in your device manager. The only solution right now is to just disable it.

2nd Update: While overclocking my PC didn't POST after a reboot, I'm affraid that the warm boot issues that occured on my A8N32-SLi might be popping up here. Both boards using AMI BIOSs so that could mean something.(Award is much better) The CPU temp probe is reporting my CPU idle @ 22-24C, on my A8N32 it was ~38-40. Load temps are also much lower. Either I did a super job applying my AS5 or this temp probe is reporting much lower than normal.

Bop, here's a tip for you. Enable onboard sound in the BIOS and watch that PCI modem listing disappear. I discovered this five minutes ago. When onboard sound is enabled in the BIOS, a 'Multimedia Audio Controller' is found and no PCI modem detected. Disable onboard sound, the audio controller vanishes from Device Manager and the PCI modem appears in its place.

I guess the solution is to enable onboard sound in the BIOS then disable it in Device Manager, assuming you have an X-Fi/whatever. Haven't tried that yet to see if any conflicts arise.

Now, can one of you guys with the Diamond Plus answer me a Q? If I only have 1 graphics card, do I have to put it in the Primary PCIe slot? I tried it in that and it worked fine, but no display whatsoever in the Secondary PCIe slot - dodgy mobo or does the secondary slot only come into play once the primary slot is actually being used? (I know you can use the secondary slot on its own in Asus mobos but I'm not sure if MSI is different...)

Oh, one other Q for you guys.

The first time I booted up, I got the error 'CMOS Checksum Bad. Press F1 to go to setup or F2 to load default values'.

I pressed F2 and things worked okay - although whenever I reset the CMOS, it goes back to those 'bad' values.

Anyone else have that problem?

Thats normal.

For the PCI express thing there is an option to allow the PCI-E 2nd slot to be the primary display, it looks like PCI-E 2 > PCI > PCI-E 1 or something like that.

The warm boot issue is really pissing me off. It looks to be a problem with all SLi X16 boards right now. I'm beginning to regret not getting the DFI Expert now, if it keeps occuring I'm returning the MSI and getting that.

Yeah, I would have probably gotten this mobo for my sig rig if it had been around when I built it, better slot spacing for dual slot GPUs and better integrated sound. There was some mention of a problem, I think it was a BIOS issues, can't remember where I saw that, but otherwise everything else I've read was positive.

So what's going in it?

Good luck!

Bop said:
Thats normal.

For the PCI express thing there is an option to allow the PCI-E 2nd slot to be the primary display, it looks like PCI-E 2 > PCI > PCI-E 1 or something like that.

The warm boot issue is really pissing me off. It looks to be a problem with all SLi X16 boards right now. I'm beginning to regret not getting the DFI Expert now, if it keeps occuring I'm returning the MSI and getting that.

Bop - was 'thats normal' in reference to the CMOS Checksum issue or the primary/secondary PCIe slot issue?

I did actually try changing that setting in the BIOS but no effect - the 1st slot still worked even when I set PCIe2 to be primary. I'm guessing it only applies when both slots are filled?

Its normal in reference to the BIOS checksum, after the CMOS is cleared the default values need to be placed into memory.

You get no video at all during POST with PCI-E 2 set to initialize first? I did try it with a SLi setup but I could see video when the system booted up, however when windows loaded I had to switch back to card one.

Thats right - no video even during the POST stage when I use the secondary PCie slot (when there's nothing in the primary slot).

Does that sound bad?

I wouldn't be too worried, you'll just have to run the card in the first slot. I've only tested it with both slots filled and it was on my A8N32 so it'd probably happen to me too.

I'd like to mention that dual Prime w/ 3dmark loop torture test failed at 8 hours :( 2706mhz w/ 1.55v. I'm cranking the volts up one more notch, I'm a little dissapointed with this board. My older DFI SLI-DR hit 2.75ghz with that much voltage.

pibrahim said:
Bop - was 'thats normal' in reference to the CMOS Checksum issue or the primary/secondary PCIe slot issue?

I did actually try changing that setting in the BIOS but no effect - the 1st slot still worked even when I set PCIe2 to be primary. I'm guessing it only applies when both slots are filled?
Is there any reason you have to put your Card in the secondary slot? I mean there is a reason there is a Primary and secondary slot. Do you have some sort of spacing issue?

I'm just curious as I'm buying my system piece by piece. And would like to get some heads up if there is some sort of spacing issue. Next week I will buy either the Memory or the CPU depending on pricing.

I have the Asus EN7800GT Dual and it won't show both GPUs when in the primary slot - it didn't on my Asus A8N32-SLI and it doesn't on the Diamond Plus (guess it's not surprising, same chipset).

Only difference is that on the A8N32 I could use the secondary slot and the card worked fine. Can't use the secondary slot on the MSI without the primary slot being used, or at least that's my understanding of it anyway although it'd be good to get confirmation.

No spacing issues though, layout is much better than on the Asus.

pibrahim said:
I have the Asus EN7800GT Dual and it won't show both GPUs when in the primary slot - it didn't on my Asus A8N32-SLI and it doesn't on the Diamond Plus (guess it's not surprising, same chipset).

Only difference is that on the A8N32 I could use the secondary slot and the card worked fine. Can't use the secondary slot on the MSI without the primary slot being used, or at least that's my understanding of it anyway although it'd be good to get confirmation.

No spacing issues though, layout is much better than on the Asus.
Ah it's a dual core Graphics card. I gotcha now!

I have just replaced a DFI SLI-DR with this board and I have had no problems with this board. Overclocked 218MHz right now but will try to get higher without lowering multiplier. Like the space between video cards and still use PCI slot for sound card. I'm using 2 gig Corsair LL pro and 4800+ dual core. So far this is the board I like best from Asus SLI Premium, DFI SLI-DR and MSI. Good luck and I think you will like the baord.

Bop said:
I wouldn't be too worried, you'll just have to run the card in the first slot. I've only tested it with both slots filled and it was on my A8N32 so it'd probably happen to me too.

I'd like to mention that dual Prime w/ 3dmark loop torture test failed at 8 hours :( 2706mhz w/ 1.55v. I'm cranking the volts up one more notch, I'm a little dissapointed with this board. My older DFI SLI-DR hit 2.75ghz with that much voltage.
Bop is that Memory in your Sig DDR500?

Reason I ask is, I stumbled upon this blurb over here at MSI.com

Attention:
The K8N Diamond Plus mainboard is equipped with excellent overclocking functions and capabilities. Please make sure that your system components and peripherals are endurable to some abnormal settings before overclocking. Any damage resulted from improper setting or adjustment which over product specifications will not warranted. If you wish to adjust CPU FSB to 250MHz or more, we strongly recommend you to use DDR500 or better memory modules.

Back