MSI K7N2 Boot Problem

I just built the box as listed in my sig.
I'm having a strange boot/POST problem.

When I power it up, all the fans are running, the optical drives initialize, but I get no POST confirmation beep and no video. The HD access light stays lit and the MSI diag LEDs show it halted at memory initialization.
I can get it to boot OK after I hit the reset button.

I RMA'd my first RAM chip and the replacement does the same thing. I'm using one chip in slot 1. Tried all 3 slots.
Nothing is OC'd yet and the RAM settings are set to default.
I'm not using a floppy and it is disabled in BIOS.
I have flashed the BIOS to the most current version.
I have cleared the CMOS to default settings which did not help.
I set the "safe mode" jumper to 100Mhz FSB and that did not help.

Can anyone help? I'm stumped.

does it give you a beep error when you try to start without memory installed?

It's been a few days since I tried it, but I think it does beep without memory installed. I'll have to try it again.

Im hearing that MSI boards are really picky about ram. Have you tried another type of ram at all?

Originally posted by Highlife
Im hearing that MSI boards are really picky about ram. Have you tried another type of ram at all?

Not yet. I may have access to some to try out though.

I think your problem is pretty common, I've gone through 3 of the MSI K7N2's and I'm sending another one off that quit working on me. I finally got fed up with it and bought an Abit NF7-S (Best hardware decision I've ever made). Once, the power randomly cut off to my computer and I finally figured out that it was the motherboard, however I have had the blank screen problem twice.

Its most likely your choice of RAM, this board is VERY picky about RAM and 1 X Crucial 512MB PC-2700 isn't on the approved list http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=14555&sid=da69a377beaf65283a879310d7d30dd4

I recently went through MSI hell (I had the K7N2G-ILSR) if you want a hassle free memory choice go with Mushkin Level II Black .. pretty much any configuration ( 1x, 2x, 256, 512 etc) of this memory works well with the MSI board.

Becarefull with that list - I was using an OCZ Dual memory kit (2x 512 PC3200) which is listed as being OK and it didn't work with my MSI board (didn't work consistantly anyway - I'd have to boot 4 or 5 times before I didn't get a failed memory test alert).

I must be lucky then ... I built 3 using this mobo ...

2 using PC2700 Kingston Value RAM, Austin 300W PSU, 2500+

and this one in my sig ...

did you install the led d-bracket that comes with this mobo? check that. its a good starting point if you know you havent done anything really bad like erase the bios chip ie: clear cmos with power on, take battery out while comp is running, etc. setting the fsb jumper to 100 will not help. keep the ram in slot 1. your memory might not be the problem. i had 1 512mb stick of generic ram before my corsair that worked fine. just get the manual out, look on the led d-bracket it you installed it, then match color config to the code in the manual.

Back