MSI K7D master-L help needed.

TED

Gawd
Hey, need some help with my dualy. Few nights ago I was playing WOW and in mid reply to somebody my machine hard locked with a black screen (no video at all). There was no stuttering or anything similar before this happend. I did not hear any odd noises, but I was wearing my 280 pros at the time. I tried reseting the computer, did not initialize the monitor, but everything spun up. reseated the cards and memory, same thing. pulled all the cards except video, same thing. changed to known working ram, same thing. pulled hdd cables, same thing. unplugged hdd's power where only the MB was on the PS, same thing. after all of this I decided to leave it alone and go to bed(was 3am by that time anyway, had work at 8am as well lol)

Next day after work I remembered that the k7d had that d-led thing. I watched it when I turned on the computer and the top 2 (both on the bracket and the ones built onto the mb) flashed from green to red, alternating (ie red green, then green red or visa versa) Looked it up in the manual and it said nothing about 2 alternating colors, but if it was grrr it had a chipset problem and if it was rgrrr it was a memory problem. (g= green r=red)

Since I had already flipped the memory with known working memory, that kinda rules that out, and unless I missed something in the manual, I have no idea what that could mean.

Meanwhile since I needed a computer I pulled the video card and ram and a couple of my hdds and put them in my 2ndary computer, everything worked.

The only thing that changed on my dualy recently is I bought a set of memory, 2x512 pc3200, it worked just fine, and still does in the other system.

The only thing that I see left is it could be the cpu's, motherboard, or powersupply.

If anyone has any advice, or knows what the flashing dled means, I would be abliged for the info.
I dont feel comfortable flipping out processors at the moment because there is a chance that I could mess up my current machine testing them, If it comes to that I will do it some weekend that I have steady hands lol.

Dualy system specs

msi k7d master-l
2x1.6 applebirds, l5 mod only (didnt go for the extra cache)
2x512mb pc3200 ram sticks, the ones that were on sale recently for ~73$, beleave they were Kingmax
chaintech ti4200 128mb
usb2.0 card that came with the board.
maxtor ata133 controller
cheapo ata133 controller
vantec stealth 520w power supply
2x250gb maxtor
1x160gb maxtor
1x120gb western digital
1x60gb maxtor
1x20gb maxtor

Thanks for the help

TED

ps, sorry for the long post.

That's a very odd problem. If the DLED is reporting that it's stuck between those two stages, then it sounds like the board is dead, since the BIOS hasn't even loaded at that point.

I wish I could give a more informative post, but I've never heard of such a thing.

Vertigo Acid said:
MSI RMA has always been very good to me, so keep that in mind ;)
i guess you like waiting then...

one of my boards took like 3 weeks. my neo2 is getting back monday after a month...

I have had this board for over a year now, would it still be under warrenty?

Thanks

TED

Just a heads up if anyone has this problem in the future. One of the cpu's was fried.

L8r

Ted

Check your capacitors then, shorted caps can fry a cpu, and there have been a lot of those mainboards recapped...

MD

Back