MSI How about you send the same spec

Sinster

Gawd
card back to me.

I sent one of my 280x in for RMA which matched my other 280X. This is what I received in return

GPUZ
Compare at default clocks, shaders, bandwidth, ROPs/TMU's, Texture Fillrate, DirectCompute 5.0.
This is the card I received back from RMA.
RMA.gif

This is my other 280X card which the one I sent in match.
nonrma.gif

In order to run this card at 280x advertised speeds. I have to overclock it.
http://us.msi.com/product/vga/R9-280X-GAMING-3G.html#hero-specification

I also apologize if you've seen this on other forums. I think it's BS and I feel people should be aware.. Some might feel I'm over reacting, but I don't.

lol no, they didn't send you back a 280x, they sent you a regular 280.
Demand a replacement for the right model card.

Someone probably goofed somewhere. Some random idiot in the packing facility probably didn't realize there was a difference between a 280 and 280x.

Better yet, if your card has a 280x sticker, that might mean someone bought a 280 and a 280x, swapped stickers, and returned the 280 as the 280x. Retailer then sends it back to MSI, and MSI throws it into the replacements for RMA pile.

It's not the fact that they did this that makes a company good or bad. It's how they respond to it. Tell them in a nicely worded, polite email that you got sent a wrong card. Don't get angry. MSI has always properly taken care of me in the end, they should replace this for you no problem. Yes, you are overreacting, because you didn't give them a chance to make things right before posting this rant.

Wow MSI made a mistake!!!!!!!.....I'll never buy from them again....lol .....maybe you get them to upgrade you to a 290 for the trouble

Your definitely over reacting without even trying to work things out with them.....especially posting on multiple forums...for what?

I also apologize if you've seen this on other forums. I think it's BS and I feel people should be aware.. Some might feel I'm over reacting, but I don't.

You are over-reacting.

If you speak to them about the issue and they dismiss you then by all means your complaints are warranted.

Being so upset that someone may have accidentally sent you the wrong card is irrational. People make mistakes.

Give them a chance to make it right before making a big deal about how MSI screwed you over on an RMA.

Whoa whoa whoa stop the clock ;) Not once did I mention that I wasn't going to buy another MSI product or that anyone else shouldn't either. I also didn't say I wasn't trying to give MSI their chance to make things right. I'm just pointing out to make sure people check their stuff they get back from RMA. Not everyone would have caught this. Yes I was BS after installing my card and I was getting all kinds of artifacting. I ended up throttling everything down to 1020/1500 and I still got artifacting.

The S/N sticker on the card matches the S/N sticker on the box that it was received in. It calls it a R9 280X. The box isn't a retail box either.

I also don't want a 290x as I run my stuff in CF.. I know it will save me some coin by saving power running only one card.

Last edited:
Someone probably goofed somewhere. Some random idiot in the packing facility probably didn't realize there was a difference between a 280 and 280x.

Better yet, if your card has a 280x sticker, that might mean someone bought a 280 and a 280x, swapped stickers, and returned the 280 as the 280x. Retailer then sends it back to MSI, and MSI throws it into the replacements for RMA pile.

It's not the fact that they did this that makes a company good or bad. It's how they respond to it. Tell them in a nicely worded, polite email that you got sent a wrong card. Don't get angry. MSI has always properly taken care of me in the end, they should replace this for you no problem. Yes, you are overreacting, because you didn't give them a chance to make things right before posting this rant.

I like the approach which is recommended.

Give 'em a chance to fix a mistake. Heck, they already RMA'd your original card. Just describe what you're seeing (a 280), and why you think a 280x would be appropriate.

I love MSI, all my RMA's have been perfect... Than again so have my 10+ asus RMA's lolol Only company i wont deal with again is HIS....

After submitting a claim and waiting 24 hours. I ended up calling and after a little bit of a run around about if the sticker states it's a 280x then it's a 280x and the s/n isn't valid. I finally got a RMA.

They also stated that they would verify it before it left. I'm not sure if I believe that statement. I also don't feel the person whom I spoke with was all that technical. I mentioned the clocks speeds and shaders being different. There was silence and he fell back on the sticker being a 280x. I understand that not every CRS will be technical it's the way it is. If you don't know just say you don't and don't fall back on the sticker.

Also tried to get it cross shipped. That was a no-go.

Pretty much the only company I have seen offering cross-ship is EVGA for video cards.

Pretty much the only company I have seen offering cross-ship is EVGA for video cards.

Really? So what do these companies expect their customers to do for the 2 weeks of downtime? The only time I've had to RMA a card was through EVGA so I guess I missed out on what could have been a "fun" experience?

Wow MSI made a mistake!!!!!!!.....I'll never buy from them again....lol .....maybe you get them to upgrade you to a 290 for the trouble

Your definitely over reacting without even trying to work things out with them.....especially posting on multiple forums...for what?

I've made one rma with MSI, an nforce motherboard (surprise, surprise). It came back with half of the heatsink missing. How does that even happen?

A few years ago I ordered an msi GTX570 to match my existing one. Ordered the same exact model number. I got a GTX 570 on a GTX470 pcb and cooler. Way the fuck louder than my reference model.

I don't touch msi or asus when it comes to videocards. I don't touch asus for anything for that matter.

I've had good luck with the one sapphire warranty that I had to do. IDK, amd board partners are kind of iffy. There is no company on par with evga.

Well, thats only if you pay like $20 at the time that you register your card iirc.

They didn't used to be that scummy, now they are. That particular bit of nastiness is why EVGA is off my list. Which is kind of too bad, they used to be my #1 pick, now with the removal of the lifetime warranties and that it's just nope town.

They didn't used to be that scummy, now they are. That particular bit of nastiness is why EVGA is off my list. Which is kind of too bad, they used to be my #1 pick, now with the removal of the lifetime warranties and that it's just nope town.

When did they drop the lifetime warranty? Who else are you going to use?

He's going to switch to AMD and buy XFX because they're the only company who still believes in their product enough to offer an actual lifetime warranty (and not product-lifetime like some companies).

When did they drop the lifetime warranty? Who else are you going to use?

Whatever looks decent from a good manufacturer. Right now i've got a MSI card (here's hoping I don't have to RMA it) because it was a good value and had a non-reference cooler. (hate those little squirrel cage blowers, they're not exactly quiet)

He's going to switch to AMD and buy XFX because they're the only company who still believes in their product enough to offer an actual lifetime warranty (and not product-lifetime like some companies).

Don't speak for others. AMD's current cards are way in nope town due to the excessive power usage they've got going on.

IDK, looks like evga still uses a 3 or 5 year warranty dependent on registration. Not even sure if it transfers anymore. Thats more than enough for me and no worse than any other manufacturer and better than the "limited lifetime" warranties by places like pny. Don't get me wrong I would go pny over Asus or MSI.

I generally buy reference anyways.

Those blower coolers aren't exactly quiet unless you have a titan style but they do work well in sli and crossfire.

Back