MSI Hawk HD7870 at 1800mhz 3dMark11 score over 11,000

i'm guessing the second one was either a mistake or a suicide clock since the CPU was LN2 cooled, i think the card was LN2 cooled as well. but another thing that is also impressive is that 1.725Ghz clock on the ram putting it at GDDR5 6.9Ghz.

Yeah, I'm wondering what voltage these were running at. I know these have MSI Reactor or whatever on them, but you have gotta think these are voltmodded cards?

Yeah, I'm wondering what voltage these were running at. I know these have MSI Reactor or whatever on them, but you have gotta think these are voltmodded cards?

not always, GPU's/vrm's are a lot more sensitive to temps per clock increase.. so if you can get the temps low enough you can actually clock a card pretty damn high even on stock clocks..

but most likely these are just running a custom no voltage limit bios.

Quite possible. The 3rd ranked 7870 (also MSI Hawk, LN2) was at 1700Mhz on 1.6Vcore 1.8Vmem

It's a fast card but a HD7950 can beat score with stock voltage and speeds much lower. Gtx 670 looks
much better as well.

I don't see the point of this card unless it is priced at $300. I think a hawk HD7950 would be much more effective product.

When it comes down to $279 it may have value. Now it's a complete ripoff. 7950 can be had for almost same price and is faster stock AND has almost 500Mz OC headroom vs about 300Mhz for HAWK on air.

Since 7950 has more IPC than 7870 it's 500Mhz OC is very very significant compared to 7870.

Basically that card is joke stock and OCed until price comes down.

If you want AMD buy 7950. If you want to OC buy 7950 since it will be more rewarding only starting @ 800Mhz.

It's a fast card but a HD7950 can beat score with stock voltage and speeds much lower. Gtx 670 looks
much better as well.

I don't see the point of this card unless it is priced at $300. I think a hawk HD7950 would be much more effective product.

really, so you make a thread about a record overclock on a card and then turn it into a which card is better then another card even though not a single one of us said anything about performance and were purely commenting on the overclock its self.. good job, thats all i have to say.

really, so you make a thread about a record overclock on a card and then turn it into a which card is better then another card even though not a single one of us said anything about performance and were purely commenting on the overclock its self.. good job, thats all i have to say.

Relax. I started thread and I commented on it. I don't see what the big deal is... ??? :confused:

Another thing is where are these super duper MSI cards I've been hearing about over a month now- talk about vaporware.

Find me a 7870 Hawk, a 7970 lightnig, a 7850 power edition.

If you think 680s are hard to find you have seen nothing yet.

MSI 7850 power edition, no where in sight. Lame, would have bought at the right price.

No stock on their regular 7850 either at least at the places I shop at. Much easier to find an asus or sapphire.

Hmm, didn't see a release date anywhere.

Too late now, my sapphire 7850 arrives tomorrow.

Elmor is in the MSI R&D team now, from Sweden and a great well know OCer... likely LN2 and was using purely the Afterburner voltage control ( xtreme versions for those who are given it to overclock have much higher limits than the public versions ;) <- likely for him to have as R&D)

I know who he is and it doesn't make sense for him to record the score with stock cooling. He knows how to control his settings on the HWbot upload.

I don't think he was using LN.

In any case the score looks low for such a crazy high speed on the core.

Back