MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3 GB

HardOCP News

[H] News
It would seem that the folks at techPowerUP! really liked the MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3 GB they just reviewed. Here's a quote from the review on overclocking the card:

MSI's new GTX 780 Lightning is built to provide maximum overclocking features for enthusiasts and record breakers. It comes with a large overclock out of the box that makes it faster than GTX Titan, yet still has more headroom inside. Our manual overclocking yielded another 14% performance increase.

do we really need a separate thread on this?

also, the review is lame and the card sounds "meh"

Maximum overclock on our card is 1120 MHz GPU base clock (14% overclocking) and +208 MHz memory (14% overclock).

reference 780 can do that easily
:rolleyes:

do we really need a separate thread on this?

also, the review is lame and the card sounds "meh"

reference 780 can do that easily
:rolleyes:

1173 rated boost. Tpu never posts the actual in game boost clock's. Guru was able to squeeze 1333 boost out of this card, in his review.

The only thing that was holding this card back, was its power target. Msi has already released a new bios with a 300% power target. I'm curious to see when reviewers will actually test that new bios.

Last edited:
Msi has already released a new bios with a 300% power target. I'm curious to see when reviewers will actually test that new bios.

that bios was released through guru3d and nvidia already contacted them and had it removed

so which one guys... evga classified, galaxy hof, or msi lightning (of GTX 780s)?

that bios was released through guru3d and nvidia already contacted them and had it removed

Yup, you're right. The d/l link has been removed.

I wonder what MSI has to say about it. At this point, without that bios, the lightning looks like a massive flop.

Yup, you're right. The d/l link has been removed.

I wonder what MSI has to say about it. At this point, without that bios, the lightning looks like a massive flop.

Why? You can still flash the bios. I'm sure that its on TPU at this very moment.

My GTX680 lightning didn't come with a bios that would allow for voltage control, that didn't stop me.

Even then I'm sure that you could always mod the factory bios.

"Memory on the other hand overclocked quite poorly because of the Elpida memory chips used, which will cost you roughly 100 MHz compared to cards with Hynix or Samsung memory."

so is Elpida known to be inferior to Hynix or Samsung? if so then why the hell would they use it on their top 780 card?

Because Samsung VRAM is on shortage. This affects everyone, not just MSI - the classified and HOF are also using Elpida, because that is the only VRAM available until supplies improve.

I got to 1.2 with my 780 HOF edition. I'm sad it can't do 1.3 like the review though.

Can you guys utilize the msi afterburner voltage unlock on reference 780s? My 690 can go up to 1.3v now

The card is a beast but sure is ugly IMO. I'd rather have the HOF.

I'm a fan of the MSI Lightning cards (I currently use the GTX 580 Lightning) but in this case it doesn't seem as impressive for some reason...still a great card with great components but the ASUS one is right up there with them

I loved the 580 and 680 lightnings. But this card......That price is just shocking. Prior Lightning SKUs represented a better price and better value/performance than the 580/680 classified cards. Sadly that didn't happen this time - the performance and OC'ing is there, but that price premium is nuts.

Last edited:
780 Classified would be the better choice imo. True/full voltage controls and it's cheaper. Also has a reasonably decent cooler on it.

Back