MSI GTX 780 Gaming $420 AR HOT! (Pay with Masterpass)

Well in my case, the game bundle wasn't available at the time I made the purchase (which is why masterpass worked in the first place)

The rep said "it wasn't part of the deal at the time, so you can't have it"

If you want to return your order and buy it again, that's fine. You'll get the games, but you won't get the $50 masterpass discount, because the system won't allow it on an item with "free gifts"

The 50 bucks off per card is worth more than what I'd get for the games (or right about the same w/o worrying about selling them), so I'm just going to let it go unless you get a vastly different response than I did.

I agree it's kind of crappy on their part though

I managed to get the game codes after a 20 minute chat. Looks like it depends on who you talk to and how you present your case. I said the game bundles was active when I ordered but would not go into my cart and later I bought the card without games thinking the promo was over. It did help though that my rep had no idea what the promo even was. Tell them it is an Nvidia promo and has nothing to do with egg, also just throw around the Iron Egg thing too, may work for you. Say you opened the card and can't return it now as well.

Pretty funny how hard a guy who claims to own two homes will work to try to scam free games out of Newegg. Very, very funny actually.

Who said anything about scamming? Someone else posted that Newegg offered them the games, so I asked if I was eligible. I got shot down, and I said I was letting it go.

Are you normally a massive douchebag for no reason?

Ah nevermind, I see you're still sore about getting called out on page one when you misspoke. I didn't place the name initially.

Good on ya.

Pretty funny how hard a guy who claims to own two homes will work to try to scam free games out of Newegg. Very, very funny actually.
I don't think it's trying to scam. This is an Nvidia promotion and should have nothing to do with another promotion that Newegg is trying to run for thier site.

You been here for 10 years and you think we are scamming newegg? They are giving the promo to people that ask, might as well try to get it if you have some spare time, it is free after all.

For shits and grins I tried chat and got shot down when they said it's either the games promo or the discount.

I had success by stating that I heard about the card on newegg through a forum and that I just read that newegg now has more nvidia gtx holiday promo codes hat I'd like to receive. I also stated that people on the forum had success getting the codes. I never mentioned neweggs masterpass

I waited for about 40 minutes in the chat que, but with a happy outcome. They are shipping me the promo codes. I told them I saw the nvidia holiday game bundle came with gtx 780 cards but it wasn't included in my order and he said he'd make an exception.

got my 3 games on the way now just like I knew I would.

"Promo codes cannot be combined with other promo codes, combo discounts or applied to items with free gifts. However, considering you are our valued customer, I can send you one copy of the free games to you for free as an exception."

[L]imey;1040477999 said:
Chat log cannondale?
I copied and pasted the most important part. after that he got confused because 2 games are on one voucher and called the holiday bundle and batman origins is on another voucher by itself. we finally got it all straight though.

Since I bought 2 cards, I gave it another shot. This rep asked me for my address, and then put me on hold again. Said she was waiting for a supervisor response. She asked if she could follow up by email, and I told her I would wait (because I think it's much easier for them to blow me off via email). She said "I will update you timely" and then closed the chat window anyway LOL.

So now I'm expecting an email saying they can't combine them blah blah blah, We'll see.

[L]imey;1040478031 said:
Since I bought 2 cards, I gave it another shot. This rep asked me for my address, and then put me on hold again. Said she was waiting for a supervisor response. She asked if she could follow up by email, and I told her I would wait (because I think it's much easier for them to blow me off via email). She said "I will update you timely" and then closed the chat window anyway LOL.

So now I'm expecting an email saying they can't combine them blah blah blah, We'll see.
I always have better luck with males than females at newegg.

Woo Hoo!

Email just came through with codes being shipped newegg 3 day :)

Second try was evidently the charm.

I feel like I should try my luck and go back and ask for another set since I did buy 2 cards, but that makes me feel sheepishly greedy :)

[L]imey;1040478199 said:
Woo Hoo!

Email just came through with codes being shipped newegg 3 day :)

Second try was evidently the charm.

I feel like I should try my luck and go back and ask for another set since I did buy 2 cards, but that makes me feel sheepishly greedy :)
yeah don't push your luck

BTW for those who don't care about the games and just want the discount, if you chat with them they will take the discount off the final order. At least so said the lady I talked to on the egg.

Hmm... might give them a call tomorrow to try my luck.
Does this fall under "shipping and claims" or "other"?

Well fml, I entered my address wrong in Masterpass and that screwed my delivery today (even though my CC worked with a wrong address too?). UPS will try again tomorrow. Ordered 12/12.. maybe have delivery 12/19. Good news below.

Last edited:
Success:

Nice Lady: Hi, my name is Nice Lady. How may I help you?
David: Good evening, just checking on that new NVidia promo for the free games. I bought my video card last week, but the games weren't part of the order.
David: I was seeing if they could be added to my order for the purchase of the GTX770.
Nice Lady: Thank you for providing me with that information. I will be more than happy to assist you, David. May I please place you on hold for a moment while I look into this?
David: sure, thanks
Nice Lady: Thank you for waiting.
Nice Lady: Please kindly understand that all promotional items are limited offered and they are offered while supplies last. If a gift item is available, it will be added to your order when you add the main item to your shopping cart.
Nice Lady: The free item was out of stock when your order was placed so it was not added to your order.

David: Ok. So they can't be added once stock comes in? If so, I understand.
Nice Lady: I am sorry but it can only be added to order when it is in stock.
David: ok
David: thanks for checking
Nice Lady: You are welcome.

(45 seconds where I wait for her to give me the "can i help you with anything else")

Nice Lady: Please allow me one moment to see whether we can do something for you.
Nice Lady: Thank you for waiting.
Nice Lady: I just checked with my supervisor.
Nice Lady: In this case, we would like to make an exception to send you the 2 games as courtesy.

David: wow, thanks!
Nice Lady: They are 00-995-181 and 00-995-179.
Nice Lady: May I know your current shipping address?

David: xxxxxxxxx
Nice Lady: I have set up an order # xxxxxxx to send you the items. It will be processed in 1-2 business days.
David: great, thanks again, have a good evening
Nice Lady: Thank you.
Nice Lady: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

David: nope
Nice Lady: Thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you. Before we end our chat, I want to invite you to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey. To take the survey, all you need to do is click the "End session" at the top of the chat window. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for contacting Newegg. I hope you have an eggcellent day!

Well I'm glad I got 2 free games, but just noticed batman isn't included bc it has a seperate promotion. Doh..oh well

So my lightnings came tonight.... They are monsters but the top card throttles in sli even at stock speeds... So now I'm not sure what to do.... Keep one and return the other.... Try to put an aio cooler on the top card, and try sli again to see temps on the top card.... Send both back and look at alternatives... I am bummed out lol

[L]imey;1040479010 said:
So my lightnings came tonight.... They are monsters but the top card throttles in sli even at stock speeds... So now I'm not sure what to do.... Keep one and return the other.... Try to put an aio cooler on the top card, and try sli again to see temps on the top card.... Send both back and look at alternatives... I am bummed out lol

Do you have an empty PCI slow between the two cards to allow for some airflow? If you do adding some direct airflow onto the two cards will reduce the amount of heat the top card is taking in from the bottom card. Does your case have a side/door fan?

If you can't mount a fan on the side of the case but there is a fan slot using a PCI slot fan might help.

If your cards are stacked without a space between there is not much you can do.

Well fml, I entered my address wrong in Masterpass and that screwed my delivery today (even though my CC worked with a wrong address too?). UPS will try again tomorrow. Ordered 12/12.. maybe have delivery 12/19. Good news below.

I did the exact same thing! Typed in the wrong zip code putting 17 instead of 71 at the end. The FedEx lady that called said it would take an extra day since it's on the wrong truck, but right at 5pm before I left work it showed up :D

Glad everyone is getting their games on the 1st or 2nd try! Love Newegg CS.

I installed my new card last night., didn't get too much time to play around with it but, it works!

I asked CS about the games just for the hell of it and NE is going to send me the Batman Game...

Newegg: Thank you very much for holding. Please kindly note that all our promotions last till supply as our marketing team was only offered limited qty and promotion funds. The games were not added to order, as we no longer have stock when order was placed.

ME: But wouldn't the Iron egg guaranty let you send me the games when they are in stock?

Newegg: Please kindly note that the Iron Egg price match is only offered for price match if price drop after order is placed. It is not offered for free games.

Newegg: However, after reviewing your account, as you have been a long time customer, I am willing to personally send you game GIFT NVIDIA BATMAN ARKHAM ORIGINS for courtesy.

Never hurts to ask...

Do you have an empty PCI slow between the two cards to allow for some airflow? If you do adding some direct airflow onto the two cards will reduce the amount of heat the top card is taking in from the bottom card. Does your case have a side/door fan?

If you can't mount a fan on the side of the case but there is a fan slot using a PCI slot fan might help.

If your cards are stacked without a space between there is not much you can do.

There is one slot gap, but it's largely filled by the reactor on the back of the bottom card, so it ends up touching or nearly touching the fan shroud on the top card.

I do have a 220mm fan on the side panel of the case, but even ramped up to full it didn't stop the top card from throttling down below 1000mhz when letting valley run for a while.

I took one of the cards out and was just seeing how the other one ran on its own. It makes a very strange set of noises with certain graphical loads. Like it was fine with heaven running, but when you exit out there's a credits screen, and the card was kind of squealing and one set of lights on the back was dancing a little bit. Never seen anything like it. Need to put the other card in by itself and see if it has similar behavior.

Either way, it doesn't seem like running both cards is going to be an option without at least some form of water cooling.

[L]imey;1040479675 said:
There is one slot gap, but it's largely filled by the reactor on the back of the bottom card, so it ends up touching or nearly touching the fan shroud on the top card.

I do have a 220mm fan on the side panel of the case, but even ramped up to full it didn't stop the top card from throttling down below 1000mhz when letting valley run for a while.

I took one of the cards out and was just seeing how the other one ran on its own. It makes a very strange set of noises with certain graphical loads. Like it was fine with heaven running, but when you exit out there's a credits screen, and the card was kind of squealing and one set of lights on the back was dancing a little bit. Never seen anything like it. Need to put the other card in by itself and see if it has similar behavior.

Either way, it doesn't seem like running both cards is going to be an option without at least some form of water cooling.

You could remove the reactor to allow for a bit more airflow is all else fails.

Do you already have a custom loop? Buying a block and some fittings would not be too bad if you do (about ~$300). Buying and building a custom loop to include 2x 780 lightnings is going to run $600-700 (GPU Blocks will be $270 alone) and IMHO not worth it to fix this issue.

Like I mentioned you could try using a PCI slot fan to exhaust the air outside the case.

Returning one of the lightnings and buying a reference 780 is an option but it would negate the benefits of the Lightning as SLI is limited by the speed of the slowest card in the pair/set. A reference OC model (EVGA SC Ref) would offer a better SLI benefit over a standard reference & the lightning but again the OC ability of the lightning will be negated by the slower card.

Here is a local, cheap slot cooler

Last edited:
My main issue with water cooling is voiding the warranty on a brand new card.

I would probably attach an aio to one or both cards rather than build a custom loop.

Seems like returning both cards is my most logical choice And either moving to a ti or getting 2 reference cards.... Shame because the lightning is sexy

Mentioned that I purchased the card on Dec10, with the promotion running on the frontpage.
Success! Got three games :)

power target only goes to 103% on my gaming card. I thought even the reference 780 cards offered 106%.

and mine does not oc all that great either. cant even do 1163 at stock voltage and I really dont wont to raise the voltage.

Single card one of mine will do like 1340 on the stock bios with a few more mv. Sli is limited to about 1200. I am pleased with the extra few bucks the lightning cost me

oh well. sad thing is even my 2500k at 4.4 cant keep up with the 780 in some cases. its ridiculous how much hardware has be thrown at some of these games.

oh well. sad thing is even my 2500k at 4.4 cant keep up with the 780 in some cases. its ridiculous how much hardware has be thrown at some of these games.

In what games? Haven't noticed that with my gtx 780 oc'd to 1176 core mhz and 2500k at 4.5ghz

Back