MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
The MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G video card is on the test bench at Overclockers Club today. What are the benefits of buying a GTX 1080 from a company like MSI? That signature red and black Twin Frozr VI cooler is definitely one.

Using large Torx 2.0 fans with dispersion blade technology on the ball bearing fans, there is an increase in airflow of 22% over traditional fan blade designs. Couple that with the large heat sink with 6mm and 8mm direct contact heat pipes and you get an excellent cooling design that keeps temperatures in check, even under a heavy 3D load. Both the GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G and GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G showed significant cooling performance gains over the Founders Edition cooling solution, with much less noise. There is no doubt that MSI's Twin Frozr VI technology is a step forward in cooling performance that shows tangible results.

Yep, these cards (1080 and 1070) also topped out at 2,100MHz ± 50Mhz. When was the last time Nvidia had a series of reference AND AiB cards where nearly all of them seemed to peak within about 2% of the same average max clock?

Nice card but they are giving us the finger with that price. It's $40 to $70 too expensive depending on how you look at it.

The RGB lighting is really crap on this. You can only adjust the color of a small area on the side of the card while the rest of the card glows red? :(

And for the selling price of $899.00 this can be yours. Man I can't wait till the inventories and competition catch up.

Damn $720 is pretty crazy when the msrp was $599?

Bought my MSI Gaming GTX 970's for the $330 msrp from Newegg within a month of launch. What's the pricing on the MSI 1070s gonna be?

This Founders BS seems to have really jacked prices up. Guess as long as people are willing to pay and they're meeting sales goals it doesn't matter.

I can still wait a while longer until prices come down. Ill pay $600 max for a card nothing more. Really like MSI, but I'm not paying that premium. My 780 can hold out a little while longer.

I can still wait a while longer until prices come down. Ill pay $600 max for a card nothing more. Really like MSI, but I'm not paying that premium. My 780 can hold out a little while longer.

In the same boat and of the same opinion, odds are though even after 6 months it won't get down to the MSRP due to the fact it's a custom board with custom Twin Frozr3 cooling. At the best you might see this card drop to 639 with a few free games thrown in down the line once people start setting their sights on the Ti version.

I love MSI as well, and I think the card looks/performs great, but it's not worth an extra 70 dollars IMO. I went from only wanting the MSI (and willing to wait) to not even considering them at all. Now I have my sights set on an EVGA or Gigabyte 1070 because that's all I really need to game at 1440p.

In the same boat and of the same opinion, odds are though even after 6 months it won't get down to the MSRP due to the fact it's a custom board with custom Twin Frozr3 cooling. At the best you might see this card drop to 639 with a few free games thrown in down the line once people start setting their sights on the Ti version.

I love MSI as well, and I think the card looks/performs great, but it's not worth an extra 70 dollars IMO. I went from only wanting the MSI (and willing to wait) to not even considering them at all. Now I have my sights set on an EVGA or Gigabyte 1070 because that's all I really need to game at 1440p.

Ya, you and I have exchanged couple messages before about our "boat" lol. If the card comes with a game I actually want I can accept $640ish. But we shall see. There only thing that will tickle my fancy paying over $600 is if they release a Ti model and it spanks a vanilla 1080's booty.

Ya, you and I have exchanged couple messages before about our "boat" lol. If the card comes with a game I actually want I can accept $640ish. But we shall see. There only thing that will tickle my fancy paying over $600 is if they release a Ti model and it spanks a vanilla 1080's booty.

:)

I was super set on the 1080 before I saw the 1070 benches. Like many other fellow nerds here I'd love a big daddy Ti... the 1070 will hold me just fine at 1440p for at least a year or more, I'd rather defer the 300 dollar savings I get now buying a 1070 and apply that towards a Ti. Even though my 970m is a little hoss... I'm prepared to be blown away again with desktop gpu

Wow. If my life depended on it I'd rather spend a week on penicillin with the clap then pay those prices for a non Titan graphics card.

And I'm allergic to penicillin.

:)

I was super set on the 1080 before I saw the 1070 benches. Like many other fellow nerds here I'd love a big daddy Ti... the 1070 will hold me just fine at 1440p for at least a year or more, I'd rather defer the 300 dollar savings I get now buying a 1070 and apply that towards a Ti. Even though my 970m is a little hoss... I'm prepared to be blown away again with desktop gpu

I ordered a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming yesterday. I decided I'd get the EVGA ACX 2.0, ASUS Strix OC, MSI Gaming X or Gigabyte G1 whichever was cheapest locally. The Gigabyte was cheapest (and actually clocked higher than the others except the ASUS) so my order went in. Who knows when it will show up, but hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. I think the GTX 1070 will last me until there is a good option for a single-card 4K solution. I'm not upgrading my monitors until that's a serious option.

P.S. MSI's prices are totally out of whack, at least where I live. The equivalent MSI card to the one I bought would be $100 more.

Last edited:
Just got a package in the mail yeehaw!

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

Last edited:
That's a damn nice card. Let us know how it OCs.

Thanks! I love it so far. Right off the bat I set it to +150/+400 and loaded up Doom. After a couple hours of multiplayer team DM the boost had settled in at a solid 2101. I'll certainly do some benches and other more demanding games to slowly see how far I can push it but I am happy to get to 2.1 Ghz and it is SILENT. Even quieter than the 980 Ti, so I'm thrilled about that!

Reactions: DF-1
like this
I ordered a Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming yesterday. I decided I'd get the EVGA ACX 2.0, ASUS Strix OC, MSI Gaming X or Gigabyte G1 whichever was cheapest locally. The Gigabyte was cheapest (and actually clocked higher than the others except the ASUS) so my order went in. Who knows when it will show up, but hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. I think the GTX 1070 will last me until there is a good option for a single-card 4K solution. I'm not upgrading my monitors until that's a serious option.

P.S. MSI's prices are totally out of whack, at least where I live. The equivalent MSI card to the one I bought would be $100 more.

Just placed an order for the same thing tonight (Amazon Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1) Was going to wait, but after doing the math, it's only 7 dollars net more expensive than going with Newegg. I paid 35 dollars tax with amazon, but that's reduced thanks to 3% cashback amazon card and free prime shipping. At least I'm in the queue and can stop checking around every day for in stock cards. Not in a mega rush anyways.

Should hold me nicely for 1440p till the 1080Ti is released and excitement/prices die down in the future.

Just placed an order for the same thing tonight (Amazon Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1) Was going to wait, but after doing the math, it's only 7 dollars net more expensive than going with Newegg. I paid 35 dollars tax with amazon, but that's reduced thanks to 3% cashback amazon card and free prime shipping. At least I'm in the queue and can stop checking around every day for in stock cards. Not in a mega rush anyways.

Should hold me nicely for 1440p till the 1080Ti is released and excitement/prices die down in the future.

It certainly will hold you. I just hope you get it sooner rather than later I know someone who ordered a 1080 FTW and still no word on when it ships. He even called amazon and they don't know when stock is coming in.

Well I won't be TOO upset if it takes another week or two or three, been working a lot 6 days a week, yay OT. And soon to take delivery of a new car, so that will keep me occupied and distracted for a while. MMM 2017 Volt :)

I won't really start to get worried or antsy till the end of the month for my order. Mostly glad I have my name in the hat/order queue for one so I don't have to keep bouncing all over nowinstock.net

Back