MSI GeForce GTX 960 GAMING Overclocking Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
MSI GeForce GTX 960 GAMING Overclocking Review - We push the new MSI GeForce GTX 960 GAMING video card to its limits of performance by overclocking to its limits. This NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 GPU based video card has a lot of potential for hardware enthusiasts and gamers wanting more performance. We compare it with other overclocked cards to see if the GTX 960 can keep up.

Good stuff. Really liking where the 960 is wedging itself. I know people will hate..but that is what haters do.

Our only conclusion from this is that with GameWorks features enabled R9 285 struggles more than GTX 960 does

No surprise there, it's nVidia's black box.

It's a pretty good overclock, I expected there to be more headroom though due to the nice low TDP. I'm guessing since it's not a thermal limitation that an OEM could perhaps find a way to squeeze a little more out of this if they wanted to.

Curious to see what Asus may pull off with their ROG line.

Seems like a good card, honestly used to mess around with MSI stuff until the defect rates jacked up and in a store every 3rd board was bad, other than that never had an issue with them, and they seem to be heading in a real good direction, especially with their gaming brand.

As for the 960 specifically I think its a good card, but would like to see a 4Gb variant similar to the 760 models they released, I know some people take issue and I really don't want to debate whether the GPU can handle it or whether it gets used fully and to what cost in FPS you pay for going over a certain usage threshold, believe me heard it all and just don't care, I see the numbers and more than understand how it works and in most cases there are people always willing to pay the toll for what they want. TBH 2GB is low even for 1080p gaming as in many games with mods I can oversaturate 2GB rather quickly, but for use in the low end and for lower gaming situations its def a deal over other cards I would more say this card replaces the 650 Ti Boost rather than the 660 for the price point per power. Can't wait to see a 960 Ti if it is in the marketing plans.

That the North American AIBs are not talking about a 4GB 960 could be an indication that the base 960 Ti is to have 4GB. If it does, then there really wouldn't be any point to a 4GB 960.

Good overclocker.just a bit better than it's big brother the 960ti. now if we could get that extra 1.5GB of ram like it's big bro. this would really be an [H] Gold winning card.
#anotherweekanother960article #nothingwrongwiththatbut.. #thiswillprobablygetdeleted #saysomething
#notthreadcrapping

On the conclusion page you have a power consumption chart. Can I suggest you clarify that to say whether it is the power consumption of the card or the whole system?

On the conclusion page you have a power consumption chart. Can I suggest you clarify that to say whether it is the power consumption of the card or the whole system?
They always measure the system from the wall.

What a great little card. I'm always fascinated when the "shortcomings" of a card are heralded as it's doom, but it does well anyway (Remember the 9600? Same complaints re bus, same outcome). It is VERY tempting to upgrade the GTX660 in my HTPC to a 960.

Are you guys planning on doing a 960 SLI article? I'd be interested to see if the vram becomes an issue there.

"Therefore, as you can see at 99.5% there is no room to add any voltage at all"

If you had the power limit raised to 108% then why was it not going over 100%? With my 970 and 980 power limit raised, GPUZ always shows it going well over 100% when overclocked. :confused:

"Here at 1920x1080 with 4X MSAA enabled the game is not playable with the card at its out-of-box frequencies. However, overclocking it has pushed performance in this game above 60 FPS"

Went from 57 to 65.

57 avg FPS is "unplayable". Really? :rolleyes: Great work as always, that just really stuck in my craw.

Perhaps someone who plays BF4 can comment why 57FPS isn't playable? What am I missing there?

57 isn't bad, but for MP shooters you tend to want to run it at 60 (or 120, or 144) to avoid screen tearing. 60 FPS is pretty smooth to me. Getting rid of jaggies + screen tearing + having smooth gameplay is essential for many that play online shooters.

Just a reply to Brent's overclocking review and why no R9-280 as I own a Sapphire Dual X 3L card with a default voltage of VDDC 1256 and thing will clock higher then that 285 in your review with just the slide set to 20% ...
I have pushed the card to 1175Mhz like that without touching the voltage and the ram with also push 6Ghz as I wonder what the bigger memory buffer would offer ?

Back