MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G Vs. 1070 Gaming 8G....

Sithtiger

Weaksauce
Well I just ordered the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G, or rather that's what I thought I ordered when in fact I ordered the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming 8G. It looks like the differences are the Gaming X has a higher clock and boost clock speeds compared to the Gaming X. This shouldn't be a big deal right? I mean I should be able to match those speeds manually with afterburner, shouldn't I?

I would have actually spent the extra $20 for the Gaming X, but I didn't even realize there was a non-x version. I would have cancelled it, but it's already being packaged for shipping at Newegg, so it's too late. Sure I can send it back, but then I'd have to pay probably about close to $20 to get it there safely and I think it's more trouble than it's worth unless you don't think it can O/C to the Gaming X model. It's just such a big deal and expensive to send that back and then I have to wait until Newegg refunds my money back and then I can order the Gaming X 8G....whenever it gets in stock that is. I got so lucky yesterday. I was watching the Nowinstock price tracker site and saw Newegg had the 1070 Gaming 8G and it was completely sold out in less than 10 minutes, so I think it's gonna be a while. If I can just O/C the card to the same speeds of the Gaming X 8G, then I'm good.....that's all I want.

Just hoping someone can tell me if I can do that, but then I bet it has to do with being lucky and getting a good binned chip....isn't that right?

Overclocking is always a crapshoot. You are going to have to tell us how high it clocks and if it can match the X. My GUESS is probably.

It's just lightly pre-overclocked. Shouldn't be a big deal. If you want to return it, don't open the shipping box, bring it back to ups and tell them you are refusing the package. There won't be a shipping charge and it will be return to newegg.

There likely isn't a difference, unless Nvidia and friends cherry-picked every review board (which is fully possible) most of the GPUs seem to be overclocking to about the same level.

Well I'm not sure but I think Newegg screwed up. MSI doesn't have a GTX 1070 Gaming 8G card listed. They have a GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G, but that's it and I can find no record anywhere and I can't find it at Amazon or even Google and I can't find that it ever existed at all. I'll know for sure tomorrow, though, because it comes tomorrow, so I'll find out for sure.

I ordered the same card. It's not a screw up. It's a version that only Newegg has right now. It appears to be the same card with lower clocks (and the PCI bracket thingy on mine is silver, not black).

Ordered one myself. All these cards seem to overclock about the same anyway. This should tide me over until the Ti drops.

<EDIT>
Hah! And right after I post this, the Gaming X comes into stock. I grabbed one of those ALSO. Not sure which one I'll cancel. I could SLI them, but I don't think enough games really support it to make it worth it.

Last edited:
They were both in stock at newegg when i was on. Bought the gaming myself in the interest of saving the $20. I was one that thought they might hold out for an MSRP card, but who knows when it will come. I had been waiting on the $420 EVGA, higher than i liked, but I got tired of waiting. They chip away at ya!

TLDR version: I had the option of either, chose the cheaper, if that makes you feel any better.

MSI GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G OC 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ATX Video Card - Newegg.com

In stock at Newegg starting at $429 for the Armor, then $439 for the Gamer, then $459 for the Gamer X etc etc etc

What happened to $379? Sheesh. I'm going to try to wait this out a little. "Try". I usually prefer EVGA anyway but these MSI twinfrozr cards seem just as good.

edit - oh snap, Microcenter has them in stock in Dallas too. But $469 for the Gamer X? Yikes. Plus tax. But local options do make it tempting, if I find a bag of cash laying around or something.

I wish I could find a $300 980 TI somewhere and just call it a day. $300 should be my top end limit, when did I start looking at $430+ ? Crazy.

Last edited:
You're correct. I just got mine today as well. It's weird that it's not on the MSI site. I haven't opened it yet, but it has the exact same specs as the Gaming X. I believe the only difference is the X is preclocked with these set O/C settings you can choose from. I think this card should be able to clock just as high as the X. It's just that you just need to set the profiles up yourself, which is easy. I'm just a little worried that maybe the made this and this discontinued it because of some sort of problem, or maybe this is the very first gen and predates the X. Don't know, don't care as long as it does the same thing and have no problems.

I ordered the same card. It's not a screw up. It's a version that only Newegg has right now. It appears to be the same card with lower clocks (and the PCI bracket thingy on mine is silver, not black).

Got mine in today, well Saturday. Guess I can finish up Fallout 4 at max. :) Love when I get stuff in one day from newegg. NJ->CT. Especially a video card on a Saturday.

The one thing i had noticed is that the 8G non X version doesn't specifically say it has display port 1.4, while all the other MSI card do. It very well may, however it's the only one that doesn't specifically state it across all retailers that i have noticed.. so unless i didn't care about that, i would find out for sure.

I was able to O/C my card faster than the first review of the GTX 1070 Gaming X Review on Youtube. I'm just gonna paste what I said in the Pros and Cons review I posted in Newegg.

Pros:
Clocks pretty high and is very fast.
I was able to O/C my card faster than the First MSI GTX Gaming X 8G review on Youtube by Awesomesauce Network.
Their Firestrike Extreme Graphics test O/Ced was 9386 and my O/Ced Graphics score was 9514, which means the non-X Gaming 8G can O/C just as high or higher than the Gaming X 8G itself.
They are both the same card.

Cons:
When using MSI Gaming App using the O/C setting, the Firestrike benchmark would crash because it got too hot and that's with MSI's own preclocked O/C setting. No worries though because that can be fixed if don't tell the Gaming App to override MSI Afterburner Fan Control. After I set a custom Fan control in Afterburner, it no longer crashed. Alternatively, you can avoid this by not using the MSI Gaming App's preoverclocked setting. You can still O/C with Afterburner, you just need to use the custom fan control to set the fan to turn on around 45C. Don't worry, the noise level is non existant, even when the fan speed gets up to 55%.

This is the only con, which I think will likely be fixed with a driver update.

Other Thoughts:
I would highly recommend this card and I believe this problem most likely affects a lot of 1070's, not just MSI. The FE cards were rumored to have some fan control issues where they would just spin up fast spontaneously and Nvidia said they have fixed this with an upcoming driver update. I don't know if they have released a new driver yet, but this update might fix this issue as well. Either way, I believe it's fixable and you can just use the workaround right now. Just don't check the box in MSI Gaming App where it tells you it will override Afterburner's Fan Control. Leave this unchecked and just don't use the MSI Gaming App for O/Cing for now. Use Afterburner if you want to O/C.

I would give this card a 4.5 out of 5 because of this small issue, but I believe they will fix this soon and assuming they do, my rating would change to a 5 out of 5 eggs!

After ordering both a regular Gaming, and a Gaming X, I decided to cancel the regular Gaming, and keep the Gaming X. It was only a $20 difference, and I was mostly considering re-sale value. Eventually everyone will know of the Gaming X...and the newegg special "Gaming" may fade into obscurity. So, $20 extra for some extra peace of mind later. The funny part is that I effectively *never* sell my old parts...I just transfer them down the line to other PCs in the house, or give them to family or friends...Oh well.

After ordering both a regular Gaming, and a Gaming X, I decided to cancel the regular Gaming, and keep the Gaming X. It was only a $20 difference, and I was mostly considering re-sale value. Eventually everyone will know of the Gaming X...and the newegg special "Gaming" may fade into obscurity. So, $20 extra for some extra peace of mind later. The funny part is that I effectively *never* sell my old parts...I just transfer them down the line to other PCs in the house, or give them to family or friends...Oh well.

Well after doing some testing my non Gaming X 1070 has outscored every review I've seen on YouTube or read online. That is the Firestrike bench Extreme O/Ced. Maybe I got lucky and good binned chip. My only complaint is the MSI Gaming App with the O/C mode and run a bench like Firestrike or any other, it crashes. That's with the just the Gaming App O/C mode and no other added O/C, but it I use Afterburner without using the Gaming App with a much higher O/C and set a custom fan profile, it's fine. I think the problem is something to do with the fans not spinning up until 60C. It needs too spin up sooner and at a cooler temp and I've done that within Afterburner and even though I have the fan speed set up to 65%, when the temp gets up to 60C, it's still quiet as a mouse, but the difference is I set the fans to spin up at 45C at 40% and that was the problem. I think this might be a driver issue, not sure. At any rate, my card runs perfectly aside from that and that's an easy work around with a click on the mouse

Back