MSI-GE70 Video Card Upgrade - Looking for advice

McRackin

Limp Gawd
Hi all - I have a GE70 laptop that's 2 years old now. I'm looking to find the best video card upgrade I can find for $200-300. It currently has a Geforce GTX 765M in it.

You can upgrade an onboard mobile GPU?

Yup. some manufacturers allow the mGPU swap/upgrade.. just like this pic:

eurocom_980m_card-100585858-large.jpg

I don't know about that specific MSI model can support but I think the fastest Mobile GPU is the GTX 980 mobile, yes a full GTX 980 1:1 performance like the desktop part are available for laptops... but IDK if its available yet (Laptop GPU isn't my market exactly)... if not then the GTX 980M.

If this does indeed take an mxm card there's no guarantee of compatibility. Your other option would be a diy external gpu or a solution thats similar. I know msi had some dock of some sort but I'm unsure if the ge-70 is a compatible model.

Last edited:
Your best bet for price and performance would be a 970M from Eurocom..They sell the bare MXM cards that should work since your lappy is just a Clevo rebadge but good luck getting anything for ~$300...If you were to sell your current card on eBay you would be able to fetch a 970M for $300~$500 outta pocket...:eek:

Back