MSI GE60 Can Barely Run League?

x y u

Limp Gawd
Hi, I recently picked up an MSI GE60 2PL apache notebook.

Specs Here

When I play games I get very low FPS. Even playing League of legends on low settings the frames skip and drop to 5 and back up to 30. I don't understand how a GTX850M can't handle a game like league.

I have made sure that the integrated graphics is not being used by going to nvidia control panel and selecting "high performance Nvidia Processor" under global settings.
uMQ1bbV

The light on the power LED is orange which I assume means high performance mode. Is this computer really not powerful enough to handle a game like League of legends? Am I missing something?

Run GPU-Z and have it open while you play a bit of League of Legends. It has a sensor tab so you make sure it's actually running on the 850m instead of the integrated graphics.

850m GTX is more than enough to run that game at 60 fps.

Is it plugged in or on battery? I ask because if it's not plugged in the gpu will throttle so you don't drain your battery too quickly and risk damaging it

The MSI software sucks, my GT70 wanted to always run on IGP unless I disable completely when running most games.

Hey XYU,

Sorry to hear you are having some issues with our GE60 2PL. Hopefully i can be of some assistance.

Like what the others have said, go ahead and disable the integrated graphics and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, go ahead and contact me or call our customer support to see if we can isolate the problem for you.

Do you have anything else running in the background? What does your task manager read when you are running LoL. Either something is throttling you or a configuration is not set up properly...

Just to rule out that the global settings you set isn't being followed for some reason -- when launching the game, try right clicking the shortcut --> "Run with Graphics Processor" --> Pick the nvidia one.

Hi Thanks for the replies. I have taken out the battery and tried it with only the plug in. Still the same problem.

My problem with right clicking and running it with the GTX is the way League starts. I cannot start it directly from the exe because I am on the garena LoL so it must be launched through Garena in order to sign in.

Also I have heard that disabling the integraded graphics is a bad idea because it might cause the laptop to not boot at all since PCI-E lanes that the GTX850M is attached to in the Notebook run through the IGPU.

Just to make sure i'm doing it right, how do I disable the integrated graphics safely?

Go to your nvidia properties on the desktop, right click, blah blah blah

You need to set the profile for lol.exe to run ONLY on that 850m. It wont DISABLE the intergrated, but it makes sure lol.exe runs specifically on 850m.

Do this for any other game having the same problem as well.

Right click / Nvidia Control Panel / Manage 3D Settings / Program Settings Tab / Select your program than in there you can tell it which GPU it prefers

The MSI software sucks, my GT70 wanted to always run on IGP unless I disable completely when running most games.

You can't disable optimus on your machine, it will simply be telling the software to add titles to its list.

You can add the games .EXE to the drivers in the control panel and advise it uses the dedicated chip.

Back