MSI Gaming 6G 980TI Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
The MSI Gaming 6G 980TI video card is on the test bench at Real Hardware Reviews today. If you are GOU shopping, this review will be of interest to you.

For many years now MSI has been known and respected for their custom heatsink and fan designs. Specifically their Twin FROZR designs have cooled many an enthusiasts’ overclocked video card over the years, and now the latest version, aptly called the Twin Frozr V, intends to continue this enviable tradition. However, this new generation has a few tricks up its sleeve to make the MSI Gaming 6G 980TI even more enticing to consumers.

I had an MSI 980 Ti Gaming. It was quite an underwhelming card and I do not recommend it. The heatsink is not adequate to keep the card cool and 70% fan speeds are common place resulting in high fan noise.

My review lol.

^I've had the opposite experience as I have them in SLI and don't see temps above 75c.

I had an MSI 980 Ti Gaming. It was quite an underwhelming card and I do not recommend it. The heatsink is not adequate to keep the card cool and 70% fan speeds are common place resulting in high fan noise.

My review lol.

I have another MSI GTX 980 Ti 6g gaming coming on Wednesday and hopefully this card will sit at idle no more than 50c . I dont understand why no review mentions that if the cards sits on idle at 0% fan and is passively cooled the temps eventually just go to 60c-65c
on the desktop top doing absolutely nothing

All i know is my temps in my case with 5 couger fans 120mm and my cpu RAD kraken seem to exhaust alot more heat and i mean ALOT .

As an example my MSI GTX 980 gaming idles at 48c primary card and second card at 46c at 2560x1440 144hz "Acer XB270HU main monitor" and it stays there!

So either i got a dud or people on here keep insisting saying it is NORMAL , personally i think its not normal.

So is this the one to get or are there better non reference cards still on the horizon?

wondering how this stacks up to the kingpin or classified when not going for a LN2 overclock

^I've had the opposite experience as I have them in SLI and don't see temps above 75c.
Yep opposite experience for me too. They did cheap out and use the same cooler from the 970/980 cards but it was really super overkill on those cards anyway.

Yep opposite experience for me too. They did cheap out and use the same cooler from the 970/980 cards but it was really super overkill on those cards anyway.

so what are your passive temps in SLI ? at idle or the doing nothing on the desktop?
What do they stay at?

OIC
well what are you passive idle temps? no fan and do they go up or stay idle at a certain temp until gaming starts
It depends on time of day and whether the AC is on but idle is typically about 30-31 at night and 32-34 during the day. Now my case has great airflow for the gpu so for most other people it will be at least a couple degrees higher. And I think around 60 is when the fans come on.

OIC
well what are you passive idle temps? no fan and do they go up or stay idle at a certain temp until gaming starts

I have one too and carefully observed the temps over time. I have mine in a Corsair Air 540, so plenty of airflow, and use a dual-monitor setup so the cards naturally idle slightly higher.

0% fan: idle 40-45c
30% fan: idle 30-35c

At default fan profile the fan kicks in at 60c exactly, whether you're gaming or not. With a custom fan curve you can very, very easily keep temps in check, at max fan speed which isn't really audible in my opinion (at least not over my case fans) temps never go over 75c at 1450MHz boost clock.

I have one too and carefully observed the temps over time. I have mine in a Corsair Air 540, so plenty of airflow, and use a dual-monitor setup so the cards naturally idle slightly higher.

At default fan profile the fan kicks in at 60c exactly, whether you're gaming or not. With a custom fan curve you can very, very easily keep temps in check, at max fan speed which isn't really audible in my opinion (at least not over my case fans) temps never go over 75c at 1450MHz boost clock.
Actually the Air 540 is not that great for gpu temps regardless of how the case was marketed. A gpu will run probably 5-7 degrees warmer than most typical gaming cases.

That is really good, i have a corsair 760t and i must have a defective card or a warped card or heatsink. It does not make any sense to me because i reapplied thermal paste good stuff and still wants to make its way up to 58c at idle . What it does is it will go up 1 degree C every min until it hits 57-59c and thats just websurfing , no movies or anything. My load temps stay at 75-82c when fans kick on during gaming..
No idea , either way i am trying to figure this one out and should by wedsnday when i get a different card. In the mean time i will wait

Actually the Air 540 is not that great for gpu temps regardless of how the case was marketed. A gpu will run probably 5-7 degrees warmer than most typical gaming cases.

I mean, I didn't buy it due to marketing. I read a bunch of reviews and they all had it placed within the top tier cases in terms of GPU/CPU temps, including [H].

I mean, I didn't buy it due to marketing. I read a bunch of reviews and they all had it placed within the top tier cases in terms of GPU/CPU temps, including [H].
I am just saying that the case is marketed as having great airflow when in reality it does not for a single gpu.

Many sites seem to claim almost every gaming case does great in all their reviews just for the simple fact that it "passes". Still look right at the Hardocp Air 540 review and the gpu is at 81 C while the same gpu in the Phanteks Evolv ATX case is only at 71 C. And the Phanteks case is not even really an open case on top or in front. Now for multi gpus the 540 is great though.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...s_air_540_computer_case_review/6#.Va2OrOJVhBd

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...v_atx_mid_tower_chassis_review/6#.Va2QueJVhBc

And I had looked at the Bit-Tech.com case reviews before getting my case and the Air 540 was 5 C worse on the gpu than even my case there.

I am just saying that the case is marketed as having great airflow when in reality it does not for a single gpu.

Many sites seem to claim almost every gaming case does great in all their reviews just for the simple fact that it "passes". Still look right at the Hardocp Air 540 review and the gpu is at 81 C while the same gpu in the Phanteks Evolv ATX case is only at 71 C. And the Phanteks case is not even really an open case on top or in front. Now for multi gpus the 540 is great though.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013...s_air_540_computer_case_review/6#.Va2OrOJVhBd

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015...v_atx_mid_tower_chassis_review/6#.Va2QueJVhBc

And I had looked at the Bit-Tech.com case reviews before getting my case and the Air 540 was 5 C worse on the gpu than even my case there.

Even if I agree with you in the most part, the [H] Review have different Test System so I don't even would try to compare a system with a different Air CPU cooler which can make a huge difference.

Air 540 its still one of the best Cases for GPU cooling in the market and definitively your 500R its also one of them, but as always it depend entirely in the fan configuration Personally I hate Corsair AF-120/140 Fans as Intake with dust filter as the airflow its poor really with those fans.. so even worst cases with a good configuration of fans can have a Great cooling performance for any GPU configuration.

So is this the one to get or are there better non reference cards still on the horizon?

I was hoping someone could answer this question too. Its either this card or the evga, which seems to be quieter, but hotter.

Mine idles at 33c.
I have not seen it above 63c while gaming, although I did not really put any pressure on it (Arma 3 was the most demanding game and it's more cpu heavy). However it's clocked to 1504mhz.
I'm very pleased with mine. It's a monster card.
I previously had Asus 670 DCII and I find MSI 989Ti Gaming better when it comes to temperature and noise.
I'm using Thermaltake Level 10 case.

Mine idles at 33c.
I have not seen it above 63c while gaming, although I did not really put any pressure on it (Arma 3 was the most demanding game and it's more cpu heavy). However it's clocked to 1504mhz.
I'm very pleased with mine. It's a monster card.
I previously had Asus 670 DCII and I find MSI 989Ti Gaming better when it comes to temperature and noise.
I'm using Thermaltake Level 10 case.
If you are at 63 C then you either have the fans cranked or playing at 1080 with vsync and not stressing the gpu at all.

1080p without vsync. Everything is default except that it's overclocked to 1504mhz.
My 4k JS9000 will arrive on friday so the card will be put to good use.
But from what I've read people don't seem to go over 70c in heavy gaming.
It also depends a lot on your case and airflow. You can't have hot air blowing on the card and expect it to be cool. My case is quite good when it comes to airflow.

1080p without vsync. Everything is default except that it's overclocked to 1504mhz.
My 4k JS9000 will arrive on friday so the card will be put to good use.
But from what I've read people don't seem to go over 70c in heavy gaming.
It also depends a lot on your case and airflow. You can't have hot air blowing on the card and expect it to be cool. My case is quite good when it comes to airflow.
I dont know where you have been reading but every single person here goes well over 70 during heavy gaming. Mid to upper 70s is the norm for this card on auto fan settings even at out of the box clocks. Even in the review this thread is based on, the reviewer hit 79 C in Valley.

My review lol.

i concur
combined experience 24 years

I don't concur, both of my 6G's are quite stellar. I don't combine my PC experience with someone else and I have 22 years personally.

it was a joke, your cards will be a great winter heater for your office:D
personally i cant wait until MSI lightning has to offer using a sup up non reference board cherry picked GPU processors and the more beefy heatsink and fan. Also looking forward to the dual bios mods people will release. I predict this card reaching 1600mhz on the core with the same temps you are getting

it was a joke, your cards will be a great winter heater for your office:D
personally i cant wait until MSI lightning has to offer using a sup up non reference board cherry picked GPU processors and the more beefy heatsink and fan. Also looking forward to the dual bios mods people will release. I predict this card reaching 1600mhz on the core with the same temps you are getting

Ahh ok, I didn't get the joke then but I don't have any temp issues with them. I keep the house nice and cool at 72F anyway. I haven't had a heat issue with a video card since I got rid of the AMD 7950's I had a few years ago, those would actually heat up the room noticeably.

I dont know where you have been reading but every single person here goes well over 70 during heavy gaming. Mid to upper 70s is the norm for this card on auto fan settings even at out of the box clocks. Even in the review this thread is based on, the reviewer hit 79 C in Valley.

Mine doesn't exceed 70c about 95% of the time even in the most demanding games, honest truth. I do run a custom fan profile but they never exceed 85-90%.

Back