• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MSI Eclipse X58 Sneak Peek @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
2FA
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
58,468
MSI Eclipse X58 Sneak Peek - MicroStar International is breaking new ground when it comes to its motherboards. MSI is helping lead the yet-to-launch Nehalem desktop processor that uses the Bloomfield core. Today we spend some time with the Eclipse X58-based motherboard for Core i7 CPUs.
 
Was the second bridge you pulled out of the box an SLI bridge? This board is supposed to support SLI as well, right?
 
Best looking board I have seen from MSI in a good while. I think the company is getting serious again about the North American enthusiast market. That is not to say it has not been present the last couple of years, but I get the impression it is stepping its game up a bit. We will see what happens.
 
Was the second bridge you pulled out of the box an SLI bridge? This board is supposed to support SLI as well, right?

Check out the 1:05 mark. The label shows 2 CF connectors. Or two CrossFire connectors/bridges/whatever you want to call them. The 9:44 mark talks about SLI in that this board is planned to officially support SLI, but is not currently certified.
 
i love how many usb ports are available too... looks like it could be a good solution to my current problem of constantly running out of usb bandwidth. (keyboards, drum machines, pedals, etc etc)

my usb cookware is rather demanding. :p
 
Two internal plugs as well. You can run a total of 10 USB2 out of the back of the box if you want.
 
certainly means i'd be good to go. can't have a music box that wont play games properly.

looking forward to some i7 reviews with similar boards.
 
That is a very good looking board. I like all of the enthusiast-aimed buttons, like teh CMOS clear on the backplate, and the LED, on/off switches. Makes life a lot easier when something goes wrong. I wish more companies would include these.

Also 10 SATA ports makes me very happy, though I don't know why they would include an IDE port. Built into the ICH10 maybe?

On a side note, does anyone know when the NDA ends on the cpu's etc so we can anticipate the [H] reviews?
 
Any good articles that talk about triple channel DDR3? I have totally ignored DDR3 up until now.
 
Wow, this board has it all.

I wonder what those CPU dip switches are at the bottom of the board do..
 
LOOOVELY!!!!!!

:D

Wudnt expect it from msi, still.


i got ONE question, which would help ALOT of people i guess.

This might just take some few mins, I7 is limited to 1.65 they CLAIM, but 1333 mhz, and then, timings this is what should be helping guys saving money.

so point1:
Lotsa benches out there say memory speed isnt that important, i've tested it myself, i get more score in synth. benches tho.

Point 2:
still phenoms are limited to DDR 1066 mhz 5-5-4-15. soo, will intel I7 be limited with timings in any way, if they EX. are limited to:
1333 mhz
1.65 V ( max safe Vdimm)
7-7-7-20

I dont know much of ddr3 to say that too, but if some guy just buy a ddr3 kit thats 5-5-5-15 1333 mhz just to make an example, and he just, omfg, i cannot run higher than 1333 mhz 7-7-7-20, maan ive wasted alot of money on memory i cannot utilize fully.

see my point ? :p

This wasnt a big issue with A64 K8 /w ddr800 cud run 3-3-3-5 or lower.

I have no need to buy a I7, and prolly wont if it aint a very good run for the money, many will, and this might help them alot on saving some money, even tho they is buying something top of the line.

i got mushkins rated 1150 mhz (ddr2) 5-5-4-12 and tested 5-4-4-9 @ 1200. with a64, but still cannot go higher than 1100 5-5-4-15. waste of $$$
 
Wow, this board has it all.

I wonder what those CPU dip switches are at the bottom of the board do..

They make your cpu do annoying 90's dances

OR

They make a giant bowl of green goo come out to melt cartoon characters.
judge_doom.jpg
 
Price? Its the one thing about the X58 boards that kills me is the price targets I've heard so far (north of X48). A $275 proc and a $250+ mobo? ugh... I'll stick with my 9450@3.2 for a while.

(cant watch video, @ work)
 
From my experiences so far, there are no LIMITS on RAM speed or voltage beyond what is likely not usable by 99.9% of the enthusiasts out there.

My guess on this is that there is so much memory bandwidth there that the only place you are going to see noticeable differences are in synthetic benchmarks.
 
Price? Its the one thing about the X58 boards that kills me is the price targets I've heard so far (north of X48). A $275 proc and a $250+ mobo? ugh... I'll stick with my 9450@3.2 for a while.

(cant watch video, @ work)

LOL! $275 i7 processor? Yeah, you will be waiting a while whether you want to or not.
 
Remember when the first Q6700's came out? They were like $6-700, and nowhere NEAR the new-ness, marketing-ness/ enthusiast-needingness that the i7's will be. Guaranteed, the first ones out will be ~$900 plus...
 
all new intel stuff is expensive, and even the p4's was expensive, we need to see really stiff competition from amd before prices get very low.

Even when amd was bashing intel, intel had way higher prices.( This is in norway, where the GTX260 is more expensive than 4870, and not the other way around.) even after rebate the gtx260 is higher priced than avg priced 4870.

still intel somehow managed to sell a hell lotsa P4's.

Lets just hope amd deneb chips will be powerfull, and prices are slashed. and then, we're all happy. gpu war is in full act. we only need a full cpu war.

And btw sig is not updated was from my a64 setup with same mushkins, now running 1066 5-5-4-15.

But still worth checking out if there are some limits on the timings, etc. amd have it on their phenoms, i doubt my 4 am2+ boards got same limit, and the 2 phenoms 3dfi and 1gb.

Still, i fear msi have left out alot of work in the BIOS. waiting on review, maybe msi have turned to the better again, looks good so far =)
 
VERY NICE looking motherboard. Finally MSI boards w/out the crazy colors/circu-pipe crap.
 
The CMOS reset on the backplate seemed like a good idea when I first heard it...but don't you think alot of people are going to accidently reset their CMOS when unplugging/plugging in cables?
 
whats the max ram, 6x4GB=24GB???? nice.... btw, why does intel have so many chipsets.. like x38 and p35.. like come on
 
nice looking board. i dont' like the cmos button, i prefer how it is on my dk p35 dfi board, its a jumper accessible out the back, no chance of accidently pushing it while inserting usb stuff etc and losing those precious overclocks :p lol
 
These videos are getting better and better. Just an idea, but it would be cool if you could do a little video segment for some of your regular print reviews as well.

As for the board itself, it looks more like an ASUS board than most of MSI's recent offerings (in other words, a really good thing). More products like this and MSI could find themselves rising up the list of preferred enthusiast products really quickly. After checking out the preview of Gigabyte's upcoming X58 board, it looks like MSI might even take second place this gen.
 
Does anyone know if the memory manufacturers are going to start selling triple channel, as opposed to dual channel sets of memory sticks? For all I know they already are, but I looked around online and didn't see any. It sure would save a lot money not having to purchase a fourth stick.
 
The CMOS reset on the backplate seemed like a good idea when I first heard it...but don't you think alot of people are going to accidently reset their CMOS when unplugging/plugging in cables?


I have not had that issue yet. It is has protective shoulders around the button to keep it from getting accidentally pushed.
 
Does anyone know if the memory manufacturers are going to start selling triple channel, as opposed to dual channel sets of memory sticks? For all I know they already are, but I looked around online and didn't see any. It sure would save a lot money not having to purchase a fourth stick.

Yes, they're definitely going to be selling triple-channel kits. I've seen a few pictures of yet-to-be-released kits floating around the net already. Considering this platform is going to be THE market for DDR3 in the near future, it's kind of a necessary thing.
 
Does anyone know if the memory manufacturers are going to start selling triple channel, as opposed to dual channel sets of memory sticks? For all I know they already are, but I looked around online and didn't see any. It sure would save a lot money not having to purchase a fourth stick.

Yes they will.
 
Kyle, does the board support SLi because I don't think that the connector in the box is a crossfire connector since the crossfire connector usually ships with the GPU. Only SLi connectors are shipped with the mobo, I might be wrong though.
 
I really really like the layout of the ports in the back. Even though I have mobo's that support more than 4 usb ports I usually dont connect those usb-pci brackets or connect the usb ports on the case (too lazy I guess) becuase I tend to leave the pci brackets off in favor of ventilation.
 
Only MSI board in years I can look at without sunglasses.

Also, Kyle, Dude!! Did you try to take the plastic cover off before opening the CPU socket all the way? lol.
 
Kyle, does the board support SLi because I don't think that the connector in the box is a crossfire connector since the crossfire connector usually ships with the GPU. Only SLi connectors are shipped with the mobo, I might be wrong though.

Answered above and answered in the video.
 
Also, Kyle, Dude!! Did you try to take the plastic cover off before opening the CPU socket all the way? lol.

Hehe, busted. My lack of attention is only eclipsed by me being too lazy to shoot it again to keep from looking stoopid. ;)
 
great preview kyle and team, thanks. I wonder if tripple channel will show bennifits over the dual channel? technically wont they have the same limitations, just more ram?
 
Back
Top