MSI Diamond Plus ((7220) Memory

dr_dirtnap

Limp Gawd
Anyone have any luck with this board and dual channel mode? I have tried 3 different bios, 4 different dual channel kits, and three different cpus and I cannot get this thing to do dual channel. Any time I put memory in slots 1-2 or 3-4 (MSI's dual channel config), the machine refuses to boot, but if I put them in 1-3 or 2-4 the machine boots fine, but single channel. Tried setting the timing manually, tried setting everything to auto. Nothing seems to work.

Tried the following:
Every bios that I could download

1 GB kits from OCZ, Corssair, GSkill, Crucial. (all worked fine in an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum)

Seems like many people are having similiar problems with this board, so I want to know if anyone has dual channel working in this board and the specs. CPU, Bios Version, Ram, Timings, Voltage... ect.

Other than the board somehow trying to run the memory way out of spec....I don't know.
From my sig you see im using just 2x512 corsair value ram in dual channel just fine, even OC'ed to 216mhz 2.5-3-3-8 1T.

2x1GB Corsair XMS and 2x1GB G.Skill DDR500 have both worked fine in dual channel on my Diamond Plus...

Mine has just started doing the same thing. I had everything working with 2x1 gig corsair xms dual channel kit ram in the green slots 1+3 and it was showing up as dual channel with bios version 1.00 that shipped on my board. I flashed to the new 308 bios that Kyle highly recommended in the review they just did and I can't get it to go baack to dual channel for anything. I guess I'm going to try going back to the orig bios.

I had major issues with the beta bios too, still ran my ram in dual channel, but I think it changed my ram timings cause I lost ~600MB in sandra right off the bat. I'm sticking with the 1.0 bios till an official update comes out. Also, dunno if Kyle or anyone is reading this thread, but the article refers to the "308" bios, and the one kyle linked at the end is the "3.0A" bios, dunno if theres a difference or if one you got straight from an MSI support person or what. I'm sure theres more than a few interested people itching for a better bios.

Mine works fine on the G.Skill DDR-500.

I tried the v1.0 bios with the ram in green 1+3 like the manual says that worked when i first built this a week ago and still got single channel mode. I then changed no settings and put the ram in 1+2 green/purple slots like was suggested for msi boards in another thread and it WORKED!

When booting the shipped v1.0 would show ddr400 (dual channel) during post.
Bios version 3.0a would also show ddr400 (single channel) during post.
But now with the v1.0 I flashed from their website it no longer reports the channel mode. It just says ddr400 so I am using cou-z to report the mode.

:edit:
I was wondering if the ram was truley running in dual channel mode with the ram in 1+2. But my 3dmarks05 went up 1k points by just moving the sticks. I'm sitting at 8127 with an X2 4800+ and BFG 7900GT.

I will pass this along to MSI. I did not see any of these issues and we ran this board very hard for days and days.

From MSI.

I have gone ahead and set up a system to reproduce the problem that the [H] forum members are having. For running the system in dual channel, memory modules need to be in dimm 1 & 2 or dimm 3 & 4 (Green & Purple Slots). In order to run Single Channel, the memory modules need to be in dimm 1 & 3 or dimm 2 & 4 (Both Green or Both Purple Slots).

As for bios vers. 1.00, I have verified that when the system does P.O.S.T., it does not show if it is running in Dual Channel or Single Channel but does show the speed of the memory. I have gone ahead and have told MSI HQ to solve this problem as soon as possible.

For those that are going to be updating their bios’ to the one in your review, they will no longer find the bios version 3.08 on our website due to the fact that we have made a better bios. We have gone ahead and released a new BETA bios, version 3.0A that can be found here. For bios 3.0A, we have fixed the following issues:

1. Fixed Marvell Lan can detect when onboard LAN controller is enable.
2. Fixed Keyboard LED still on after S3,S4 and shutdown.

3. Fixed CPU FSB can't adjust above 300MHz issue.
4. Add auto detect DDR 500.

5. Fixed CPU ratio can't adjust for FX CPU series.

If your [H] Forum member do flash their bios’ to 3.0A, we would please recommend that they either use the .BAT file that is attatched or to include when they flash the bios /C /B /P /N commands at the end of the bios file. i.e. AFDOS404 A7220NMS.3.08 / C /B /P /N.

Thanks for your help Kyle! I'm going to try going back to bios 3.0a with the sticks in 1+2. I never tried that combination untill after I went back to the v1.0 bios.

:edit:
Just flashed to 3.0a. Memory is running ddr400 (dual channel) and is reported during post properly. Confirmed in XP with CPU-z. Ram is in Green socket 1 and Purple socked 2.

Back